1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is This A Good Price? - Classic Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have a renewed interest in some older guns. I have a dealer with the following gun.....A. H. Fox Sterlingworth 12ga 28in barrel Side by Side barrel Wood stock w/Double triggers, PHILADELPHIA MGF,TIGHT ACTION. Priced @ $899. Is this a fair price?

Matt

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

It is hard to say without pictures. Is the gun in original condition or has the gun been refinished in any way?
    Are the barrels the original length or were they cut? Do you know the choke measurements and wall thickness? Are the ribs intact do the barrels ring true? How is the wood? There are lots of factors that determine value these are just a few. $899.00 is at the upper range of the scale for a 12 gauge. It should be all original with no problems for that price, with about 85% original case color on the reciever.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

When I used to attend gun shows, the Fox Sterlingworth and the Parker Trojan were considered hardware store grade guns, AKA, lowest quality.

They seem to have elevated on the quality scale somewhat.

The asking price is about what I've seen them priced at, although if I wanted one it would have to be nice.

Regards.....Gerald

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Matt, for that price I'd want an ejector gun. Sounds like a field grade, and as always, condition is everything: Good remaining case colors, orig wood and excellant bores. Can you provide a photo and SR# so date can be established?

best...mike

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

To all that has responded, thanks for your input. I have not seen the gun yet. It is around 2 hours away from me. A dealer has listed it on his website, but does not include pics (no pics with any gun). I am really naive on this gun, and don't know what to look for. Don't want to be a sucker! Yes, it is a field gun. That is what I want it for.

Matt

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If he doesn't send pic's then walk away. If your still interested in the gun without pic's then have him meet you half way. You said its a 2 hour drive. Find a place that is 1 hour away.

If I don't have pic's then I walk away.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Matt,

There's a good saying in the collector car circles, fill your library before you fill your garage. The same can be said for older guns.

I've seen a lot of people overspend on what they thought was a nice original unaltered gun, only to find out later on the gun was restored at some point in time. Nothing wrong with a restored gun, but the price should reflect that it is a restored piece and not original. My philosophy is I buy restored guns for using and nice originals for collecting.

ss

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

condition is everything.

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Doubt if it a restored gun for that price. A restoration will run several hundred more than that price.

10. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Since Al Gore gave us the internet computor pix's are the rule. I bought/sold/traded MANY guns through Shotgun News only by phone calls and true condition %'s. Those days are long gone now!

11. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Hey Matt, 40 years ago I was looking at a mint Parker 20 VHE. I was told by the local experts that $350 was toooo much and if I looked I could get a better deal. I'm still looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.