1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a safe way to make shotgun blanks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JB Logan Co. Ohio, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The title of the thread is my question. Is it safe? We used to do it with the old cardboard wads (no shot) but haven't heard of a way to do it with today's componets. A load of confetti instead of shot? Just wondering.....

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We had a jokster at one club who was always shooting a confetti load so I know it can be done. I am not sure of how?

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I always saw them oversize and let them sit for a year then i move them to the eves of an attic or barn for 2-4 more years by that time their usually dry enought for turning in to a stock.

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Oops, maybe I should have stated that better. How about non-shot (harmless) payload that goes boom. Saftey first, muzzle in safe direction, etc. You know a noisemaker in a shotgun shell.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

PS. Gunfitter, if I had even the slightest ability for that type of endeavor that method sounds as good as any I've heard. -JB-

5. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

I can't tell you how I do it, but lot's of my reloads are blanks judging by how many targets I miss.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dog trainers use them all the time. Call them popper loads. They may be available commercially.

HM

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

heck a primer is pretty load, just stick a empty shell with a live primer point it down range and see what happens. Are you trying to fool some one?

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Black powder and a hunk of toilet paper to fill the shell. Works great.

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Kids are having a hay ride tonight. Someone who was going to be a bloody hunter can't make it tonight and asked me to fill in. Initial thought was not to do blanks but I thought I'd throw it out to the crowd. Second thought isn't much better than the first. One is that I haven't had time to try anything out at the range and the whole safety issue. I'll just use a chainsaw minus the chain and a bloody axe. Should be scary enough. If I still had my black powder pistol I'd just load it and stuff some TP as a wad and light 'er off but that was many years ago. Maybe next year with some better (more) planning.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Shadow- you took the thought right out of my noggin'! Thanks.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

get the confetti pull bang things, found at most joke/gag shop.

12. noduck

noduck TS Member

I HAVE A BOX OF 12 GAUGE winchester FACTORY BLANKS. (23) SHELLS. $ 20.00 AND ILL PAY SHIPPING. DROP xs

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I have used with good results G/M hull 18 grains of Solo 1000 12S3wad and enough baby powder to fill. A small amount of candle wax may be necessary to seal.

PS: Stand upwind when shooting.

Rock

Jim

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

We used to make some using PB powder and card wads. I would suppose you could make a "blank" using a standard one piece wad and some lightweight filler. Popcorn (popped), confetti, cereal, corn meal, etc, may make a decent filler to enable you to obtain a crimp. Just don't shoot these towards anything you don't wish to damage. They could be lethal at close range.

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

It is not good to use a plastic shot wad they travel too far. Take 2 over powder wads and 25gr blue dot, fill with flake oats compressed. If you want colors put in some oats and a drop of food color a few more oats and a drop of another color,etc. 3 in shells work better and will fire in a 2 3/4 chamber. Always check barrel between shots. I would say any powder will work but blue dot is a slow burn mag and gives a BIG muzzle flash. rick

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Years ago, for new year's eve, I used to load a Federal Paper hull with 20 grains of Red Dot, an over powder card wad and 3 or 4 felt spacer wards (enough to fill the hull) and crimp. It was loud enough to wake the dead.

Ed Ward

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Another thought regarding noisemakers, didn't somebody make a "bird bomb" 12 gauge load that fired an M-80 firecracker about 100 yards before it exploded?

Ed Ward

18. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Yup: have a pair right here in front of me. Called BYE BYE BIRDIE!! Comes 3 to a card. The back of the card reads: "Blasts an M-80 type projectile between 50 & 100 yards. When detonation you will see a BRILLIANT white light with a THUNDEROUS REPORT!" ATLAS AMMO, 603 Norris Hwy., Central, S.C., 29630. (864) 639-5454. I bought them and am sort of afraid to shoot them in MY gun. Called Atlas and they said DO NOT shoot them from a gun with a full choke. They said the 34" barrel was OK tho.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Want loud?

Resize and prime an empty hull, then fill with 2F to a 1/2 inch from full, then crimp like you would an ordinaty shell.

Mark it "BLANK" with a Sharpie pen so that you don't accidentally get it mixed in with your trap loads!

louder than an M-80 and has about a 3 foot flame out the muzzle!

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

We used to have those report shells in high school. I believe they were called "twin shots". Indeed shot an M-80 like projectile out a hundred yds. or so with a bang when the "report" went off. Used to scare birds out of fields etc. Haven't seen them around for quite awhile.

Last night was a hoot. No live rounds or blanks. I didn't know exactly who was at the party that would freak out about firing guns around the kids. I got more than a few looks coming out of the woods with my Chinese AK (MAK-90). I don't think the crowd shoots many guns but the kids had a good time. I don't think we scared many of them. If we would have broke them into smaller groups we probably would have done a better job, they had courage in numbers (7th graders). A good Friday night's activities.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.