1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Is Termite Insurance a Good Deal ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Easystreet, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that most of the people on this board are good, responsible people, so I thought I'd ask about your experience with termite companies or termites in your home.

I live in Florida and termites are definitely a real danger in this area. I've owned this house for over 10 years and have had it under a termite contract with the same company for that entire time. I've never had any problems with termites here and don't know anyone who has had a termite problem in our community.

A friend of mine says that he does his own termite protecting and has done so for the past 40 years and has never had a problem. When I read the contract that I signed with the termite company, there are all sorts of loopholes that they could use to escape responsibility if my house ever did have termites. If you haven't read your termite contract carefully, I suggest you might want to do so.

So, to make a long story a little shorter, I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue sending the termite company about $170 every year when I could provide the same preventative treatments for 10 years for about the cost of one year's premium. Additionally, when you consider that the termite company may try to screw me or find a way out of being responsible even if my house should get termites, then it just makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better off to just do it myself.

Does anyone have any war stories to tell about their experience with termite companies or with treating termites themselves?

Thanks for your comments.

Easystreet

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

If you have fire ants like we have in South Texas, you probably won't have to worry about termites. Would you like me to send you some? Ron

3. Easystreet

We have fire ants here in Florida too. Are you saying that if you have fire ants you don't have to worry about termites? Why is that? I've never heard that before.

Easystreet

4. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I went through the termite control stuff a couple of years ago and looked at the contract.

I concluded that there were too many loop holes the termite company could slip through.

I went to the local pest control place and bought enough termidor to do the whole house and left it at that. The pest control people allege I'm good for 15 years at least.

We did an application of chlordane about 15 years ago, when it was still legal.

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Fire ants are supposed to be hard on quail and termites. I am in the landscape and irrigation business and do sub-contract work for one of the major pest control companies. They don't even advertise their termite control service any more. YMMV Ron

6. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

How big is your house? Where are you located?

Can`t really say if your contract is a "Good Deal." I lived in Fl for many years.

They`ll eat your house right out from under you. Learn how to spot the telltale signs that you might have "Drywoods."

If you get Drywoods , don`t screw around with "Orange Oil" or anything else. Tent the place and be done with it.

Regards , Pete

7. Easystreet

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Thanks also to the PM I received. Anyone have anything further to add?

Easystreet

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Easystreet, Make sure they do inspections of your house under the contract.

dhwbailey , How are you doing the "treatments" yourself? The foundation footer has to be surrounded by bug killer.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A buddy of mine was doing some work on a house and found termites the customer had been using Terminx and they were supposed to guarantee no termite damage so he called them they wouldn't do anything

They finally called the top dogs at Terminx and he said they would pay up to $500 and that was it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.