1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any truth to harder targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Yesterday we were shooting some targets by Midwest target co. and no one was breaking as many targets as when we shoot White Flyers and there were a lot of chips. I said it was because these were harder targets. The club said this year they could get federal champion targets a dollar cheaper per case than White Flyers so that is what they thought they would get. Is there anything to a target is harder than another one?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

3 hole is tougher than 2 hole

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We've thrown Midwest for years. I can't tell a difference between them and White Flyers.

Champions are another story. Break out the HEAVY 7.5s.

SW

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Same here

5. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

As a former trap boy many years ago all my experience was with White Flyer targets at trapfields in southern Md.,many a case were opened with already broken targets,sometimes to the point of having to stop shooting to remove several stacks to find good ones.Also many targets breaking just leaving the trap house,this is in no way scientific,just my experience.

6. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

I guess it is hard to be a champion.

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

If they were harder, they would break easier.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't know about those brands, but there is a real difference between Bio targets and regular targets. The Bio's are much harder to break.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We had to switch from white flyer to champion targets in the middle of a public shoot last fall. The difference was immediately obvious. What I'm wondering is why isn't there some kind of standard "breakability" that the clay manufacturers have to adhere to? Bill

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

They are all hard targets when I shoot. lol

Hauxfan!

11. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

There are shooting targets and shipping targets, for us out west it was W.Flyer and Eclipse and the shipping targets were Caldwells..

Ron H.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

BIO's more difficult to break-I doubt it and my scores don't show it. Better color but more unpredictable in flight-maybe. Champions are a different animal!!

13. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Put the shot on the target and it will break. A fringe hit may go unnoticed .. might make a better shooter if you tighten up that choke and put as much shot on the target as you can (that is what Leo likes to say)....merlyn

14. nejones

nejones Member

As long as everyone is shooting the same targets at a shoot, does it really matter?

Blessings,
    Nelson

15. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I put a lot more gravy on hard targets and let it soak in a bit before I can stomach em!

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Actually not harder but softer. To hard and they would break off the arm. That's laymen terms. But it is with the composition formula nevertheless.

If your having issues with ability to break and negative feedback from patron's, you better change targets before they change clubs!

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"...we have picked up numerous birds with numerous holes in them which did not break"

Were any those holes in the target rim? I have never seen a hole through the target rim of an unbroken target. I've seen cracked rims but not holes. I have seen holes in the dome of all brands that were "lost." The dome isn't a vital organ.

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

While shooting Annie's Saturday I saw a White Flyer very noticably change direction when shot at and not break. It was out there- prob only 3' off of the ground, but I had never seen that before. I mean it deviated a good couple of feet before hitting the ground. Not even a chip came off of it.

19. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

We shoot Midwest targets almost all the time and have not had any problems with them. Are you sure that they didn't get wet.

Dave

20. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Out here in Mondamtana, you better have pitch White Flyers for Registered shoots or attendence will suffer, for us its the best bird, a lot of ATAers think so anyway. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is hard shooy better for breaking targets

shooy the targets