1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS SHOOTING ADDICTIVE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    i started shooting in 1970, love the shooting, the camaraderie, made some really good friendships over the years. in the early years, i had to sell guns to pay for realestate taxes, braces, doctor bills etc. tried numerous times to quit,due to the expense. took up fishing, while drifing in a boat, all i thought about was shooting with my friends. took up golf, all i thought about was shooting. started shooting 1,000 practice targets a week, could not get enough. went to the grand, shot every target i could, and had to get on a grand american early handicap squad so i could get back home in time to shoot a nearby club's ata shoot. purchased every book i could find on the sport, every magazine. read these books during my breaks at work. my wife would ask me to paint a bedroom on the weekend, told her "when the time is right". 3 years later, she asked if the time was right? said I have an ata shoot to attend. she asked me to drive her 68 miles to see her elderly aunt, and i said it was to far to drive. she asked me how come when it pertains to shooting, i have taken, planes, trains, cabs, to get to a shoot? how come i can't drive her 68 miles? found out the city that her aunt lives in has a gun club with an ata event coming up. told her, the time was right to visit her aunt, who knows how much longer she has to live. she asked me when the bedroom will be painted? told her i could only do so much. told her i wasn't put on earth just to paint. she said that i wasn't put on earth just to shoot . i said i think i'm addicted to this sport. since 1970, i have spent $210,000.00 in new and used guns, primers, shot, hulls, entry fees, hotels etc. the list goes on and on. IS THERE A SHOOTERS ANONYMOUS? IS THERE ANY HELP FOR ME? ARE ANY OF YOU ADDICTED TO SHOOTING??????
    steve balistreri

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Yes...there is no cure. Just keep shootin'

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

duh.......you bet!

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ABSOLUTLY

5. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

just admiiting it is the first step, yeah the first step to allow yourself to shoot more,20 years now yeah baby. i used to be a beer salesman ,since i dont do that anymore i quit drinking , bam another $100.00 bucks a week to spend on shooting . trapshooting has consumed my life. tommorro i am going to Englewood near Vandalia and i think i am going to take the Oct.1990 Trap-n-Feild with me and show it of to some people in the U.D.F stores i go to. i love the smell of burning gun powder also. Thanks

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hi, My name is Jerbear and I'm addicted to clay target shooting. It started one Sunny day when a friend of mine invited me to go with him to shoot a weird game called "Golf with a shotgun". I believe they called it Sporting Clays, well that was it, I was hooked and the disease spread from there. Skeet,Trap, Scrap, Wobble Trap, 5 stand and the lists goes on and on. I try to fight it... I really do, but in the middle of the night I hear them damn clay birds calling..."Jerbear...Jerbear... you missed me today and I didn't break on the ground, na na na na na na". So I wake up and go out through the window, (because I was born Cesarean) and try and track down that little clay bird I didn't break so I can stomp on it, you know, it keeps coming back night after night after night..... aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it's addictive and I also belong to the hull whores anonymous association.
    That's when you just can't stop yourself from picking up once fired hulls.They just sit there and look at you saying go ahead I dare you... come on you know you want me. Even though you have 4 80 gallon trash cans full, that little bastard is telling you to pick me up or someone else will.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

aahhhhhhhhhhhhh now I fell better.... Jerbear

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO again:
    my wife read the responses to my original question. she can not believe there are other shooters out there that are also addicted. would you believe on a cool morning , when frost is on the ground, when i shoot a federal paper, i smell the inside of the shell? if a chemist could bottle that fragerence, there wouldn't be one single woman on earth. add a drop of hoppes #9 behind the ear and the wrist, god, is that a fantastic smell. my wife said we are all nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! still have not painted the bedroom.
    steve balistrei
    p.s. guess you have to been a shooter to understand what we are talking about.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I need a weekly fix so yes I'm addicited

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hey Smoke......what kind of crap are you trying to hand your wife! You don't have to tell her its addictive! Just go shoot and shutup!

10. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Yes and vewey much so!! I can say I am an an addicted one as well. I just got back to shooting again after a 22 year layoff because I got consumed with a disease that took me away from this addiction. My wife was so happy until just recently I walked in with 400 Rem. Nitro shells a bag of wads and a lb.of powder 500 primers and a LEE Load All II reloader and a nice used 870 shotgun. She made the comment,like, I thought you were through with this. Nope!! Just waiten to get enough strength back to when I shoot I can start shooting from my wheel chair. I have since been given a fairly new MEC JR. (worked on my friends computer he gave this to me)(Nice Friend Eah!!) He's not hurtin none he has four mor Mec reloaders of different sizes and production. Also has a working PW. The P.W. loads his practice rounds and the Mecs load his 20 gage shells for bird hunting like Dove & Quail and his 12 gage he loads for registered targets. The wife was not a happy camper so I said SO!! You smoke, then I'll shoot!! and now have been for about 4 months. Am now shooting around an 88 average. My registered shooting in the 80's was 92%. With an overall of 94% A couple more months and I should be grinding out the 92% average. I now have 1000 AA's loaded and 700 RemNitro 27's loaded with 700 mixed needed loaded and 1500 more nitros on the way. ADDicted!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I trying to shoot my way out of this addiction.

Sounds good to me!

Hauxfan!

12. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I don't think that you are addicted. From my own experience, I believe this is perfectly normal, rational behavior. Enjoy! By the way, my wife refers to Hoppes #9 as "Frazier pot pourrie" (sp.?).

13. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I can think of far worse things to be addicted to.

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Shooting is an obsession with me. If I don't get at least two weekly fixes, I start to feel it in my guts; get all shakey and have to put the gear/guns in the car and go to a local club for my dose, even if it's only one round of 5-stand.
    You aren't alone, Steve.

15. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I'm not addicted ............. I can stop anytime I want to................I just don't want to stop.

hubcap

16. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Welcome back Rich, good shooting. GOOD LUCK

17. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Well, let's see -

Admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion - I absolutely have to have a new Perazzi (K Gun, Ljutic, etc.).

Recognizing a greater power that can give strength - Please help me get used to the 1 1/8 oz loads of #7.5

Examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member) - I need lessons, a new stock fitter, Gracoil, etc.

Making amends for these errors - Hours at the 16yd line, inking those birds.

Learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior - I will not stomp off station five after missing a dead straight away for my 25th straight.

Helping others that suffer from the same addictions or compulsions - Join me at the club. We can shoot trap, five-stand, and skeet.

PS - The above was liberally lifted from Wikipedia.

One more round!!

Best,
    Dennis

18. sam952

sam952 TS Member

Ya Think! LOL

19. Billster

Billster TS Member

Ummmm.....I have no problem. BUT.....

On my way to Dick's to buy MORE cases of STS this a.m. I stopped at High Roller Tattoo and had the Browning Buckmark Logo tattooed on my trigger finger. I only shoot when the range is open - Wed - Sun. I'm pretty much on a fixed pension income but WTF? Had to miss a great ATA shoot on Sunday to photograph a wedding and I'm told I was intolerable. Occasionally called out 'PULL' and felt better. They thought I was nuts but just reminding myself there IS a better aspect of life out there. Kept me sane thru the ceremonies. When the range is closed I pace, read this forum, watch the Kiner DVD, pull my gun out and polish the barrel (that doesn't sound just right). Thank God my girlfriend is into shooting. I'd be out on my arse.

Today's a good day because tomorrow a.m. I'll be on the line again. heheh.

I don't have a problem. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Bill

20. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

steve,

just because you don't want to paint the bedroom or go to visit relatives without a shooting motive isn't indicative of an addictive problem... more like prioritized life choices.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.