1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there that much of a difference ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gwenzilla, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwenzilla

Gwenzilla TS Member

OK, Since I have too much time on my hands today I put this question out just because its been banging around my empty noggin for awhile.... lets say you have loaded five different reloads using different powders, wads and primers, but all were loaded with the same 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2 size shot, and you loaded ALL these different combos to chrono at 1145 fps, would there be any appreciable performance difference both downrange or at the patterning board using the same gun... and if so can you elaborate on the reason one 1145 fps round would perform different than another 1145 fps load shot from the same gun ?

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

wad makes a lot of difference as does burn rate of the powder and the two combined can influence pattern.

J.F.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I don't think it makes any difference.

Don't believe me and don't feel like counting pellet holes on a buncha patterns? Go take a 5/5 or even a 3/3 flip test. Betcha flunk.

Friends, this is shot-shell reloading, not bench-rest rifle. Don't make it too hard.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'tis an oilfield mystery, for sure, but 'tis also pure fact.

That's why guns are feminine, and the best parallel is perfume & body chemistry.

Barrel harmonics? Elasticity of the steel made on Wednesday and Friday differ? Headspace of the different hulls? How good/soon one wad seals over another one?

Who knows, but if your gun has a preference (and many don't) you will know it.

You can argue, threaten and browbeat a kid into eating vegetables, but you can't make a good woman wear Joy if it makes her stink, and some guns just will NOT digest AA loads.

{shrug}

Bob

5. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

If it's through a tight choke they will all be very similar. One bunch of pellets blasted out into an airflow behaves much like any other bunch of pellets (on average). There's not much subtlety with a shotgun. Things may be a little different with open chokes where the wad action right near the muzzle has more significance. I have don't much to test this latter case.

Andrew.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've done some serious ten-counted-pattern-testing with wads based on claimed difference on TS.com. Through full chokes, there never was a lick of difference.

Neil

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

But Neil. Can your opinion still be trusted or do I have to demand supportive evidence? Hmmmm?

;-)

Jim c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.