1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Browning Cynergy a successful gun ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

The Browning Cynergy has been out for a while now.

Has the Cynergy overtaken the Browning Citori in the market place or the competition range ?

Given the Cynergy's sales and what Browning would have sold as Citoris if Cynergys did not exist...

Would y'all consider the Cynergy a major new product introduction success ?

Will Browning still be selling both the Citori and the Cynergy five years from now ?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Browning took a risk with the design & "Euro" appearance of the Cynergy and sales didn't meet expectations. The classic look of the Citori, inherited from the Superposed, will die hard.

-Gary

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Is the problem mostly looks and appearance or are there performance issues ?

Performance issues does not mean the Cynergy does not function but just doesn't do it any better than the Citori.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like how it looks, and to me, it handles far superior to any other gun in its price range. The only complaint that I have is its gravel-like trigger qualities. I've take several of them to the patterning boards and they have been very impressive. Both barrels shoot in the same place (which should never be taken for granted) and nice patterns even from the factory chokes.

Great gun for the money!

5. superump

superump TS Member

The Euro look isn't the only gun Cynergy has. I bought the Classic trap combo and absolutely love the looks and feel of the gun. I had the Baretta 682 Gold E and do not regret for a second the switch. Several guys at our club wish they would have went with the Cynergy. 100 PERCENT SATISFIED. I also own a citori and I believe the Cynergy Trap Classic is a better looking gun and feels better. My opinion as a happy owner of both. Oh and O also got a 5 year extended warrenty on the gun and that doesn't sound like the company is to worried about recall or big problems with the gun. Browning has been around way to long and way to successfull to fail.

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

If they would have started with the versions with the classic style stocks rather than those whatever they are stocks, where people had the ability to put rads and other existing hardware on them in order to get them to fit, I think they would have taken off better.

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

This is my .02 and strictly my opinion. So don't get ruffled feathers.

I don't like futuristic looking guns. I like classic looking guns. I tend to buy either older guns or new guns that look old. I don't have an AR 15, I have a Mini 14. Both do the same thing, one looks better to me.

I have never seen a radical departure from classic styling that I would buy.

I didn't like the Steyr AUG, or the new Beretta Space Rifles, I don't like the Vinci, or any of the new shotguns being developed to take us into the 21 century, hell I didn't even like the Remington Nylon 66 from 50 years ago.

The Browning Cynergy is one of the least offensive designs out there but I still would never buy one even if it made me a perfect shooter. It does not have the classic styling the founder was famous for. Other than the Win 94 Lever Action Shotgun, just about every gun Browning designed actually looked good.

When you start talking about guns, I feel you kind of have to look to the traditional, as the guide to what should be.

When you get right down to it the true test of a firearm is,,,, "does it do it's job so well that it stands the test of time" then looks become irrelavant.. However there are very few guns that have put in the time, that don't look good too.

Maybe we associate good looks with functionality, and become accustomed to the look of functionality as the benchmark for good looks. I like Glocks because they work very well, they don't really look that good, but since they work so well they automatically look better than they actually should. That is, if you were talking strictly about Art Work.

Guns that come to mind are 1911's, Hardly a classic statment of wood and metal, but they are arguablity the best looking handguns ever devised, mainly because we have been conditioned to believe that is what a handgun is supposed to look like. Colt Peacemakers, same story as the 1911.

Winchester lever action rifles, some of the best looking sporting rifles ever built. Winchester M12 shotguns which have been produced in every guise from fence post to fit for a king, some fine examples posted here routinely. The Classic Springfield Sporter as defined by Griffin & Howe. All define classic design.

And we haven't even started talking about the high dollar shotguns that frequent this site. All are artistic statments of varying degree, but virtually all are of classic design and execution.

Firearm design, be it asthetic, or mechanical can only evolve in very small increments. This is because of the outwardly "Conservative" nature of the primary users of the guns. ME and YOU! And as you know the owners of higher end guns, people that frequent this site, tend to be even more conservative than that.

Feel free to form your own opinions.

Randy

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Randy- I, like you, strongly favor a classical looking gun. That is why I painted the forearm and the Precision Fit Stock on my K-80 red.

Pat Ireland

9. superump

superump TS Member

How do these cynergys not classify as regular looking gun?
    superump_2009_2402.jpg

superump_2009_24021.jpg

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

All you guys posting about the Cynergy's low sales numbers, please post some real data instead of your feelings. What? You don't have any? Thought so. Browning doesn't release data like that.

According to the rep I talked to the Cynergy accounts for about 45% of Browning O/U sales in the US. It's been around for 7 years now and looks like it's here to stay.

I've owned Citoris and a Cynergy. When I had to sell a gun, the Citori went and the Cynergy stayed. Why? It's just a better handling gun for me.

At the moment you probably won't see a lot of them at the Trap ranges. For their length of time in the market place, I think I see a normal representation of them where I shoot.

So, is the Cynergy successful? We don't know yet, but you haven't defined what "successful" is. If you're asking, "Does Browning make money on them?" The answer has to be yes or they would have stopped by now.

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Pat Ireland: Since you are obviously Irish, I'm surprised you didn't paint it Green. LOL!

Randy

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It does make one wonder that if the Cynergy is all that. Why keep offering a $500 spiff to get people to purchase them.
    It will never over take or be better than the Citori unless there is a vast improvement in the triggers.
    If the triggers are not an issue than the Cynergy is not a bad gun for the money but you better hang on to your ass with the resale.

13. superump

superump TS Member

Baretta had the same spiff on the 682 Gold E last year except they didnt extend the warrenty to 5 years just the free range case, hat, glasses and soft case, and gun sock and they didnt give the $100.00 cash back. I think it's the bad ecomomy and people not spending money on toys that is causing the rebates as incentives to buy not because they are a bad product.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have not seen to many of them at shoots. At our club there was a guy who had one. He shot it for about 3 months and it broke. He sent it back and it broke again. He had it fixed and sold it.

I feel like alot of people. Its just one ugly gun.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Superump, you picked out a couple of the most conservatively styled Cynergy shotguns in the lineup. To be fair, this is the Euro style that turned a lot of people off when they came out. Browning must have gotten the message and changed the styling for some of the Cynergy lineup.

Personally, I do not care for the Euro styling on any gun. For that matter never cared for the so-called California look either, which Roy Weatherby embraced, with swooping, exaggerated grip, overly long forend tip, diamond inlays, etc. to make his guns stand apart but not add a damn thing for functionality.

Browning has gone Euro on their BAR rifle, and even Remington designed their new Versa-Max with Euro styling. In fact, Remington is using the Euro grip and forend style on some of their 700 and 1187 models. Ugh.

The most blatantly Euro gun is the Beretta Neos .22 pistol. And people scoffed at the Whitney Wolverine as being too futuristic.

And look at the Euro trigger guards on the Cynergy and Versa-Max.

I notice the AR15 was thumbed down as being a "modern" design. It's design roots go back to the 1950's. It was in limited production before the Remington 1100 even came out. I don't believe its design is "modern". It's design is pure "function", as is the FN FAL, which is even older than the AR15. It's also ironic that the AR15 is compared to the Mini-14, because the Mini-14 came out well after the AR15.

Now, having said that, and despite owning a pile of "black guns", my favorite rifles bar none are the Winchester 1885 Single Shots and their modern clones. Right on their heels are the Winchester 1886 lever actions. Both designed by John Browning, and both look good without resorting to "Euro" flair.

Even my "modern" 1100 and 1187s have that classic look, clean, no nonsense. I'll concede that my camo models lack that classic look. But the wood and polished blued ones don't.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I spoke with one of the Browning rep's at this years
    SHOT Show. He told me Browning was very disappointed
    with the Cynergy sales. There was talk of Browning
    discontinuing the gun. I don't believe anyone is
    installing release trigger in one but I could be wrong
    on that.

17. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Brian: My absolute favorites are the Griffin & Howe Springfield Sporters from the 20's and 30's. I feel these are what all bolt action sporters should try to emulate, and most of the good ones, M70's and Rem 700's are close, and if you look close you can see that styling carried over into guns such as the Dakota rifles of today. They are called the Classic American Rifle.. But somebody had to define classic. I think G&H did that. There is an outfit on ebay selling G&H repop stocks for 03's and 03A3's, which is where my A3 barreled action is heading. It already has the Lyman 48S sight installed.

My other favorite rifles are the Marlin Lever Actions. As Of next Tues I will have 5 of them. The newest one is a 39AS.22 from 1991, that I'm picking up when "my waiting period is over". I also have a 30-30, 2ea. .44's a carbine and a rifle and an 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. I like them because I can refinish the stocks, add a recoil pad, and someday soon some checkering and have, for all intents and purposes, a custom rifle, that I've got less than $500 in. Plus they are fun to shoot.

I bought my Mini 14 as a "can gun" and it kind of looked like a Maxi 14. Have had several AR's didn't buy them for looks. they are "can guns" too!

Randy

18. WGB

WGB Member

Hammer1, are you a Troll, or just post this same question on every shooting site?

Troll sounds good.

19. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Don't know why asking a question in more than one place has anything to do with being a "troll".

Like the variety of answers that one gets to a question from the different responders on this forum, the variety of answers from different forums is always informative to me.

Like to get lots of people's opinions on subjects.

At the trap range I have probably asked dozens of different people what the best load for the 16 yard line is.

Have learned a whole lot from the subsequent answers and conversations.

Different forums may be frequented by folks with different passions, interests, and experiences.

Hopefully I can learn something from their different perspectives.

In my education and growing up, was taught it was good to get different perspectives while thinking about things and especially before making any conclusions or decisions.

I may have even read different books to get different views on subjects.

20. AEP

AEP Member

For my two-bits worth I like the Cynergy. I have the Classic Trap Combo. For the money it can't be beat. I will admit if you don't like the looks of the Cynergy or any other gun for that matter you will never shoot it well.

I have not had any problems with the Cynergy. It has held up to the Browning reputation. The combo cannot be compared to a Perazzi or Kolar, however, I have never had a trigger spring break.

The Browning is a working mans class of gun. They are dependable, parts are available, and in most cases you can work on them yourself.

The trigger on the Cynergy and well as most new Brownings are the pitts. Blame that on Browning and their legal staff. I thing you would see more of them on the trap and skeet range if the trigger was better.

I have posted the fix to the trigger problem. I did mine sometime ago and it still works good and releases at 3 pounds.

Bottom line....I would buy anoter one.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
any prblems with browning cynergy camo holding up
browning cynergy for sale
browning cynergy gun sleeve

browning cynergy problems

browning cynergy recall
browning cynergy review
browning cynergy trap