1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any Longshot reload legal for ATA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

We have a local trap League and this year one guy is winning everything where he did'nt in the past. He said he was using Longshot. My question is the rest of us shoot factory target loads so does he have an unfair advantage? when his gun goes off it sounds like a cannon. I went on the reloading website and all the Longshot loads I found where alot faster and stronger than a regular Trapload.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Does your league mandate that only ATA legal shells may be used? If not, doesn't make a lick of difference, he can use whatever he can handle...

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I agree with you, this should have been addressed before the league started but was'nt. There is trophies given to the winners I just hate to see him standing up there bragging when everybody at the club could have been shooting magnum 5's but were not. I guess I should just let it go

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Legal Longshot load for ATA? Yes.

I like 15 grains of Longshot, 3/4 oz of 7.5, AA hull, Win 209 primer, and CB5034 wad. This load runs about 1250 fps.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What your friend is doing is shooting a faster shell and this in reality is like shooting a gun w/higher POI, if he had a gun or set up his gun to shoot higher he would be breaking more targets w/lighter loads.

With Longshot it is a slower burning powder than BlueDot, this powder works well when the pressures are 8,000 psi or higher, the slowest load I have in my manuals is 1420fps 1 1/8th oz.

This load is softer on the shoulder than a new AA Super Hdcp shell, and is a very good load for the games, annie's, miss and outs, blue chips Etc.

35 grains w/ 1 1/8th oz of 7s,6s,5s,4s is a hell of a shell at 1585fps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

A lot of folks think that Longshot is loud, anyhow, but unless you are a pretty experienced, sophisticated, experimental reloader, it's pretty hard to get anything resembling ATA-legal loads. 12ga loads, that is: LS is a great 20/28ga powder.

Next year, you need to have some 1-1/8oz of 7½, max, rules in place.

If your league is throwing regulation height/speed/distance White Fliers, I can't see what advantage 1¼(+)oz of #6, or 1500fps confers on him, however.

Bob

7. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

87AA: Your load that you provided sounds exactly like the load that I use in my 28 guage rounds. Does it generate enough pressure in the 12 guage hull?

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

macdaddy ... He's yanking your leg ... this IS his 28ga load (and a lot of other folks', too)

Bob

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Yes! When you cheat,don't tell everyone! CED

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have found that most (not all) clubs have restrictions posted as to what types of ammunition can be used for several reasons ... If the club you are shooting as does not they might want to think about it before someone gets hurt playing with overloaded ammo and #6 shot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You can download Longshot and get it into the specifications set forth by the ATA. I have done it with a 1 1/8oz load. You are right on the criticle edge of developing enough pressure for a consistant burn. I'd only use the shell in warm weather.

The shell will dirty the barrel in a hurry as the burn rate isn't sufficient enough for a complete burn.

If I recall my notes properly, I was using a Remington hull, Remington RXP wad (I needed the weight), 27.2 grains of Longshot, Federal primer, and 1 1/8 oz of shot. The shells crono'd at 1270 fps with a standard deviation of +/- 15fps. They were right on the ragged edge of being legal (1290fps is the fastest speed a 1 1/8oz (+3%) shell can travel and be ATA legal).

Loaded these on a single stage loader for consistancy, but they really weren't worth the trouble. I can shoot just as poorly with any other shell.

ss

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just an FYI, there have been some VERY strong warnings against experimenting with reduced loads with Longshot. I would strongly suggest talking with someone at the powder manufacturer that is "in the know".

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

To answer is NO to your second question:

"My question is the rest of us shoot factory target loads so does he have an unfair advantage?"

No powder can give you an advantage. But the size and weight of shot most certainly can.

All you know is the powder, right? Do you know he is shooting 5's? And what the weight of shot is??

Wayne

14. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

He told me it was 1 1/4 oz. He is very protective of his shells and won't let anyone hold them, All I have seen is they have an x mark on the back. I guess it's useless anyway I spent 1 hour yesterday talking to the club president and even though he admitted the guys shell were very hot as others have complained, It's a small town and they are not willing to confront what is supposed to be a very upstanding man in the community. I ask at some point is it not a safety concern? If his gun blows up on the line and someone gets hurt? But they are going to do nothing so it's either congradulate him when he gets the trophy or quit the league which is probably what I will do since they know this and are afraid to say anything.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sounds like you could start using some decent Pheasant loads and see how it goes. I don't know that such loads would be an advantage, unless it was for some of the long range games. At the usual trap yardages, he would be dealing with more recoil and the extra shot just adds to that. If you can't hit them with 1 oz, an extra quarter ounce won't help much. On the other hand, if you put the shot on the target, all it takes is a few pellets to do the job. Adding more pellets when you are on the money won't help anyone except the guy that sells you shot.

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

If like most of you guys are saying is true 1 1/4 oz of #6 at 1500 fps is no advantage then why does the ATA have limits of 1 1/8 7 1/2-8-9 shot and speed limits?

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

targetmaster, 1500fps 1¼oz loads confer NO advantage at benchrest trap; the long-distance games ... possibly.

for the other, more important side of your question, trap is a gentleman's game, with minimal rules, but a pretty clearly accepted 'spirit' of the rules.

yeah, there will always be a sharpie who finds a crack and drives a camel in the crack, but folks don't think much of them. they'll always have an * by their accomplishments. think mark mcguire and 66 home chemically-aided runs.

as far as the load, there has always been max loads: it used to be 1¼oz, now it's 1-1/8, and 7½ are for practical reasons: larger shot carries farther, causing eventual clean-up problems. speed is governed by tradition, but there's no good reason for it.

finish the year, congratulate him quickly and quietly and talk with the president abt having a rule change for next league. most places don't need it - apparently y'all do.

mr wonderful has y'all intimidated by his majiic bullets ... nonsense: out shoot him a couple of rounds and make him go to 1-3/8oz. silly man.

Bob

18. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

I try to stay away from long shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.