1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is there a cleaner powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lovethesport, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

the wads issue has beeen sorted out but the there is a lot residue in the barrel and also the color of the metal starting growing bronzish around the chamber area---it has all cleaned up but what could be the reason---

loading: cheddite hulls 16.7gr clays 1oz load cb6100 wads and win 209 primers

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Grafs, Precision Reloading and BPI (under some cutesy name) have it.

The Federal 12C0 wad (CB 2100 or DRF0 are its clones) are the are closer, ballistically, to the 'stickiness' of the Gulandi, and there should be data for the 12C0 from Hodgdon.

Bob

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Ballistically similar is a better term.

Some wads seal better than others, more efficient in other words, or 'stickier'.

The Gulandi G series is a particularly efficient wad, and Federals are close.

You'll be happy with the Federal clones. Guaranteed.

Bob

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Red Dot. HMB

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Where did your formula come from?

Hodgdon lists only Cheddite and Fio 616 primers and a GU 1225 wad for the Cheddite hull, Clays powder and a 1 oz. load. The lightest powder charge for Cheddite primers is 18.1 @ 7200 PSI and for Fiocchis it's 17.9 @ 8000 PSI.

If you're using only 16.7 grains of powder, a Winchester primer and someone else's wad you may not be generating enough chamber pressure to burn all the powder.

MK

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What MK said ... that is a pooky load, esp for a straight-wall hull.

You either need a faster powder, or more of your Clays.

7. warren

warren Member

Try Alliance e3, I've used it and it is very clean burning.

warren

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

can you see daylight when you look down the barrel?

then the gun is clean enough to use.

this obsession with clean burning powder borders on ridiculous. it literally is the least important ballistic characteristic when i evaluate my shotgun rounds. clean burning is a nice bonus but not necessary. complete burning is another thing and necessary.

9. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

solo 1000 is a very clean-burning powder, and so is nitro 100. BYG

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you want weenie light loads, try Winchester WAALite or Alliant's new Extra-Lite. They might burn more completely at a more reasonable pressure in lighter loads. They do for me. I'm just not a stickler for "clean" powders. They ALL leave something behind. Some is more noticable than others. I don't worry about it.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think the QuackShot is right on! Any powder regardless of burn rate will not perform properly unless you keep the pressures toward the upper side. Chamber pressures has nothing at all to do with velocity but when low, it doesn't give you a complete burn. You hafta build the right kind of fire behind any shot charge!

Hap

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PB is it, but it is so bulky you have to do wad upsizing, and the price will give you heart palpitations.

HM

13. ABH

ABH Member

Clays is as clean as it gets. You need more pressure therefore more powder.

ART H.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Chamber pressure has nothing at all to do with velocity??????????

If you have no pressure you have no velocity. If you have very low pressure you have very low velocity. And if you have high pressure you have high velocity.

Seems like there is some kind of relationship there. HMB

15. lostandout

lostandout Member

i love pb it smells great very low recoil and 28 g in a fed hull gets about 1325 with 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2 great back up load and its clean

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There is a floor I have found for powder to burn it's cleanest.. It starts out at about 9000 psi.. and runs to about 10,000 psi.. While I don't really care if it burns the cleanest..it must be consistent in FPS and PSI.. To me.. E3 burns the cleanest.. Blue Dot..about the dirtiest.. Unique and Herco did not win any clean house awards either.. The little bit of Clays and International Clays I've loaded was pretty clean too.. Don't fret the small stuff.. Put the lead on the target.. and watch them break.. You know how to reach me if I can be of anymore help.. All Good.. Mike

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I><blockquote>"If you have no pressure you have no velocity. If you have very low pressure you have very low velocity. And if you have high pressure you have high velocity."</blockquote></I>

Maybe true if you're comparing different charges of the same powder in one specific formula, but it's nowhere near true across the board.

Compare data for 2 loads, one using PB and one using Titewad:<center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </center>

Same hull (STS), same shot load, wad and primer but the fastest PB load makes the same pressure as the slowest Titewad load. Chamber pressure and shot velocity are related, but high speed doesn't necessarily need high pressure and low pressure doesn't always mean slow.

MK

18. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

You say dirty-but is the dirty powder residue or wad plastic residue such as that which gets stuck along the choke tube and inside the barrel?
    Clays is very clean and fast burning, especially 16 grains. I and dozens of shooters in CAS use clays 15 to 16 grains in either 3/4 or 7/8 oz. The problem I find in both sguns I use is plastic residue.
    Red dot is a bit faster, grains of powder are a bit larger a bit dirtier in pistols. Never used in sgun. When u clean barrel push out residue with a dry nylon brush to see what is residue. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.