1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any savings in reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jornski, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

go to the cost calk on trapshooters home pagehttp://www.trapshooters.com/calculators.htm

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

With the remington wads,primers clays powder and shot at 22 a bag that i bought in spring and is almost gone runs 4.25 on cost calculator. No shell or loader cost factored in. I like to load my own. plus i get to load some light loads for me and my wife. I ran my first 50 with my own loads. Liked that very much.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

by the way no not really.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

What kind of savings are you looking for? you never did save a lot by reloading. but you did save dollars if you never considered your time. Nothing has changed.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have become convinced that the quality of the discount shells is not as good as a typical reload. There is a reason discount shells are cheap.

Pat Ireland

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I buy supplies from our club. Shot just went to $35 per bag.

I calculated 1 oz. loads at $4.04 and 7/8 oz. loads at $3.73, using Clays powder. This includes free hulls, because I can pick up all I want at the club. No amortization of loader costs.

It's still a little cheaper, not much. You probably can't justify the time, and then there's the expense of the loader and those supplies.

I have some trouble finding the 1 oz. loads, and almost never find the 7/8 oz. loads, at these prices. The Dick's and Wal-Mart buys are almost all 1 1/8 oz. 7/8 is nice for 16-yard practice, and all that's really needed for most skeet shooting.

Danny

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Loading my own shells is in my opinion considered relaxation (except when I run out of primers and dump powder on my table) and thus cheap "therapy". Usually just me and the big dog. He never bothers me with conversation and I am alone with my thoughts. A nice somewhat quiet time......and then there's that belief that one can load a better shell that can be bought.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Loading my own shells is in my opinion considered relaxation (except when I run out of primers and dump powder on my table) and thus cheap "therapy". Usually just me and the big dog. He never bothers me with conversation and I am alone with my thoughts. A nice somewhat quiet time......and then there's that belief that one can load a better shell that can be bought. My thoughts exactly.
    Don

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

With in the last 2 weeks I've bought all the components for reloading Fed. gold medals. I use factory components only. Using the cost calculator it cost me $4.32 for 1 1/8 oz, 19 gr. clays and $4.00 for 1 oz, 18gr. clays per box of 25.

I enjoy reloading so I don't figure my time in the cost. I also figure that I have premium shells so I compare the price to the same quality of new shells.

If I was doing this to make a living there is no way it would be worth it, but as a hobby I guess it's up to the individual to determine whats worth their time and money.

Bill

10. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

If you "can't afford" new shells, and you are telling yourself that the savings on reloads is the only thing that makes the sport possible for you - then you are kidding yourself. If the numbers simply don't work with new shells, then you shouldn't be shooting.

If you're retired, and your wife just sits and works crossword puzzles, and you don't want to go to the store with her, then by all means, reload and tell us how "relaxing" it is.

But if you're young, working, your kids are still around & you're trying to have some balance in your life...forget it. The "savings" ain't worth it.

You throw enough money on the fire shooting trap. If you reload, you're just throwing your time along with it.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Using current prices and figuring .5 cents per hull, per reload, it costs me $3.40 per box of 7/8oz loads, $3.60 for 1oz, and $3.80 for 1 1/8oz. Heavy handicap loads cost $4.00 per box. My reloads are demonstrably better than Rios, UMCs or Estates in consistency, velocity, patterning and shot size.

I reload because I like to. Plus, I get to experiment.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My biggest savings are when I reload "Back-up" shells for annies and picks(protections). I can reload back-up shells for about half of what it would cost to buy in the store. Besides it is hard to find a fast (1350fps) 1 1/8oz load at the store.

ec90t

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

For us guys that make our own shot, The cost is a lot less than new shells. Plus as ZZT said, Lots of opportunity to experiment.

Jim

14. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

i think the way in which it is a lot cheaper is when you start loading 28guage and .410 because you are useing less lead the componentls cost ruffly the same and in the store the shells cost a bunch more tyhen standard 12guage

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Saving money by reloading is a lot like going shopping because there is a big sale. If your objective is to save money then don't go shopping. But we like to shoot a lot so the idea of saving money is not really what we are about. Rolling your own is still very cost effective with the 28 gauge and .410 and I believe that a good ammo crafter can make shells that rival the quality of the very best factory loads available. There is also a great sense of satisfaction that comes with making your own shells and then proving them in competition.

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Yes without time figured in I'm making 20 gauge shells at $1.71 a box . This figuring new powder prices , new wad and primer prices but with making my own shot darn near doubles if you purchase shot.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

To answer your question directly...Yes, there is a considerable amount of savings reloading your own shells, depending on the components you use. I just went to the reloading calculator on the home page and calculated that my 3dr. 11/8oz. handicap loads cost me $3.03 per box to load. With the cheapest shells I can find locally ($43.00 per flat), that saves me $1.28 per box, or $12.80 per flat. My loads are 18gr. Promo powder @ 70.80 per 8lb keg, Fiocchi primers at $90.00/5000, Windjammer wads at $60.00/5000, and shot at $24.00, (we just bought a ton at the PITA Grand). I don't figure in the cost for the hulls, as I get them for free, and my Mec 9000H paid for itself over 10 years ago. My 1oz. singles and doubles reloads are even cheaper than that. Not only do I enjoy a considerable savings, I reap all the benefits of those described in the posts above. Don't let anyone tell you different; it is STILL more economical to reload your own if you shop carefully for components...Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If I take out the labor component and hulls are typically acquired for free - I find that reloading light loads is less expensive in either lead or steel.

My .75oz 12 gauge (1.125oz lead equivalent) steel load is running $2.62/box using the calculator. My 20 gauge and .410 run as low as $1.75.

In the Chicago area, you'd be amazed at how much lead you can find at garage sales on the cheap (don't laugh, sometimes at $5/bag or less!) I recently helped out a guy who got out of shooting and acquired 7 bags of his #8s for zip ($0) so my lead reloading isn't hurting a bit - you want to shoot - be a bit inventive.

I know one guy who garage-sales and sells scrap metal (Aluminum, copper, brass, etc...) to pay for his shooting in general...

Best part of reloading is making a shell for the shooting I like to do.

Jay Spitz

19. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If you buy all your components ar Gander Mountain, there are no savings, but if you shop around there will be a small savings compared to the cheapest factory loads. I reload for about 3.50 a box, so I save about .60 compared to something like RIO shells, but the quality of my shells is more comparable to STS's or AA's which are about 6.00 a box, so if you look at it that way, I saved 2.50.

20. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

NO, none at all. The quality of handloads is inferior at best, and the time spent reloading can better be spent watching American Idol while sitting on your dingus.

But, humanitarian that I am...I'll gladly buy everyone's shot supply for $25 a bag (all you have), and I'll make bids on wads and powder (in quantity). I'm also paying up to $75 for each and every working PW800 loader folks care to sell.

We had this temporary dislocation in the market two years back....it was the end of reloading. Then the component prices hit the shell companies, and prices jumped at least 75 cents a box. Wait until Estate starts buying $50 shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.