1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS THE DNR A FRIEND TO THE SHOOTER OR HUNTER?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    at the local gun club a conversation was going on about this question. almost everyone said the DNR is not a friend to the shooter or the hunter. what is your opinion in this matter?
    steve balistreri

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Given the current left wing administration, you can bet they are not a friend. Too bad, our resources need to be cultivated and nurtured. City dwelling anti hunting and fishing liberals don't have a clue what that means.

Robert

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Most of the employees who do the "work" are ok, but they only follow orders!

It has its kooks in its ranks mostly the higher ups.

Again, its a government agency, enough said!

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Neither.

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    It depends....What state you live in. If the state has good numbers of productive lakes, good habitat for game birds, etc, those states tend to have a more productive DNR that knows what the state has to offer, and enforces limits and size restrictions on game fish. And keeps up the boat ramps, builds new ones, etc. Now, states that don't have a whole lot to offer, (like Indiana)...fishing is so-so, blizzard in 1978 wiped out all of our game birds, good deer population, but not EVERYBODY hunts deer, then the DNR tends to be a joke. It is just a puppet that is a necessary evil to the state government. All the money for licenses brought in is not being used in the right manner. But yet, they seem to go up every other or every third year or so. I don't get it. Always seems to have been a joke to me......Dove hunts up on the reservoirs are a joke. Sunflowers are NEVER ready to mow down or plow for opening day, (the dove season comes in waaaay too early anyway). the "drop zones" (mowed lanes for shot birds to fall in) are never wide enough, which means lost birds that fall in waist high millet or sorghum.....Those stupid mail-in draws to get picked to hunt are a joke too. I think they started that to make it a circus for hunters to hopefully get fed up and not fool with it-like I have....The DNR has poured tons of money into those damn wild turkeys also. Never mind that our pheasants have never come back from the blizzard 30 yrs ago..........so. no, the DNR is not our friend. Shooters or hunters. We don't matter to them. You just don't see a return on investment for the money spent for these lisences. Just my .02 worth.....

6. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

The DNR is a government agency. As such, they are never looking out for your best interest, they are concerned about money and power. Since when should the government be able to tell me what, where, and when I can hunt to feed myself and my family?

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A read of the financials/expenses of the states officials will tell you!

As for the field agents, I don't believe that I have ever met one that wasn't curtious/friendly.

8. Damifino

Damifino Member

Browning says...<i>Since when should the government be able to tell me what, where, and when I can hunt to feed myself and my family?</i>

According to King george III, wildlife is the property of the Crown - If I recall my history, it was one of the issues that caused some turmoil back in 1775....

9. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Guess you don't mind repressive regimes Damifino, I have a couple in mind for you if you ever think of moving.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

There has to be game laws and people to enforce those laws in order to prevent market hunting and wholesale slaughter of animals. We owe the abundance of game we now enjoy to those laws and the conservation efforts of the DNR Just my opinion. YMMV

11. Damifino

Damifino Member

Browning - I think you missed my point - I intended to point out that things that the Founding Fathers rose up against are much of what we are seeing today. Sorry if I didn't phrase it well.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i am not a hunter, just a guy who likes to shoot trap and occasionally shoot some skeet. here in wisconsin usually lots of hunters get their annual deer. this year only 1 person i have spoke to shot a deer, some did not even see one. last few years deer have been shot in abundance under the DNR watchful eye. did the DNR ALLOW THE HUNTERS TO SHOOT TO MANY DEER LAST FEW YEARS?? i would think the DNR WOULD NATURALLY BE A FRIEND OF SHOOTERS, HUNTERS, AND I AM SHOCKED THAT MOST FEEL THAT THEY ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS. think about it, in my way of thinking, it would be to the benefit of all parties if they were. years ago Vic Reinders told me when he was a kid, if you wanted to hunt, you just went outside and shot what you wanted to eat. no license or permits, no seasons to abide by. deer hunting in wisconsin is a big money maker for Wisconsin. to me, it just doesn't make any sense that they are not real friends to the shooter and hunter. over the years i have seen them shut down gun clubs due to supposely due to birds eating lead. infact a friend of mine who ran the playboy gun club in lake geneva wi was shut down because some birds supposely died with lead in their gut. steve balistreri

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

populated by tree-hugging ANTIs

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Steve, I think you will find it is the EPA rather than the DNR that is causing the problem with lead shot. The DNR has the responsibility to enforce the regulations the EPA makes. I personally think Congress should cut the funding for the EPA by about 50% just to show them they are not all powerful.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The equivalent of the DNR in Arizona is the Arizona Department of Game and Fish. They seem similar to the Illinois DNR. Most of the officials and agents are either shooters, hunters or sportsmen of some kind. I believe that they are also "conservationists" as opposed to "environmentalists." As in Illinois they know that their funding support comes from legislative sportsmen. Both states need to keep voting for sportsmen.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I own some land that has a lot of wildlife on it. The State owns the wildlife that lives on my land. I don't have a real problem with the State regulating how its wildlife can be used. When a hunter comes onto my land, he must comply with my regulations on how he can use my land and with the States regulations on how he can use its wildlife.

Pat Ireland

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I live in Georgia and in my opinion DNR SUCKS. This past year DNR director sold the licensing business for Ga to a friend in Mississippi. They receive almost three dollars for every license sold in Ga. It was never offered to someone in Georgia to keep the money in Ga. Then there's the boat ramps that are installed on lakes on golf courses for members only financed by DNR. If you visit some WMA's near the bigger cities you will find all kinds of food plots fixed by DNR money yet in the area I live they do nothing. If you know the Game wardens you can get away with breaking the laws and then hear some of them brag about it. The original idea was great and helped to build boat ramps on rivers and lakes and helped to control wildlife from being hunted to decimation. Originally the monies from hunting and fishing license were used to benifit the hunters. Not so today. I realize that there are some good wardens out there and that it's not right of me to lump them all in one pot. It's kind of like the lawyer thing, 97% givee the 3% a bad name. LOL Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.