1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is this a flinch???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

About 2 or 3 times per 100 I call for the bird see it move to it and pull the trigger and nothing happens. Then I pull it a little more and it goes off. By this time I and no where near the bird and sort of started to dis mount my gun. Now I amd very safety consious and I do not put my finger on my trigger until i mount the gun. Could it be that is what I don't do these some times?? When I miss one like that. The next few I make a consious effort to put my finger on the trigger before I call pull. The porblem with this is that is all I think about at the time. Should I add that to my check list until it becomes natural? I normally mount gun. ask my self does it feel correct. Line up beads as I like them. focus out at trap and beyond. tell myself to get it and also to slow down. call for bird move to it pull trigger. Any one have any idea?
    thanks
    mike t

2. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

Mike,

I used to flinch about 5 birds a hundred, and they would usualy be losses back when I was younger. An old timer (the smartest of all shooters) told me to "slap" the trigger, just by putting my finger all the way forward on the guard and when the picture lines up, just let your finger fly, and you will flinch at first pretty bad, but after awhile it will just come natural... like when you first started to shoot two-eyed.

It could also be that your trigger pull poundage is too much or it just needs a good oil job and some cleaning.

I hope this works for you, and best of luck on the line!!

P.S. is this mike TREGO?

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Mike;

Assuming your trigger is in decent shape, yes, it certainly sounds like a flinch. Have you been shooting for a long time or do you remember ever being bothered by recoil? Either adds weight to the possibility of a flinch.

You also mentioned that you "line up the beads as I like them". This is problematic. When you mount your gun, the beads should line up properly without having to wiggle the gun into place on your shoulder. When a gun fits and your shooting form is correct, the gun can be repeatedly mounted and the beads will align the same way each time.

You might try closing your eyes and mounting the gun before opening your eyes. If your gun fits and your gun mount is correct, the beads will be aligned the same way each time. If they are not, you either need practice mounting your gun to achieve a consistent mount, or have your stock fitted to your particular size and shape.

Rollin

4. mike T

mike T Member

NO I am not Mike Trego

I have been shooting since the 1970's quite for 20+ years started again in 2003 or 2004. I shoot a682 combo. When I mount the gun what I meant was it feels correct and the beads line up as I like them. If I happen to mount it too high or too low then thing don't line up and I take it down and start over. I think the issue is I may or may not put my finger on the trigger. When I am shooting I really don't consiously know if I do or don't touch the triger when I call for the bird. After I have one of the "goofs" the I make sure I have my finger on the trigger. But then that is distracting as that is what my mind is set on. any help.
    mike t

5. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

I know that sometimes when i get an angle bird, i automaticaly touch the trigger with my finger before i shoot. ive noticed it a few times and it happens 90% of the time and i don't even know about it or really care.... this could be your problem... and if your gun is in good working shape and recoil is not affecting your cheek or shoulder any then it will just take some time to work it out.

In any case, best of luck in shooting and I hope you can work this out!!!!!

Mr. Pro

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

mike t - Sounds like the first stages of a flinch to me. Few of us are smart enough to think about what our finger is doing a d think about the bird at the same time. I can make a few suggestions but I have no idea if they will work for you. First- lay of shooting for about 2 weeks and see if the problem goes away. Of course, the more you think about not thinking about the problem, the worse it becomes. Second, try a slightly heavier trigger pull. Third, just begin thinking a little bit about how many shooters use a release trigger and try to sort out in your mind who so many use this system.

Pat Ireland

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Worn out springs and worn pins can cause that also. The sears won't engage the same every time under those circumstances. You get used to a certain pressure to unlock the sears after many rounds and then the surprise pops up. Just another area to look at. I've had this happen to my TM-1 and model 12s (pull triggers), all things mechanical are bound to wear somewhere along the way. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.