1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is sheet lead good for making shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have found a source of sheet lead melted to 1 or 2 pound cubes for $80.00 a hundred but was concerned that it wouldn't be good for shot as it is supposed to be pure lead. Would I need to add anything to it? Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

$20 for 25 pounds.. that is getting close to the not worth it section.
    if you can mix in some WW's it will be fine, I have made shot out of everything from WW's to lead pipe to 99% xray lead..

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

To soft.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mix it 50/50 with wheelweights and it will be fine stuff !

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The current "real-world" wholesale market on clean lead is $35/100; wheel weights (and other "dirty" lead) is at $20/100.

Ed

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

50' is no where near the distance you need to drop shot
    try 154'

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It would depend of what kind of "sheet lead" it is. If it has been made for shielding it's probably soft lead. If it has been made for industrial uses it could have a good percentage of Antimony in it.

Ajax

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha....$80/100 for scrap lead?

Probably figures that you just fell off the turnip wagon!

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Ahab,I agree with you. That seems way to high. That being said, I was at gun show last weekend and saw a guy selling one pound ingots for a dollar an ingot. He sold about 5 or 6 while I was talking to him. He said he had sold about 100 the first day at the show. With the wheel weights being done away with and some states pushing it more than others. It will be interesting where it all ends up.

Ajax

10. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

i mix and will continue to mix soft lead with wheel weights .i mix 50/50 could i use less of either ???????

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you have a lot of wheel weights, a 70% wheel weights with 30% soft lead mix runs and is sized better out of my shotmakers. I've run a 50/50 mix, only because it's hard to find wheel weights.

Ajax

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How's the shape and what does a size 7-1/2 mic out to.

Ajax

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

7 1/2 is .100

14. plinker611

plinker611 Member

ive found too soft and youll be a larger size,and not as round,and moore slow downs at the shotmaker,mark

15. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i use a harbor freight parts washer as my coolant tank 10 gallons dot 3 brake fluid,i run my coolant through a trans cooler sitting in a cooler with ice&water,200gph pump i can run 500 lbs and never get above 90 degrees,my drop is only 7 inches,i prefer to run shot in the winter,have a woodburner to pre warm my ingots(2.2 lbs),and its hard to keep up with my stewart black max,last 4 years have run over 4 tons of shot.mark

16. plinker611

plinker611 Member

rick,i was selling it and did pretty well,last march i started youth trap at the club,the kids shoot 1200-1500 shells a month,and the shot sales slowed way down,we supply all ammo&targets to our youth for free,so ive been abel to donate the shot for them(their worth every hour of time to make the shot)..im pretty fourtunate that i work for the 16th largest automotive group in the country,in my area there are 10 service departments,and for the last 16 years ive gotten all the wheel weights from 10 tire changers,but the way lead is going i am worried how long my wheel weight stash will be around,2-3 yrs ago a 5 gallon bucket had 10%-15%junk weights,now its over 30%-35%crap.watch out for the zink/lead weights(they will have the lettes mc-zn on them)a few of them can ruin a pot of lead,if it happens they make good pistol bullets.as far as pictures of my simple setup ,ill look into posting some,mark jones

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Rick, maybe you missed my question? Have you ever run it through a Micrometer to see how the size is comparing soft lead to the hard stuff?

blkcloud, 7-1/2 is .095. If it's .100 they're 7's.

Ajax

18. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Buy and shoot reclaimed @ 17.50/26 pound bag and forget about making your own shot. It's a pain in the butt and doesn't save you enough to warrant the effort.

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

rick979, I agree I would not start one up today. I bought my first shotmaker in 1987 when the tire shops were giving the lead away to get rid of it. Where I worked they were tearing down old Sulfite mills and gave me the lead pipes. I used to keep a cushion of 8-10 tons of lead.

I soon grew tired of spending most of the nights of the week making shot. I needed more heat to run faster, I got more heat. Now I had more heat then I could use. I needed more drippers, I built a header system with 32 drippers. Now I had more hot lead, now I needed more cooling. I built bigger tanks. I wanted more hot lead storage, put a 90 pound hot pot with bottom spout on top of the system. Needed more cooling. Recycle the fluid through steam heaters.
    Started with a dry wall mud mixer to tumble and dry the shot. With all the other upgrades soon a cement mixer was in my life.

I was doing pretty good until I saw Jim101's continuous run system.

Well you just know I had to try one of those!

Ajax

20. plinker611

plinker611 Member

amen rick,if you can get the good weights get em,if i see a news article about a trapshooter arrseted at the mall parking lot for steeling wheel weights,ill think of a fellow shotmaker like us,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.