1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is premium ammo really better than promo ammo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Is premium ammo, e.g. AA & STS, really better than promo ammo, e.g. Estates and Gun Clubs?

In 12 gauge for skeet and 16 yards, I don't think so? But what about long handicap?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

NO, Scores about the same

4. ChetH

ChetH Member

5. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

6. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Maybe. GaryL.

7. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Yes, that's why it costs more, however are you asking if it makes a difference?

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

Very simple test - tear a couple of each apart, are charge weights consistant? Roll the shot across a pane of glass, is it round?

ctreay

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I once had an employee who had previously worked at a large vegetable canning company. She explained that the difference between the brand name cans and the generic ones was the label. All of the contents came down the same line to the labeling machine. When there were enough of the brand cans made, the machine operator inserted the black and white generic labels. The line did not hesitate before, during, or after the label switch.

I'm confident the shell makers don't operate at exactly this level, but it seems impractical that they would keep cheep components and inaccurate equipment available to make crappy shells instead of quality ones. Of course, I've been wrong before - often.

I am not a great shooter - fairly good, but no place near great. I've used top line ammo and some of the cheap stuff. The differences I've noted are; cheap shells usually smell worse when fired, some cheap shell get stuck in my gun, the more expensive shells feel and look nicer. I have no evidence that I shoot better or worse with expensive ammo.

I must admit, too, that shells from B&P are more expensive than even most premium shells. I don';t know if I break more targets with them, but I am convinced that they are easier on my shoulder.

Larry Frieders

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Yes. Cut one of each of the premium and cheap brands of shells apart, weigh, measure and test the hardness of the shot. Pattern them through a full choke. The cheapies are not consistent in weight, size, or quality of the shot. Some have inferior wads and primers that may damage the firing pin or breech face in certain guns. You also may not get what you paid for. A recent flat of promo shells made by Federal marked 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot actually held + or - 1 1/16 oz of shot that measured closer to #8 1/2. The shot size ranged from approximately 8s to 9s but most were near the 8 1/2 size.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Of course not, buy the cheapest shells you can find and please play all the options.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

To those answering "yes", is it because the the premium ammo patterns tighter? If you want tighter, why not just screw in a tighter choke?

That said, I've also heard that true Full Choke pattern, i.e. 70% at 40 yard is impossible to achieve with any choke tube with promo ammo. Any truth to that?

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Probably only Neil W. can give you definitive proof of superiority of premium shells. I firmly believe one of the benefits is greater quality control, resulting in better components.

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

What if there are very observable, measurable differences between promotional and premium ammunition components...

But no difference in scores ?

15. singles

singles Member

I cut open a gun club shell one day and found it only had 1 oz of lead in it. I called remington and the guy tolde they were filled by volume not weight. He couldnt or wouldnt answer why they advertised them at 1 1/8 oz then.

16. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

I'll give you some proof, Leo shot Challenger shells for a few years, and shot very well. So one day Brad, Leo, me, Ricky and Tank are setting around and Brad says to Leo, free isn't always the cheapest as far as shells goes.

17. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

As sure as God made little green apples, it IS JUST my imagination, but Win AA
    #7 1/2 seems to give me a consistent push of recoil and my breaks at the extreme limit of range are "prettier", not a chip and a flake.
    (Modified choke bbl on an 1100)
    that's my story etc etc
    ///Olde Pharte/// ML Johnson

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There are observable, measurable differences in shells. Premium shells are better than many promo shells because the components are first rate, particularly the shot. It is rounder and harder and gives more consistent patterns that hold together longer. Any of you who have done extensive patterning know this.

That being said, it does not necessarily mean you will score better with them, especially for singles.

I can reload with premium components and achieve the same or very similar results as factory premium shells for promotional shell prices. I choose to do so for the peace of mind it affords. I know my barrels throw beautiful patterns, as do my reloads. So I know that when I miss, it is my fault, not my equipment's. If the premium reloads buy me an extra singles target or two, so much the better. I know they help for handicap.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Yes, to confirm ask the All Americans or the Big Dogs ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

"If you want tighter, why not just screw in a tighter choke?"

Because a tighter choke with soft shot is likely to result in a poorer pattern not a better one (fewer shot in the pattern).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.