1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there hope for a new product to ever be made???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

When I was at the Ohio State Shoot I spoke with one of MEC's employees. I asked him if they had ever considered making a "Boxer". By this I mean a machine that will put 25 shells in a box instead of the do it by hand method that we all do now. I guess I am lazy, but I hate this part of reloading. Would anyone else be interested in a machine that would do this? I did send them an email asking if they might consider making one at the employee's suggestion.

Charlie Becknell

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Charlie- They are available now, but they take a lot of room and are expensive. All of the shell manufacturers use them. The loaded shells are not "put in a box". The box is formed around the loaded shells.

Pat Ireland

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Charlie, What was the employee's suggestion? Holy canoly Pat - that's alot of machine.

4. Charlie Becknell

Joe,
    When I spoke with the MEC rep. at Ohio he just suggested that I let MEC know there might be interest in the machine. I told him that there are several good reloaders on the market but no "Boxer". I believe that it would sale.

Charlie

Pat,
    I have not seen a commercially available "Boxer". Can you expand upon your reply.

5. Charlie Becknell

Thanks Jerry. Fast forward to fifteen and that is the current model I have. He is too interested in other things to box for old dad. With gas prices going up and looking at adding another driver next year, they may be "Boxing" me next year.

Charlie

6. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

They have been making boxers for a long time now. My 11 year old is doing the same for me as I did for my father years ago.

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know ... you need to open your ears and hear what the MEC dude actually told you.

He was nicely telling you to leave him alone and to call the people at the plant and tell them your great fantastic idea cause he knows it will never happen and he is paid to be nice and tell you what you desire to hear.

Now if for some reason they did make a machine to do this task and this machine was going to cost $2500 after R&D vs. the few that would sell would you be jumping up to buy one or would you now say its to expensive?

Ya know you could always design and come up with one on your own and then get a patent on it and begin production and become a millionaire from all that you will sell since you know they will sell.

8. Charlie Becknell

I have no idea if they would sell. Would I spend $2,500? Probably not. I was merely asking the question to see if others were interested. There several self-indexing reloaders and they sell for less than $1,000.00. I do not know what the cost would be make an automated machine. As far as me designing anything mechanical, that is not going to happen. By the way, he was very nice and he was the one who made the suggestion that I send in the idea to MEC. If reloading stays as expensive as it is currently I may continue to buy the off brand type of shells that are "prepackaged".

Charlie

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

What's really needed is a machine to take the damn shells out of the box, so I don't have to pry open the cover to dump them into my pocket.

10. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

dickgtax: see Jerry as above!!!! Don

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

For some reason I guess "boxing" is a job no reloader likes. When I was a kid, I was a boxer for my Dad. He reloaded on a single stage Mec, I think it was the 250 model. It would take him probably 15 minutes to reload 25, but he didn't like spending the minute or so it took to box the shells. That was my job.

I'm the same way now. I hate "boxing" shells. Now I just put them in a 5 gallon bucket. I just grab 5 in a hand and dump them in my shooting vest till I get 25. I then fill up my shooting bag with the rest if I'm shooting a 100.

12. Charlie Becknell

I have mastered the unboxing. Too bad boxing is not as quick.
    Charlie

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

It takes me about 5 seconds put 25 shells in a box...<BR><BR>
    [​IMG]<BR><BR>
    But then I can put them into this as I load them as I load on a 650 and not one of them fancy "auto-indexing" machines...Josh

14. Charlie Becknell

Forget the "boxer", I'll get the Jollytrapshooter to do mine in 2 seconds. I doubt they can make a machine to match this dynamo. Huh, how much do you charge ? I have tried to do mine quickly but I'm no match for " The Man".
    I am willing to trade boxing for my "expert" advice. I can have you flinching and jumping at targets, hating left angle in no time.

Charlie

15. KXT5

KXT5 TS Member

My ol' lady can't wrestle, ---- but you ought to see her---- "BOX" marty

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jollytrapshooter can load the shells in a box in around two seconds. But it could take more time to put the shells into his loading rack that puts the shells in the box, than loading them directly into the box.

Also, Jollytrapshooter, I noted that you mixed red and gray AA shells in the same box. The two different hulls are identical, except for color, but I do not mix the colors in the same box.

I want all of the shells in a single box to be the same color. I don't have any idea why I want this, I just do.

Pat Ireland

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, they have to be the same color. At a shoot I loaned a buddy a box of shells, all red and one green one.

Guess which one was a miss.

HM

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Need pictures, Marty........ ;) lol lol

Hauxfan!

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

hmmmm.... going to be embarrassed when that 25 shell doesn't show up... notice the 4 across....
    lol

Jim

20. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I used to box shells, and I hated it also. Finally, I got a small job bag at menards (heavy duty for carrying tools - about 12"x8"x8", opens with a wide mouth on the top). I put that under my Spolar, the shells drop in, and I'm good to go. Holds a little over 300 shells - enough for a short day.

When I get to the field, I fill my pouch and go shoot. Since I can't count to five, I put 4 shells in the outer pocket and one in my hand (don't miss a Move that way). It has been working great, and I highly recommend it.

Please note - I tried therapy, Prozac and other medications to clear this disorder up first!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.