1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the end near ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Goozer, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

I have not shot in almost two years. Quit reloading and was buying some factories only when on sale. Thought maybe I would start again this summer.
    Sticker shock today, Shot 50.00$ a bag with know end in sight for price increases ? STS and AA 6.99$ up from 4.99$ last year. Estates 6.29$.
    Talked to a member this evening from Millvalle sportsman club here in Western PA. A very active trap club, at least it was. last summer and winter leagues
    80-130 shooters that is a big in-house league. Only 30 shooters this winter
    and expecting 25 this summer down from 130 shooters. gas at 4.00$ gallon this summer. Alot of guys that I shot with that have good paying jobs have quit shooting ! Will the ATA at Sparta be devasted this summer if the numbers are going to be down this much ? Selling the Trap gun and starting to shot more archery. This all makes me very sad because I have made many friends over the years shooting trap and many of them have just quit shooting because of the prices. It is not the shooting fees but the cost of shells and componets.

2. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

Just 8.99$ for a single box and only 49.00$ for a bag of shot ! Well at
    those prices forget my above post,I think I will call all my friends and start
    shooting again.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Goozer- Prices go up and down. This is a bad time, but things will get better. You mentioned the many friends you made shooting trap. How much are they worth?

Pat Ireland

PS- New discount shells $5.00 per box / Shot $39 if you order a quantity.

4. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

Pat, I beg to differ. Yes we are in bad times,however with the emergence
    of China and the Indian economies expanding ten fold the demand for lead
    and other precious metals will continue. All those electronics that we buy
    are all made in China and they use lead for the solder. There are many other industrial uses for lead as well. Theses encomies will take at least 10-15 years to run out. Plastic wads are made from Petro as well,checked the price of crude lately ? I will make a bold statement, lead will never see even 30.00$
    per bag. Can most people afford to shoot at 30.00$ bag ? I think the shooting industry will die a quick death,and I also feel the ATA will be disolved in lees than 5 years. These prices just are not high they are at a critical
    catastrophic level. It is great that you are postive about the future,
    however it is a free country and you can think as you like but organized trap
    shooting will be gone in 3-5 years.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Goozer, I beg to differ with you for more reasons that one. Shot is available for $39.00 at Poor Boys in Dothan Al and from Park and Sons. Probably more if you look around. But my main argument is prices for everything have gone up a good bit. Have you bought groceries lately? Have you had your car serviced? I have been shocked at sticker prices lately with the exception of new cars. With the exception of lead all the rest is due to inflation. WE are in a economical downturn so we will adjust and go on doing the things we enjoy but maybe not as much of it. Shoot well and often as you can. Jackie B.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

When factoring all the costs to shoot and you feel it is to much than stop shooting and move along but debating the costs over and over again is not going to change them.

If you feel it is to expensive then move along and enjoy whatever else you decide to do.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

Everyone talks about china and india etc etc, with a low dollar lead,nickel,copper,bismith,titanium,platinum,etc etc etc tec etc will always be at high price at least thats what they taught me in school low dollar high gold price hmmmmm. The end is near for a whole lot more than just shooting a shotgun.

Bill

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Everything will go down but your taxes when we get a democrat as president. You also won't have to worry about shooting , your guns will be gone too.

9. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

will be interesting to see how much the specator sports, baseball, nascar, and the like will be affected by the high prices, i think a lot of shooters will keep shooting just not as much, i know i won't shoot as many practice rounds save the shells and dollors for derby's and registered, don't think too many of us that started trapshooting ever thought we were gonna make any money at it anyways, always felt if i got some back, that was just a bonus to doing something i enjoy, hell it's better shooting a hundered targets in caps, than watching cars go around in circles, or some juiced up jock throwing a ball around

10. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

Well, at least the ATA did't go in the hole on a loan for 15+ million dollars to build a facility like Sparta. With the way things are around the world markets,being a renter at Sparta is a good position to be in. Shooting may be down this year and next but it is my belief that the ATA will survive. Tim M

11. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

KelleyPLK
    I would, and have, defended your right to your opinion. My opinion is that you are full of bovine feces. BRGII USMC

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

People say we are not in a recession but all of the indicators say we are and its not going to get better in the near future ... People cannot afford Health insurance, homes, medications to sustain life itself, the price of GAS is crazy, and personal debt is at an all time high and yet people debate the effect the economy or whats left of it is having on clay target shooting ..? The economy will never effect some people's lives but the majority of Americans can already feel the crunch or pinch and its only going to get worst if America stays the path its been on ... Shooting clay targets has been moved way down the list of prioritys on a lot of peoples lists in lieu of things that really matter ... Just an observation on my part but I see it more and more every day ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The price of lead will not end shooting. If it keeps going up, which it might, there will be a transition to steel shot. We have already reached the point where you can buy a box of steel target shells for the same price as premium lead target shells. As long as the prices are the same shooters will opt for the lead shells. If the lead shells become much more expensive then some shell makers will start mass producing steel target shells and we will make the transition. Steel is not as good as lead but it will get the job done. I have shot steel target shells in areas where it was mandated. The first time I shot steel was on a private course with multiple target presentation set up in a field to promote the use of steel shot for waterfowlers. I missed one target out of two boxes. Not as good as lead but still a lot of fun shooting. Now if you mean is the world soon going to end, I don't know, but I sure want to get in as much shooting as possible before it does.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hopefully the end is near for all those whinnig about the high cost of shooting. Go find something cheaper to do with your time.

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Well the end is allot closer now than this morning but the only problem with getting near the end of the day is that another day is just around the corner unless its Friday, then at least the end is a little farther away.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, December 21st of 2012 according to the end of the Mayan long count calendar.....

17. Frye

Frye TS Member

DITTO...
    To see a change in consumer goods and the costs associated with these goods, Fuel prices will have to DROP.
    Trucking companies, Including the one I work for has to adjust rates and increase Fuel Surcharges to offset the costs.
    Those shells that cost so much to buy? A truck brought 'em.
    Those cigarettes that you smoke?? Trucked in. That cola your drinking, the beer in your cooler, hell the Hamburger Helper that's in front me right now came by truck.

18. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Enjoy the days you have, shoot when you can, and don't vote for hillary or barak.

19. jdbronxboy

jdbronxboy TS Member

I've heard that trapshooters will pay $1,500, up to $2,000, or $4,000 or more for a quality trap gun and you're worried about the price of shot and shells? C'mon, sell the cadillac trap gun, buy a used BT-99 for under $800 and spend the difference on the reloading supplies. Trapshooting isn't going anywhere. No more doom & gloom, please. Long live the sportsman!!! VOTE accordingly.
    Joe D. in Sudbury, MA

20. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i agree, its tough to even get shooters. i have seen a MAJOR decline here in pa. in trapshooters. I believe it will only get worse. i am only going to shoot handicap events this year only. 50% less shells and fees. i shot 7400 targets last year. this year about 3000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.