1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a HMR tube feed offered?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeye45, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Does any of the gun manufacturers make a 17 HMR bold action that has a tube feed vs. a Clip? Thanks in advance.
    deadeye45

2. 548

548 Guest

Henry Repeating Arms

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He said Bolt action! But I have this rifle in the frontier lever and love it

4. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

http://www.frontierarmscompany.com/catalog.php?category=2
    Cubancigar,
    When i go there, i find 'Rossi's', marlin and so on. can't seem to turn up a 'Frontier' lever.??

5. cubancigar2000

It is a Henry Frontier

6. 548

548 Guest

Deadeye45, please accept my apologies. I made an assumption that by stating "bolt action" you would be satisfied with a non-auto loading rifle. And so I ignorantly recommended one of my favorites; a lever action Henry. I am so glad that cubancigar2000 has concurred with my recommendation. In addition, I would like to thank cubancigar2000 for pointing out the error of my ways.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Cuban....do you have a scope on it or just use the iron sights....Thats my next gun purchase,,still debating o .22 or .17. both fun but the .17 is sooooo accurate and flat out to 125 yrds.

8. cubancigar2000

Yes I have a scope on it. I like the Millets

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Interestingly, Marlin still makes tube magazine fed bolt action rifles in .22 LR and .22 WMRF, including varmint versions. But all .17 HMR bolt actions are "clip" magazine fed. I suspect Marlin wants to wring as much accuracy as possible from the .17 HMR.

The only tube fed .17 HMRs that I'm aware of are lever actions, like the aforementioned Henry. I have a Winchester 9417 lever gun.

I suppose if one were desperate enough and money were no object, one could purchase a Marlin .17 HMR and a tube fed .22 WMRF and swap the barrels. Then sell the .22 WMRF.

10. Brian in Oregon

Regarding the Henry lever gun....

The link that cubancigar2000 posted http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-octagon.cfm shows the classic old west style lever gun.

Henry also make a "Varnmint Express" version of this gun: http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-varmint-express.cfm.

Aside from the barrel (octagon vs round), the main difference is the design of the buttstocks. The stock on the Frontier model has a lot of drop, and works best with iron sights. Using a scope with a stock like this means poor cheek weld. That's why the raised comb on the Varmint Express model, as it is intended primarily for use with a scope.

Believe me, it does make a difference. I had a 4-12x 40mm AO on my Winchester 9417 lever gun. Almost no cheekweld at all. Bought a Leupold 2-7x 33mm AO from a ts.com'er, and was able to lower the scope quite a bit. Unfortunately, super short rings are not made for rimfire dovetails, so while I have a cheekweld now, it's still poor. Been looking for a custom stock maker to make a stock with less drop to it, but, alas, no one seems capable anymore. My only option at this point is to get super tall rings and machine them as short as possible.

11. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Might look goofy, but an adjustable comb might be easier and cheaper than a custom stock.

12. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

I have an ajustable comb on my 22-250 Ackley that is just like my shotgun stock. It works so well for getting lined up behind the scope that I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. To clean the gun just take the comb off because the cleaning rod won't clear otherwise. The scope is a 30mm Leupold 6.5 x 20 with 50MM objective so the stock comb really has to go up.

Jeff

13. Brian in Oregon

[​IMG]

That's what I did for my son's Savage .17 HMR stock. Works great now, perfect cheekweld and eye alignment. But it would be out of place on a traditional lever gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17 hmr tube fed

a tube fed 17
bolt action tube fed 17 hmr
marlin 17 tube feed rifles

tube fed 17 hmr

tube fed 17 hmr rifle
tube feed 17 hmr rifle
tube ferd 17 hmr