1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is recycling old roof tin onto a new roof doable?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

each field currently has a 12x30 tin cover that you have to duck your head to get under. i'm thinking of raising them up a foot or so and making them 16x16 to better facilitate the bs conversations that go on under there between rounds. the tin is good, it's just that some trapshooter roofer put about forty screws in each sheet. the more holes, the better, right? can i patch it with something that will last another 15 years or should i just go ahead and begin politicking for the money for all new tin? thanks

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

2nd world countries do it all the time, most are in the slums.

GB
    DLS

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A patch of thin galvanized stuck on with a sealer like Geocel should do what you want...

MK

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

geocel. thanks. excellent. so we won't look like impoverished trap shooters! remember, only 35,000 people die around the world each day from starvation. wouldn't want our shade from the trap field to look 2nd world. what kind of a doctor are you, anyway? good luck with it

5. best99

best99 TS Member

Just patch the unused holes with sheet metal screws with rubber roofing nail washers.

6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

For sure, use the old tin. Used tin is a way of life down here in rural Alabama. And, I might ad, it works very well.
    Mike

7. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Why not make the nail the new lathe on the same spacing as the old. That way you could just put screws through the old hole into wood.

Andrew

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just don't do what the previous owner of my place did. He salvaged a roof from an old barn and used it to reroof the barn here. He wanted it to look nice so he flipped the tin over. So all the previous nail holes that were on the peaks were now in the valley's! Pretty smart fella don't ya think? Lolz.

ss

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Use silicone to patch the old holes.

10. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Was traveling around rural South Africa.

Saw lots of stone buildings and houses without roofs.

Asked the locals about them.

They said that all the materials in the house construction that had to be bought with money were taken when the residents moved to a new location.

The most expensive item was the metal roof.

Stones, mortar, and wood were just picked up locally where the house was being built. No cost.

The windows were just holes in the walls as were the doors.

Some had the bottom portion of a Dutch door.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You obviously realize the job will be easier and look better if you use new materials. You need to weigh these benefits against the cost of new steel. I know if it were me I would regret the reuse option every time I looked up at the structure. The third world connotation came up a few times, I doubt you will have many club members that want that to be the new club look.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Use the old stuff! Kind of like trying to keep water in a colinder.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Use the old roof metal!

While you have it on the ground, give it a coat of aluminum paint on both sides.

Not only will it make it look like new, it will help to preserve it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.