1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Is this a flinch***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LWLarson, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Alright guys/gals... Is this a flinch? I am fresh off of our state shoot. Shot decent (92) in a friday handicap event, felt pretty good nothing out of the ordinary. Shot average to just a tad under in our singles. Then in the Sunday hcap finale... 7 times in the 100 targets I swung out on left hand targets and upon trying to pull the trigger, had my upper body "relax" dropping the barrel several inches shooting well low of the target.

I used to have a similar feeling phenomena, only in an attempt to recover, I would essentially jerk back up and do a circle around the bird... hitting it rarely upon the jerk back to it... This would happen once or twice in 200-300 targets. Not a huge deal.

Once it started in this last event, my head swam, and I dropped notably more targets.

My question is this... Is this a flinch? I am considering trying a release, but am not sure if this is the beginning of flinching or what... Very frustrating.

Thanks,

LWL

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

LWL- Based entirely on your words, especially the word relax, what you have described is not a flinch. Muscles relax when they do not get motor nerve signals. A flinch is a result of an involuntary motor signal going to a muscle set and resulting in a muscle jerk or inhibitory signals stopping a muscle contraction (can't pull trigger).

Now, if your body jerked the gun down rather than your muscles relaxing and letting the gun go down, that would be a flinch.

Pat Ireland

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

cross-fire? Left handers.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds more like you got lazy and arm shooting rather than if you were pivoting properly!

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Could be one of many things. Concentration issues, heat, fatigue, etc, all hard to pin down unless there's a common denominator that occurs each time.

Eric

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like you lost physical control, immediately after losing mental control, of your process of seeing reading and creating the proper relationship. Far from a flinch if I read your post correctly. If that, you can fix the problem by going back to the basics in becoming one with your gun. Only the eyes move independently once the gun is mounted and the bird called for and seen?

Hap

7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Cross-fire

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Flinch . I have the same problem sometimes and rarely a finger flinch , always a left arm movement and like you this past week saw it more . About 4 times in 50 targets this time . 3 times the week before . I usually push the gun outwards but maybe caught it in time and swirled around the bird ?? I don`t like it one bit and I also shoot a release going on 15+years . Can`t shoot a pull trigger anymore and when I do decide it`s in my head , I`ll flinch more . A few years ago I could go back and forth , release to a pull but thats over now .

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Sounds to me like you were mentally and physically tired and fatigued. But not flinching. Rest up and try again, before you start thinking you are flinching. Good luck.

John E.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PK has it right. Just about the time you think you are on the target your left eye gives aiming back to yur dominant right gun bbl eye and you drop the bbl to get on target. The typical crossfire has you aiming left and high and the drop you describe is just yoou trying to get thegun back to where it is supposed to be. Usually this process is followed up by a hesitation "flinch-like". What's the cure? easy. sell tht MX2000 cmbo to me for abut 3 grand.

Lotta possible cures. But all are trial and experiment. I worked on mine all last year andonly this year did I defeat mine. Still hapensoccasionally, but usually near enough the target adnit breaks.

You kno how to reach me for "crossfire suggestions". Just $50 apiece till you sell me the MX2000.

11. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Mr.Kiner,

Can you explain the crossfire phenomena. I have heard of it, but am not clear as to what it is... I took your clinic several years ago. You may not remember, but I had a true flinch after your took your infamous marker to my bead. Haven't had one since. Unless what I described is one... Different from what I felt in your clinic where the gun wouldn't go off.... I am assuming that a release trigger will do nothing for the crossfire.

Jack.... I can't believe you would hose me on my baby like that. Thats a low blow even for a Bears fan... You must be bitter cause your team sucks so bad...

Jimmy Bowen... You and your known ability BS... You should be banned from all classification tables, as you are more slippery than the gun jockey PalletJack.... I will admit though, your club and targets have given me more yards than any other.... Did you like my new bumble bee... I loved that yellow, but it is brighter than anything I have ever driven. Fun car to drive. Not as fast as the Camaro SS, but way smoother...

Thanks a bunch to the rest of you offering suggestions and help... Still trying to figure out what was going on... My head was definitely swimming with attempted self diagnosis.

LWL

12. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Mr.Kiner,

Can you explain the crossfire phenomena. I have heard of it, but am not clear as to what it is... I took your clinic several years ago. You may not remember, but I had a true flinch after your took your infamous marker to my bead. Haven't had one since. Unless what I described is one... Different from what I felt in your clinic where the gun wouldn't go off.... I am assuming that a release trigger will do nothing for the crossfire.

Jack.... I can't believe you would hose me on my baby like that. Thats a low blow even for a Bears fan... You must be bitter cause your team sucks so bad...

Jimmy Bowen... You and your known ability BS... You should be banned from all classification tables, as you are more slippery than the gun jockey PalletJack.... I will admit though, your club and targets have given me more yards than any other.... Did you like my new bumble bee... I loved that yellow, but it is brighter than anything I have ever driven. Fun car to drive. Not as fast as the Camaro SS, but way smoother...

Thanks a bunch to the rest of you offering suggestions and help... Still trying to figure out what was going on... My head was definitely swimming with attempted self diagnosis.

LWL

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No. It's a "sploink."

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

P K hit it on the nose. If you are getting the cross fire problem, best bet do something to block the off eye from seeing the bead. for some a cross fire eliminator (trhe blade on the barrel that prevents the off eye from seeing the bead) may help. I noticed that P K uses one on his barrel. Myself I had to go full bore and use a piece of tape on the off lens of my shooting glasses. Try it, It really works. The cross fire can show up at any time but is more common when your eyes are tired. The busy aiming eye lets the off eye take over. Lots of luck.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.