1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the MEC upgrade worth it ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have four MEC Grabbers - been using them for years. I've looked at the upgrade primer trays - the original equipment do kind of suck. Have to constantly keep an eye on them to make sure they drop a primer EVERY time.

Is the MEC primer tray upgrade a significant improvement worth the bucks ?

Please don't suggest I get a PW or Spolar - not in the budget nor worth it since I load 12 ga. least of all. Yes, it's true - I shoot mostly skeet targets - but will admit I have crossed over to the dark side and shoot some trap from time to time.

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Absolutely! Alot better than the old system...and the 200 capacity is nice too.

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Yes it is. No more chains and springs plus a larger capacity tray. Mine has never missed dropping a primer since installed a year ago. No more messes to clean up either.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

It is better than chain but you have to watch each primer drop---It don't drop in the primer hole everytime,at least not for me---JMO---George@SJB---

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I like the 200 count but..mine doesnt drop one every time..if I ever look off at something else it wont drop one.. I actually think my old chain operated one dropped them better than my new one does..but I have only dropped 4-5 thousand primers with the new one,,,

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Still not perfect, but a bit of an improvement over the chain style. I still prefer the long tube like I have on some of my old 650s, but I change them over to the new ones as I go over the presses and clean and replace wear parts. The new ones sometimes take a little tweaking to get right, but they do work well and are more convenient to load. I use a small amout of graphite on the tray to keep them working well. Some people use furniture polish. Graphite does it for me and goes a very long way.

7. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Try spraying the tray with Hornady One Shot. Works great for me.

8. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

Ive got 5 mec's.(3)9000g's and 2 hydrolics. I just had my wifes swithched over to to the new tray system. Any time you can lay the tray on its neutral position to load it, its very convenient, no mess ups. Ive broke 2 chains in the reloading process and the had to chase down parts. the new tray system has never missed a beat. get er done

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I have 4 9000Gs.

Just went back to the old style tray on the 12 gauge after upgrading long ago when the new trays come out.

Through the years tried three different trays, never could get it right. No problems with the other 3 reloaders. I suspect something off on the 12 gauge reloader.

Anyhow, just installed the old style tray and a perfect drop on the first try.

10. psfive

psfive Member

Absolutely! The new primer tray makes the old chain drive unit like breaking concrete with a toothbrush. Mine never misses a drop. Ever. Thousands and thousands of primers have been dropped in place. Paul in Nebraska.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I love everything about the new style primer feed - except that for some reason, Remington primers don't slide easily on it. I have to constantly bump the bottom of the tray to insure that a primer will slide into the track where the transfer bar can move it over to the drop tube. If I do that, it never fails to drop a primer.

I've not tried coating the tray with graphite (but will) and have polished it with Pledge on several occasions. I actually bought a NIB old style feed in case I can't get the new style feed working.

The odd thing is that it works great with Federal primers. Remingtons must have a more pronounced edge or something that makes them drag on the tray. But I like Remington 209s better and have 8,000 of them on hand, so switching back to 209As isn't a viable option.

Ed

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I like mine much better than the standard tray, but as mentioned above you still need to ensure a primer drops EVERY time. I listen and look.

Just like you must ensure the charge bar travels fully left, then right on every pull.

New to reloading just some 25,000 rounds ago, I learned the hard way.

Remember, no system is completely fool proof.

Guy Babin

13. SCtrapshooter

SCtrapshooter TS Member

Absolutely! I have 4 9000E's and 1 Automate. That the best investment I have made in a long time. The Pledge works for me, but by all means "pay attention" because any mechanical device will occasionally fail you! Tom in SC.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When installing read instructions and tweak it, make sure you have or got the new larger nut that is serated and flanged should be with the new tray.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

Same here,new tray works better for me.

Doug H.

16. wlc

wlc Member

The new one may take a little adjusting to get the primers to drop in the center of the hole. Once adjusted properly, they are great. The tray does require a little attention occasionally. When mine gets sticky, I clean it with a clean cloth and wipe with a little Pledge.

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Don't replace a working part. Why would you?

I keep hearing of the chain breaking on the old primer feeders. If it's adjusted properly, that chain should last you a long time. I have over 20K through my machine and the previous owner put over 100K. My chain is still working, and I've only had one or two bad primer drops in all that time.

18. psfive

psfive Member

When primers do not want to slide in my new primer feed system. I wax the surface with liquid car wax. I will take a q-tip and do the path all the way down to where they fall when pushed to the hole. Then primers slide nice and I never need to bump the bottom of the tray. Paul in Nebraska.

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have two older style 9000's in a 12 & 20 and like Rastoff I have had little to no primer feed problems with mine. Over many years of use and thousands and thousands of shells reloaded, doing a chain replacement, feeder spring replacement is a cheap easy fix. I can't replace something that isn't broken.

20. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Replace the primer tray with the new one. It is better holds more primer and easy to fill. I would like to see a 400 primer try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec primer feed upgrade