1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Is the Winchester SuperX Model 1 the Best Semi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by charlevillecat, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

Do you gentleman consider the Winchester SuperX Model 1 the best Semi-Auto,just would like to hear some feedback.
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

3. Tron

Tron Active Member

NO. It's no longer in production, therefor everyone MUST have it.
  4. rocko

rocko Member

Yes. I bought my first SX1 in 1971. It has hundreds of thousands of rounds through it. Other than O rings a few bolt buffers and cleaning (gas system needs to be kept clean) I have done nothing. No springs no firing pins no nothing.
  5. jhjanko

jhjanko TS Member

It is likely that a Super X 1, with all of todays after market upgrades, may well be one of the very best, if not the very best. It should have the stainless magazine tube, a stage 3 trigger group and the modern version of bolt buffer. I would buy an engraved skeet gun with high grade wood and then find a 30 inch barrel with briley thin-wall tubes. Or add the tubes if not already there.

No matter what a given opinion may be, a fully upgraded Super X-1 is a very fine shotgun.
  6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I never shot the Super x very well.. My old love is the Winchester model 50.. but I must say.. the new Remington that shoots 2 3/4 thru 3.5" shells sure felt good at the GRAND.. John took it apart for me.. dead simple.. I think its a winner.. Time will tell.. Neither have the clanking metalic sound of the 390/391 when you shoot it..
  7. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

SX-1 is a marvelous gun. Discontinued because it was too good. It had a machined steel feed ramp, others had pressed steel. Most were posessed with excellent wood, especially target models.

A friend's father in law worked at the plant, and each year they could pick a gun for themselves. He always picked target guns because of their apearance.

Buuuut.....being full gas guns, they clank and shuffle, and it's noticeable to people, and comforting to long time users.

I recentlly acquired a SX-2 sporter, and was amazed at the fact there was no clank and shuffle. It sort of feels like a pump or break gun. The cycle is very unnoticeable compared to any of my 1100's (.410 excepted)

Now, the crux of the matter.

The best auto will have to be defined as the one YOU love. There are way too many idiosyncrasies to be able to define any one gun as "best",

For duck and goose, I would prefer a Beretta Extrema. For appearance, the nice examples of the Teknys I have seen are gorgeous.

For the gun that fits and shoots well for 90 % of adults, the 1100. Somehow they got it right.

And now I know why they build 30 gun safes.

HM
  8. shutupandshoot

shutupandshoot TS Member

I have an extra clean Model 1 that I want to sell if anyone is interested. It is a field grade but I have put a shell catcher on it and exchanged the bold handle to the updated one that is made to clear the shell catcher and also does not come out easily like the old ones do. If interested e-mail me at sjdrouse@msn.com. It is fixed full choke and will smoke um'
  9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Next best thing to a M-12.
  10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

11. philk

philk Member

Eddie got it right, the best there is, was and ever will be. Just such a pain to strip down and clean.
  12. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Super X 1 the best? Far from it. I had a pair of the early skeet guns in the late '70s, the ones with the adjustable pull weight triggers. Couldn't hold a candle to the 1100. The Super Xs 1) had trigger issues (which made Winchester switch to the non-adjustable trigger), 2) the guns ate buffers the way I eat peanuts, 3) the magazine tube eroded while you watched, 4) the ribs were riveted on at the muzzle. The rivet went through to the choke. The rivets would last about 5k and then the ribs would come loose. The guns also had noticeably more recoil than the 1100s. At least with the 1100s, you could carry a few parts and know where you stood.

My SX-1s, did have pretty wood though.
  13. Ahab

Ahab Active Member

All us Old Pharts remember when the SX1 1st came out ... it was advertised as the auto Model 12.
  14. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

SX-1 is a marvelous gun. Discontinued because it was too good. It had a machined steel feed ramp, others had pressed steel. Most were posessed with excellent wood, especially target models.

A friend's father in law worked at the plant, and each year they could pick a gun for themselves. He always picked target guns because of their apearance.

Buuuut.....being full gas guns, they clank and shuffle, and it's noticeable to people, and comforting to long time users.

I recentlly acquired a SX-2 sporter, and was amazed at the fact there was no clank and shuffle. It sort of feels like a pump or break gun. The cycle is very unnoticeable compared to any of my 1100's (.410 excepted)

Now, the crux of the matter.

The best auto will have to be defined as the one YOU love. There are way too many idiosyncrasies to be able to define any one gun as "best",

For duck and goose, I would prefer a Beretta Extrema. For appearance, the nice examples of the Teknys I have seen are gorgeous.

For the gun that fits and shoots well for 90 % of adults, the 1100. Somehow they got it right.

And now I know why they build 30 gun safes.

HM
  15. shutupandshoot

shutupandshoot TS Member

I have an extra clean Model 1 that I want to sell if anyone is interested. It is a field grade but I have put a shell catcher on it and exchanged the bold handle to the updated one that is made to clear the shell catcher and also does not come out easily like the old ones do. If interested e-mail me at sjdrouse@msn.com. It is fixed full choke and will smoke um'
  16. shadow

shadow Active Member

Next best thing to a M-12.
  17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

18. philk

philk Member

Eddie got it right, the best there is, was and ever will be. Just such a pain to strip down and clean.
  19. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Super X 1 the best? Far from it. I had a pair of the early skeet guns in the late '70s, the ones with the adjustable pull weight triggers. Couldn't hold a candle to the 1100. The Super Xs 1) had trigger issues (which made Winchester switch to the non-adjustable trigger), 2) the guns ate buffers the way I eat peanuts, 3) the magazine tube eroded while you watched, 4) the ribs were riveted on at the muzzle. The rivet went through to the choke. The rivets would last about 5k and then the ribs would come loose. The guns also had noticeably more recoil than the 1100s. At least with the 1100s, you could carry a few parts and know where you stood.

My SX-1s, did have pretty wood though.
  20. Ahab

Ahab Active Member

All us Old Pharts remember when the SX1 1st came out ... it was advertised as the auto Model 12.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.