1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a rule for time in between shots?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Was at a shoot this weekend where a young girl took an extremely long time in between her shots. Don't get me wrong, I really like seeing the young kids shooting at the events and don't mind if one is taking their time to concentrate to try to do their best, but this girl was ridiculous. When it was this young girl's turn to shoot, she would leave her gun resting on the ground and stare at the trap house for 45 to 60 seconds(some times even longer)before she would even mount her gun. If she didn't like the way her gun mounted she would set it back on the ground and stare at the trap house again for (I kid you not!!) another 45 to 60 seconds. Her whole squad quit in the first event and refused to shoot with her. In the 2nd event she shot all by her self and it took her over 2 and a half hours to shoot 100 targets. Squads behind her had to wait until finally they got moved to different fields. If there isn't a rule for time in between shots there ought to be. Can you imagine standing on the post next to her waiting for your shot!! Sorry had to vent - Huntinandhotrods

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Nope, no specific rule against that. Just "disturbing the harmony of the shoot."

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Some people are faster than others, but sounds like someone needed to politely explain to her that she needed to pick the pace up. A.K.A., when the shooter before you is done, you mount and fire.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

How many out shot her?

She may be doing that on purpose just so she can shoot alone. I'm good with that.

ss

5. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

V10's right - you hate to get a good rhythm going going and then have it spoiled. The only thing worse is when one of my shells would flip in my 1100 and make me the one that upsets the rhythm.

spell rhythm correctly??

Eric

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I believe that there is a 'time limit' rule for Bunker Trap.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yes... there is a 12 second rule in Bunker trap. The competitor must call for a target within 12 seconds from the time the previous target is scored. As explained here the girl would be cautioned then start losing targets till she conformed with the rule.

TB

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Except she wasn't shooting Bunker Trap, so that rule doesn't apply.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ATA trap should have a time limit also! Whoever encouraged that young lady to do that needs their azz kicked, they certainly didn't do her any favors at all!

Hap

10. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Should she learn Rules of etiquette
    Pierre

11. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

I believe if you are disrupting the harmony of the shoot they can give out penalization? Don't have my rulebook handy but I remember reading that somewhere. A kid (back when I was a JR) used to do that in shootoffs, he would take a long time in between shots to disrupt the other shooters he beat me 2 or 3 times dong it because I got aggravated.

12. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I agree with Hap - The girl was probaly just doing as she was told by her dad and/or coach. He is the one that needs his a#@ kicked. The girl actually shot very well. Hell she probably beat me. All in all it was the most disrespectful thing I have ever seen at an ATA shoot. No matter where you were standing up and down the line of trap fields everyone was talking about how ridiculous it was. My little guy will be starting to shoot here pretty quick and I can only hope I can teach him to be a little more respectfull to his fellow shooters. - Huntinandhotrods

13. 682psf

682psf TS Member

now wait a second. dont quote me on this but i thought i read a rule in this years rule book that said u only have 10 seconds.

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

So, did anyone talk to her about it?

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

OK, 626psf, we won't quote you on it, but there is no "ten second" rule.

16. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I'll just stick my neck out here.... But if she's following the rules, and we all agree she is, then get over it or shoot on another squad. I'm tired of all the "old guys" (I may be old enough to be included ha) telling other shooters how to do things according to all our "unwritten rules". Just shoot and be happy. Damn is that so hard nowadays.
    Jimmy

17. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I'm not sure if any body talked to her or not. There was a bunch of diffent people that complained to the shoot staff and if they said anything to her or not I'm not really sure. The shoot staff did switch the remaining squads to different fields so they didn't have to wait once they complained.

18. jameslsnyder

jameslsnyder TS Member

This is no rule for sure about time. I have been a SCTP & AIM coach for many years and see many troubling things that happen. I blame it on the coaches. We go out and try to teach these young people the basics and principles of the sport but many time don't teach them a thing about the rules. I always here from other coaches when confronted about rule infactions that well they are only kids and just learning, but I say isn't that the best time to teach them the rules is when they are learning. Why let them think the things they do against the rules is acceptable. Now don't get me wrong. I am glad all the kids are out there taking part in the sport and I encourage any chance I get. With all that said, I also say the same thing to us old farts who think they are permitted to let any 2 targets go that they don't like or stand in front or on the yardage line or not down the center of the trap line. Oh for for gosh sakes lets not teach them how to keep their average cards up. It is much easier to just let them guess at their averages.

19. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Jimmy - First of all I'm thankful I wasn't on her squad, but my squad as well as others was held up by her. You might be saying that now, but I pretty sure if you were squaded with her and had to wait a full minute and sometimes 2 full minutes to shoot your next target, you might think a little different. A full minute may not sound like a long time, but if you are standing there watching and waiting for that whole minute, you would be pretty hot! We actually timed her and several times she stared at the trap house for over a minute. Huntinandhotrods

20. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Two and a half hours to shoot a 100 targets are you serious, if that is true it should have not been allowed.

Trap-4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the rule for disrupting the harmony of the squad in trap shooting