1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a "one gun for everything"?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gambit, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit

Gambit TS Member

I currently shoot trap with BT-99 and would like to start shooting Sporting Clays and 5 Stand.

I need some advice from the experienced guys out there... is there a gun that you can successfully shoot all three games? I was considering getting a XT Trap, but am concerned about the high rib for sporting clays. Is anyone having success with this? It would be nice to shoot one gun.

Or, am I better off getting a sporting clays specific gun like a 525 or 625?

I appreciate your thoughts.

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Sure- any good quality O/U with 32" barrels will work fine. Even an auto would work if you're into autos- 30" barrel on this one.

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Speacial Edition Sporting Browning @ Guns Unlimited. Put an Adj. comb and Start Shooting.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joe90t

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I was forced last year too use, for a time, a Beretta 390 for everything. Not bad really. I can recommend it. Bill

5. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

I just shot sporting clays and skeet for the first time, I had only shot trap before with my XT trap. My XT has 32" barrels and adjustable comb, it worked fine for both those sports. For sporting I just used the mod and improved mod chokes that came with it. I was worried about it shooting high but it was not a problem at all, hope this helps.

6. Gambit

Gambit TS Member

joe90t,

How is the Special Edition Sporting Clays gun different from the 525 Sporting? Similar gun without the silver engraved receiver?

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

APrice,

I like the way you think. Could you talk to my wife for me? 8)

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

Gambit the term successfully is taken in everyone;s opinion, should you choose to shoot mediocre scores in each and term that a success,- fine, should you want to compete and be a serious threat in all phases, no. The world of serious clay target shooting has long been past, The shooters shooting 95 and 97"s at handicap are gone, 100, 99 are the rule, sporting clays, in the past, 80's good, now, you are toast! I would strongly advise that if you are a recreational shooter,,enjoy! to be a serious threat in the clay target world requires now special equipment, and the willing drive to really compete! incinerate em!

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

APrice,

Actually I'm quite fortunate that my wife never really asks nor cares. She seldom ever asks about my purchases and only comments about my shooting/hunting hoarding addiction when it spills over into the other living spaces. I married this girl way back for a reason. I just hope she keeps me. LOL

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Is there a

Yes. A 60's vintage Browning Broadway trap with 32" bbls shoots everything AND looks good doing it!

11. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Is there a

I was faced with this same dilemma and settled on a Beretta 391 Teknys Sporting. I sold all the trap guns with the exception of the Superposed Broadway. My scores in trap remained the same after getting use to the flatter shooting gun. The main drawback in trap is it will take a long time to revert back to a high shooting gun after switching. I would pick up a sporting gun and try it out for a few months before selling your trap gun.

12. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Is there a

Gambit, The special Edition Sporting has a blue receiver and if the New one's Guns unlimited have are like My S.E.trap it will NOT have a palm Swell.I have short fingers and most palm swells are NOT comfortable to me. The S.E.Sporting that G.U. have are listed as a "High Post" rib and in "my opinion" would work great for all shooting. If a Adj. comb was installed it would be very versatile. Hey Matt, am i doing better not useing all CAPS!!!!!!! joe90t

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Is there a

Personally I would shoot a 32" MX8 or MX2000 Perazzi if I was forced to use just one gun for everything. I would get it with factory choke tubes so it could be used for skeet as well as trap and sporting. Beretta S05 of similar dimensions would be right there too, but a bit more expensive. K80 would be there too. I like Over-Unders:) The reason these guns are at the top of the list is that they have triggers that are MUCH better than anything else in the class.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Is there a

Lots of guns play them all well...just because I was lazy, but also totally confident with it...I was using my 30" Citori Plus for everything and was pretty successful

15. lc

lc TS Member

Is there a

Why would anyone want to own just one shotgun, Have more fun with more.

16. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Is there a

IF I had to own just one, it would be my CG Impact.

17. dls guide

dls guide Member

Is there a

I chose a Blaser super trap for my do everything gun. So far I really like it and my scores are good most of the time and not the guns fault when they aren't.

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Is there a

Beware the one gun man...He probably knows how to shoot it. (That's not me.)

Big Jack

19. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Is there a

Gambit, seitz10 has a Special edition Sporting on Ts.com for 1500.00 joe90t

20. copey

copey Member

Is there a

Perazzi w thirties and nine chokes....works for me...sleet trap five stand and sporting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

one handgun for everything

one shotgun for everything