1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Franklin Arsenal Micro scale Good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was looking through my catalog at work and saw the Micro Reloading Scale and ordered one to check it out. I haven't done any comparison weights with it yet but it seems to be easy to set up and use. My cost was like $31.00 so if it's any good it won't break the bank. It cost close to that to send my 500 in for recal. and new powder pan. Anyone else using one? Jackie B.

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Many less expensive digitals come with a small weight for calibration. Most are easy to calibrate and they need frequent checks with the weight. Most of the weights are rather large for what we do. Use a good beam balance and weight charges in the range you are using occasionally. These charges should then be weighed on the digital to check it in the range where it is being used.

When you know the digital is accurate you can use it to check your drops while reloading. The digital is faster as a checkweigher than the beam. You can see a digital scale drifting off zero. You cannot see a slow calibration drift. Use these scales carefully and be careful with the results obtained.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have one and it works well. I bought it for quick checks of powder drops and it does that without lengthy warm-ups and doesn't take up much bench space.

Ed

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What is the weight range on it?

5. Shooting Jack

The weight limit is 750 grains. I did notice last night when I tried mine out that mine will gradually drop if left with the powder cup and powder in it. I load AA 410 HS shells with 12.2 grains of lil'gun and checked several and was right on when compared to the beam scale but if left on there for a minute the weight would start to drop from 12.2 to 12.1 and on down. Don't know if they will all do that or if mine is bad. Hopefully Ed or someone will respond if their's does this. Jackie B.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jackie, I've never tried that with mine. When I got it, I compared its readings those of my Lyman DPS1200 automated powder dispenser and the two scales' readings matched, so that's all I worried about.

Ed

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Digital scales will change the weight display when left loaded for a period of time. Most digital scales have software built in that tracks zero. In other words it re-zeros itself when it shift off zero. This tracking software cannot work when weight is left on the scale. You can usually remove the weight, press zero and when reapplied the weight will be correct. In other words, this is normal with expensive scales.

8. Shooting Jack

Thanks fellas. I will try mine some more. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.