1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the stock on a BT99 adjustable?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently purchased a used BT99 for trap and shoot it fairly well but with the cheek piece adjusted all the way down it still feels high to me. I have some Benelli's and Beretta's that have a kit to adjust the angle of the stock down and wondered if anything like that is available for the Browning. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Jack

Piddie, I know I'm a little overweigh but at 5 ft 10 in. I wouldn't say that 180 pounds is enough to call me fat. The stock on my 1100's feel more comfortable for line of sight on the vent rib. Jackie B.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jackie,

It puzzles me when you write that the stock "feels high to me." Usually, there is not doubt that the comb of the stock is too high. Either the gun shoots high or it will shoot high with the eye looking down on rather than along the rib.

It is the height of the comb, the drop at the comb dimension, that lists the comb's distance below the level of the rib. It determines the height of the eye relative to the rib.

Cast at the comb on the other hand, provides the distance that the comb is offset to the right or left. It is this dimension that compensates for plump cheeks and wide jaws.

Can you clear up my confusion?

Rollin

4. Shooting Jack

Hi Rollin, I have the comb set all the way down and as I look down the rib I am looking down on the rib by a few degrees not looking directly down the rib. I find myself having to press hard to see down the rib. I am going to the stock fitting site and see if there's something I'm not doing or what options I have. Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the rib looks like a ramp and it shoots too high you need a lower comb. There is no provision to change the angle as you mentioned. You can either get a custom made stock or bugger up the one you have.

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

Why not just install an add on rib or have someone like Moneymaker install a new higher one?

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

OR, why not just take it to the pattern board and see where it shoots at. Then don't worry about what the rib looks like, you are not going to be shooting at the rib, you are going to be shooting at the targets. You might need to be shooting a higher shooting gun. If so you will likely be seeing some rib. Chances are, you do not need to change the entire angle of the stock. Which is not even doable without getting a custom stock made. While there are probably some shooters that just HAVE to have a really flat shooting gun, most will not. That is what is wrong with most shooters shooting, especially newer shooters. At least that has been my observations. Good luck, John

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jackie;

As was suggested, have an add-on rib installed. They are available in a height of your choice in either aluminum or delrin, a space-age plastic. They have been offered here in the past by HyDeal but I have not seen his thread recently.

To find the height of the add-on rib you need, you can use balsa strips from a local hobby shop taped to your existing rib with a cut, round-headed pin serving as the front bead.

When you determine how high the rib needs to be with experimentation, a delrin add-on rib of that height can be ordered and installed by you or your barrel can be sent to MoneyMaker.

As an aside, if you check the vertical POI by patterning, do so with little or no extra pressure of your cheek on the comb. Chances are that the pressure you apply to align your eye will not be constant during swings. Much or all of the extra pressure will probably be lost during swings.

Rollin

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

I forgot to mention Keensights add on ribs. These along with Hydeals have been put on a lot of guns.

10. Shooting Jack

Anyone around South Georgia or North Florida where I can pick up a add-on rib. I get through Albany Ga, Dothan Al, Jacksonville Fl and Panama City Fl fairly frequently if there is any place where I can pick one up. Thanks for your responses. Jackie B.

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If you don't want to do all this you could just give me a hell of bi on it and I would be glad to take it off your hands.

12. Shooting Jack

It's a BT99 pigeon grade with the Gracoil kick ruducer and adjustable comb. I paid $1000.00 for it and feel like I can shoot good with it if I can get the bugs worked out. I'm shooting the same with it as I do with the rest of my 12ga guns but hope to get better. As far as selling it I have told someone else I would give them first chance. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.