1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the new mec primer tray an improvement?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is the new Mec primer tray a lot better than the older? I have a Mec reloader I dont use much but it is not that reliable and wondered if an upgrade was worth it?

Gene

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Definitely YES. Much more reliable.

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

much more than a lot better

bill

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Yes

FR

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have had several MEC progressives and the old style primer feed was reliable on all but one of them. That one was hopeless, the primer feed was only one of its many problems and I got rid of it. I recently bought a Grabber that had the new style primer feed and it is really slick and I would agree it is a big improvement over the old one. I haven't changed any of my other ones over to it because they work fine but I was tempted. If you have a primer feed that cannot be made reliable then the new style is probably your answer.

7. guido

guido Member

YES!

8. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have a Grabber with the old tray, works great, and a 9000 with the new tray, works great too. I still keep an eye on the primers just in case...Bill

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Works much better than the old style.

Titewad2.........There is a fix for your problem.

Take some Pledge furniture wax, spray it on wipe it off. I do this twice and it is good to go for another 6 months or so.

I also use a Q-tip and spray that and get as far down into the chute that the primers exit into. Works great. Try it!

Hauxfan!

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hauxfan, I've used Pledge also in the past. The absolute best I've found is called "Liquid Glass" auto polish, lasts and lasts much longer than anything else I've tried. Expensive but works great on paint or primer trays and it's easy on and off. Hap

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hap, what a coincidence. I just happen to have some around that I'll try next time it's needed. Thanks!

Hauxfan!

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

moly works use a q tip to get down in chute on a new tray its a one time thing i have a used one that someone used a screw driver [i guess] on and it has taken several coats -----yes Gene they are rick

13. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I bought a new 9000g with the new primer tray. I couldn't wait to tell my buddies how awesome it was!! I wouldn't even think about using an old style tray. They are that good!! Yes, metal slides better than the plastic but i very, very, rarely have to give it a tap when its almost empty to get them to slide. I load over 250 primers at a clip. You almost forget to check sometimes because it lasts so long. The nice thing is when you load the tray you turn a knob and lay the tray flat so the primers dont flip when they slide down. Just put the cover on and raise it back up. If you reload alot you would be nuts not to have one.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Gene

Next time you make a road trip by Omaha, call or email me. We can look at them side by side. I normally sell 3 new units (8983) to 1 of the old (385) units. IMHO Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.