1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a cure for flinching ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Straight99, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Is there a cure for flinching without going to a releace trigger? I am to the point that about 3 out of 25 times I can not pull the trigger. My first round goes fine and then it starts. Is the release the only way out?

2. Simone

Simone TS Member

You have to try to figure out what type of flinching you have. If it’s a visual flinch because you shoot too fast or move the gun before you see the target then you have to work on seeing the target properly. If you have a flinch because you are getting beat up in the face (sometimes you don’t even realize it) then try different pitches on your gun. You could tell almost immediately which pitch is the best just by shooting the gun with different pitch configurations the same day. Sometimes people tend to flinch if they are not “prepared” to see the target when they call for it.

You have to keep notes on changes you made to your gun. If you start flinching after you adjusted the gun e.g. moving comb left or right then you have to go back to where you were before. Try softer loads also.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you can, figure out why you are flinching. Then you can work on ;the cure. If you cant make it stop then the release is the answer. Btw, some people just cant adjust to a release, so check your possible problems first. Three times per 25 is too many. Make sure you are seeing the target,, and get rid of as much recoil as you can. good luck with it.

Bob

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Thank You. I will try those things tonight.

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I been flinching 2 times per round. Been doing this for 3 years w/ two different guns. Recoil reducers etc. no luck. Tried slowing down and other problems started. Trying to break it. No success. Stress adds to it. Flinching this year cost me high gun at a local tournament. Lost by two birds. If you ask what I think my problem is, I would answer lack of concentration. Hoping with the release I'll pay attention more. Don't know until I try. I'm on a waiting list at Allem's Guncraft for their roller release which can be converted back to a pull if need be. Dave T.

6. warren

warren Member

I would suggest attending one of those shooting clinics. I was flinching and my scores were dropping over a long period of time and I didn't have any idea what was causing it. I attended a Kiner clinic and it took him about five minutes to see that I was crossfiring and my flich was caused by subconsiously trying to recover right eye control at the last split second. I still have it some what but my scores are improving and I actually got punched, 90% of the problem solving is knowing what it is.

warren

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

This is my 41st year of trapshooting. On my 38th year, I developed a horrible flinch. It started when I switched stocks on my trap gun. I started out flinching one to two times per round of 25 targets. It got worse, that I was flinching four to six times per round.

I purchased a release trigger and it cured my flinching, but I did not like the concept of releasing a trigger compared to all these years of pulling a trigger. So I put my pull trigger back into my gun and had a friend of my stand next to me as I was shooting by myself on a practice round.

I have very small hands for a man, and my friend noticed that I could hardly reach the trigger with my shooting finger. He said all I was pulling the trigger with was with the tip of my shooting finger. My friend said although I placed my finger correctly on the trigger prior to calling for the target, eventually my finger was slipping off the trigger and sliding to the side of the trigger. When I would actually call pull and attempt to pull the trigger, the trigger would not allow me to pull it back, instead i was pulling on it's side, causing the dreaded flinch.

Our solution was two fold. I took off wood from the top of the trigger which got me closer to the trigger, plus I got Velcro and customized my pistol grip so it felt comfortable to me. I was able to get 1 1/16 of an inch closer to the trigger. Since I did this, I have now shot roughly 5,000 targets without one single flinch.

So in response to your original question, yes, in my case there was a cure for flinching. In my opinion, a release trigger has been a great invention as it allows numerous shooters with a flinch to stay in our sport, rather than they giving up and quit. I believe, it is easier to release a trigger than actually pull one. In my case, I did not give the release a long enough time to get use to it, even though it's use was successful for me.

I believe, trial and error and patience is needed in attempting to possibly cure a flinch. It is easier said than done, especially when it is costing a person targets. One bit of advice to shooters, if you switch stocks, keep the old one until you definitely know that the new stock will work for you, as I sold my old stock and could not get it back.
    Steve Balistreri

8. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

My experience---
    During a practice round before a major sporting clays tournament at Cherokee Rose, I froze and couldn't pull the trigger. Walked completely off the pad.
    Marty Fischer was following the squad observing 2 people who he had just taught an instructors school. He stepped up to me and said This time before you call for the target, grip the stock as hard as you can, grit your teeth, and scream for the target. I did this and I have never flinched again. This was several years ago.Thanks, Marty

9. RonC

RonC TS Member

My understanding is that a visual flinch is a lurch; a true flinch is when you can't pull the trigger. If you have access to some old Shotgun Sports mags, look up Michael Keys article "Yips" September 2005. Golfers also flinch apparently and the cause is probably the same as that that gives us shotgunners grief.

Good luck

Ron

10. Simone

Simone TS Member

I did find that when I am flinching and I “scream” for the target I don’t flinch. However, my scream does set off the other trap so that is not a workable solution for me. Funny that I thought “screaming” for the target was one of my secret for curing flinching. I wonder why it helps…maybe you concentrate more.

11. Straight99

Straight99 Member

It sounds like all of you might be right. This all started about a month ago. A shooting coach told me to look for the bird higher above the trap house. I started to see the bird without the flash and started to shoot faster. I saw the bird better and my score went up until the flinch started. I shot 50 and even 100 straight a few times. Now that I see the bird better, maybe I have to shoot slower? I will try tonight. Thank You

12. Simone

Simone TS Member

Straight99,

You said your problem starts on the second round, which could indicate cheek slap because the pain tends to build up.

13. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have had this gun for 7 years and never had the problem, but I will watch for that also. Thank You

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sounds like a possibel gun hold point/with a eye hold point problem. One or both may be changing as you continue to shoot. Good Luck and Break-em all Jeff

15. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Try dry firing a round. An old timer told me to try it and it helped me realize I was taking my eye off the bird @ the last second.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yep try all the majic cures and when you are done get a release and enjoy shooting again.

Don

17. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Flinching is not caused by a trigger....bench rest shooters with 1/2 oz triggers will flinch. Changing the direction that the sear works ain't gonna cure the problem.

The only reason that trap tolerates release triggers is it's good bait.

You will never cure a flinch by listening to trap shooters......they cannot even agree on what it is.

Most trap shooter flinching is caused by others giving you advice.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Amazingly we have a few individuals on here who profess to understand the human brain and it's response to pulling or letting go triggers. While they're at it they might explain why golfers get the yips, surgeons can no longer operate or ball players are unable to make accurate throws-no noise or recoil issues there. We've already had several studies by far more educated researchers without a conclusive cause or cure.

Yes, there are some individuals who cannot deal with releasing a trigger successfully. Those are usually weeded out immediately after initial attempts. My understanding is they soon become excellent fisherman. I've yet to hear of anyone being unable to shoot release after many successful years. Setting the release in older shooters can be a problem but is usually resolvable.

The human brain is easily crippled by anxiety issues in certain individuals. We all know that most of us can pull or release a trigger at will without a live round in the chamber. The simple act of putting a loaded shell in the gun and calling for a target while standing on the trapline creates havoc in some shooters' brains. Bottom line-it's anxiety or fear of a result and can often be minimized by visits to a qualified hypnotherapist!!

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sorry unknown 1, your analysis of anxiety issues is flawed. If recoil or noise is that big an issue in flinching then Skeet shooters should flinch more with the 12 GA than the .410 but the opposite is usually true. Heck, I'll even flinch with a BB gun sometimes. No noise in the operating room or the golf course either. I'll bet there's some pretty blind guys out there on the trap line that can successfully release the trigger too-just not pull it!!

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

No shooter can use a gadget to cure a flinch, than can a surgeon or a golfer. Besides everyone needs a racket or an angle....be it molded ear plugs or release triggers.

A large portion of Americans live off of solutions to problems that don't exist. If there were no more releases made, there would be those who could fix your flinch.......the majority of the shooters in the world do not allow releases on their ranges......and those shooters do just fine.

I'd bet that the majority of releases triggers in trap are just an excuse to not practice. Instant gratification.

Just use Valium.....that way you won't embarrass your self by shooting the trap house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cures for the flinches trapshooting
curing flinch when trap shooting
curing flinching when shooting skeet
how to stop flinching when shooting a shotgun

trap shooting flinching

trapshooting flinch after many years