1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is shooting trap like riding a bicycle?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Opinions about practice. If you know how to shoot trap, it's not something you unlearn is my opinion. I am planning on some down time this winter from shooting registered shoots as well as trying to get in practices. It seems what some people call practice is nothing more than just going shooting and having some fun, nothing wrong with that- fun is what it is all about anyway.

But as far as keeping your edge for breaking good scores next season, I just don't think it will and may hurt you more in the long run. Thick coats, numb fingers and cold toes may mean you are Macho, but might help you develop some bad shooting habits. Besides that I've noticed the expenses associated with shooting trap has gotten alittle more expensive, so I'd rather shoot when dressed in tee shirt and shorts!

What's your opinion, do you feel it helps or hurts to take time off from shooting trap? Biff

2. biff

biff Active Member

Jon, I don't need two, that's how I'm wearing blisters on my Ljutic breaksown finger. Good advice anyway. You can do that in the comfort of your own home and walk over to your chart, saving money with ever shot you take! Biff

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Yep, that is why Lance Armstrong never rode a bike between competing in the Tour de France each summer and Tiger Woods only hits golf balls in tournaments.

4. biff

biff Active Member

JB, I didn't know that, no wonder they are so good!

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

It's more like fallin off a bicycle: PAINFUL!

jim brown

6. biff

biff Active Member

Jim, I didn't know that! No wonder it hurts when I miss! Biff

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Biff.....I've done it both ways many times and I really DO believe a long lapse in shooting is bad news. In shooting, as opposed to bike riding, we get attuned to a shooting style that needs constant nurturing to stay sharp. To many things can go south if shooting isn't done on a fairly consistent schedule. We know what to do, and most of the time we don't forget, but we can fall victim to a lack of aggressiveness which good shooting demands.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I used to shoot leagues and practice all winter here in the great white north. last year i skipped the leagues, and shot very little practice, and I think it actually helped my game to take a break. This year I've only shot 2 rounds of skeet since labor day weekend, the least i've ever shot in that amt of time since i started shooting. However, once the weather starts getting above 50* on a regular basis, i'm out shooting 15-20 boxes a week of practice before the season, then about that much all season long between registered shoots.

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the late and great j.o. bates once told me to practice while shooting, he said that if i was hitting the front of the targets iwas leading too much and if hitting the rear not leading enough, and he never mentioned missing. i miss him as he was very colorful.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i fell off my bike and seperated my shoulder, gashed my eyebrow(4 stitches)and tore my ear up(7 stitches), hope they aren't too much alike. don't ask for details it's a long stupid story. jackmitch

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ben Hogan was once asked; How does one get to be a great golfer, take a lot of lessons? Hogan's reply: Don't worry about lessons, just hit about 1,000,000 pratice shots and you'll be great! Does that apply to trap, YEP!

12. biff

biff Active Member

Hipshot, I respect your opinion and liked your post on the reminders for shooting trap you posted awhile back, very good. I understand where a loss of sharpness could occur, but seeing both--shooters who shoot all winter and never show any improvement and seeing several shooters I know who take the winter off and come back in late sprng and start out shooting like they never took a break with their scores being at a very high skill level was the reason for my post.

This past season seemed longer to me than past seasons for some reason and got me thinking that maybe some time off from shooting especially during miserable outdoor conditions would do me good. Instead of prolonging my shooting, I would just kick back and try to maybe stay sharp through exercise, diet, videos, reading trap how-tos, and using my Terry Jordan wall chart- just to see what it may accomplish for the upcoming season. It wouldn't be so much of a rest as it would be more of a preparation for the upcoming ever increasing competition in the Sr. Vet division! It was extremely challenging last year and with more top Vet shooters turning 70, this year will will be even tougher. I want to be rested, ready, and at my best to be up for all competitions I plan to enter! Thanks to all who have responded, your ideas stimuluate my mind! Biff

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I took two months completely away from shotguns, 7 month lay off with no trap at all, the BAD results

handicap average is down, but started clicking the last event last week.

16 yard is up almost a full percentage point

Doubles up almost 5 percent

I guess I am really hurting

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.