1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there still a market for "fixed" trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Is there still a market for fixed choke, fixed rib, trap guns in today's market? Or do they have to have all the bells & whistles to make it a paying proposition.

One of the most dynamic trap guns that I've ever shot was a DB-81 combo. Both the 34" single and the 31 1/2" O/U's handled great. This gun was just simply a dream to shoot.

ss

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Is there still a market for

Fancy and adjustable is cool, but if it fits and it hits, nothing else matters. When I tire of trying to buy success, I go back to my modest old Beretta Mark II and crush 'em. Mr. Waalkes makes a good point about market prices, though. For me, however, that's a good thing because I can buy the guns I like at lower prices!

-Gary

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Fixed vs adjustable ribs like fixed vs mobile chokes are items of personal preference. Personally, I prefer fixed on both. My experience with adjustable ribs is they're easily bent and rattle like a clap-trap when you shoot or close the gun. Mobile chokes have two problems...they come out when you don't want them to and won't come out when you do want them to, but they're cheaper to make than bbls. with fixed chokes. Does that give you a hint why mfrs. sold shooters a "load of poles" to believe you need different chokes at different yardages?

Buz

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta DT-10 Unsingle combo, the adjustable rib on the unsingle is a useful,I will adjust it for caps if the targets are high. but for doubles one on the O/U I don't think I would find a useful feature.If I could have gotten it with fixed chokes I would have both barrels have tubes and I never change them.

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

Geez, I just put a Morgan pad on my K-32 and though I was getting high tech.

6. anglia1

anglia1 Member

Some of the best shooters in ata trap shoot fixed rib guns. Bonillas,Kelly and about 50% of the guys I have to shoot against in Ca. do.That said,most of them have stocks fitted or made for the look they want to see.

Don

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't think this is entirely true. If you have an adjustable stock and don't mind shooting off the end of your barrel then that's all you need. You only gain a desired two bead site picture with an adjustable rib. If you're looking at your rib and sites then your looking in the wrong place anyway.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Here is my opinion for what it's worth......I believe there are both advantages and disadvantages. The big advantage to an adjustable rib is RESALE. You have more opportunities to sell an adjustable rib. With an adjustable rib, if you shoot 60/40, you can sell the gun to a 80/20 shooter. This deters people when buying fixed rib guns. The choke issue has it's own opinions. Some people wouldn't consider buying a gun with screw in chokes, while others wouldn't consider buying a gun without. If you buy a gun and believe it is the last gun you will ever get, it is up to the shooter to be happy.

Matt

9. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

If I ever buy another trap gun,(heh, heh), it will be a fixed rib, fixed choke, adjustable comb. I currently shoot a Mach One. I never change the choke and only lower the rib if it's really windy and the birds are sailing way up. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I moved the comb.

I think adjustability can be both a good thing and the road to frustration and sometimes leads to the shooter focusing on the gun and not and what he should be doing to see and move to the target effectively.

10. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I prefer the fixed rib and choke because they force me to leave well enough alone.

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Adjusting your rib to shoot a "high" or "low" target is a recipe for disaster.

12. psfive

psfive Member

As the adjustable guns become more and more popular I'll just wait. Then I will just keep buying (at a reduced price ) all the "FIXED" guns I can. Oh and buy the way thank you very much. Paul

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Adjustable ribs, combs and butt plates are great for those who can't find an off the shelf gun that fits. For most of us a custom made stock is hard to justify due to the cost. Recoil reducers allow many who otherwise would have to give up the games a chance to extend their shooting lives.

I happen to be one of the lucky ones who is 5'10" and average in every way so most factory guns fit me without modification. However, being a left handed shooter the stock must be neutral.

As for chokes, for trap I believe having the ability to change them leads many shooters astray. Where a full choke should work for everything from the 16 to the 27 shooters become conflicted by what choke to use and it plays mind games with them. If you only use one gun for all clay target games then interchangible chokes are a must have and allow shooters with limited finances to participate in games they otherwise might have to sit out.

Sure would level the playing field if all guns were created equal though. I'm going to contact the Obama administration about this as soon as Trappy sends his letter.

Robert

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

short shucker.... It is no secret on this site that I, too, have an ongoing love affair with the venerable DB-81 Combo. I have had just about all of adjustable ribbed, choke tubed guns I want, and I returned to the DB-81. My last gun was a nice MX-15 that was a combo gun with an MX-8 step ribbed O/U barrel. All the barrels had choke tubes. Nice gun, but just didn't feel right. I couldn't "move" the gun properly. Had a nice KS-5 Special with the adjustable rib, choke tubes, etc., and it just wasn't quite right either. The DB-81, on the other hand, just feels PERFECT, and is, without a doubt, the finest gun I have ever handled, or owned. There is, however, a noticeable difference in feel, to me, between the newer DB-81 Specials and the older DB-81's that came with 2 forends and 2 trigger sets. The older style seems to move to the target with less effort, have better balance, and is a natural "pointer" while the Special seems to require just a little more effort. Perhaps it's just in the way I feel the gun move, but, I much prefer the older models. My current DB has a 34" fixed choke single, tuned by Tom Wilkenson, .742" bore and .708 choke. The 311/2" O/U barrels are standard, fixed choke, .727" barrels choked .020" bottom, .032" top. Serial number is 55XXX. While this gun will never command the price a MX-2000-RS combo will, in my opinion, it is a hell of a lot more gun, for the money, than the MX-2000 is.... I'm happy with my choice. Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

My idea of the usefullness of an adjustable gun is simply that when you get it set for your style and game, leave it alone. I change chokes between 16(0.020")and 27 yards(0.035")and have long ago settled on 0.015" and 0.025" for doubles. However, I do use the O/U for Sporting Clays and change to "bigger holes" for that, along with lowering the comb 1/8" or so. Great vesatile gun (Kolar) and even shoot occasional skeet with it.

A lot of us can remember when there were a lot of nice guns with the combs shaved,the barrels bent, and the chokes reamed to god knows where. Talk about "no sale" items. Adjusable combs were the first innovation to avoid that problem then the adjustable ribs were next, along with the choke tubes...oh yes, remember when lots of folks were having their fixed chokes "made better" by any number of bumbling gunsmiths,along with stories of shooters bending barrels over shot bags and truck bumpers? Talk about buyers beware of these mostly ruined barrels.

Just another opinion...

Larry

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I shot all my singles this year with a 4e that is the same as it left the factory. All those adjustments are just another thing to forget or screw up. jmho, Bill

17. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

gary waalkes....after the perazzi dealer told you that no one wants a fixed rib trap gun anymore, you should have told him you were there to inquire about the new tm9 fixed rib single barrel perazzi. dwain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.