1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Perazzi quality really that good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I notice in lots of threads guns get compared to P-gun quality yet we have 4 veteran shooters at our club who shoot together who bought trap guns back in the 70's they are still using,1-TM1,1-BT99,1-model 12 and one with an mx combo I think its an Mx3.I questioned them and both the Perazzi's have been rebuilt the combo set twice(firing pin hole and locking lug,various trigger springs and firing pins)The model 12 has had the link to the forearm replaced and the bt-99 has one broken firing pin.The MX combo and the Mod 12 were used for doubles so probably have more rounds through them than the other two but that old Bt99 reciever and pin hole still looks pretty good and locks up tight.The only comment I could get out of them was "Ya that cheap shotgun has held up pretty well" The gent with the bt99 repied "you mean inexpensive".Three of us pre-vets bought trap guns about the same time 1-mx-15,1-SKB 85tss and I have a Dt-10,my Beretta is definately the winner in this mix in both wear and breakdowns and we shoot about the same number of targets a year.I am not badmouthing anyones gun they have all given excellent service and to each his own just an observation.Jerry

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I saw somewhere that a third of the guns shot at the Grand last year were Perazzi's, must be a reason.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Perazzi rebuilds made Giacomo a wealthy man!!

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The Toyota Corolla will certainly have less maintenance than a Ferarri or a Porsche or even a Corvette. They are all cars right? There is no difference in the driving experience?

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I think they use Perazzi's in the Olympics dont they? that was the reason I got mine.... I have a 1100 bought in 1982 with about 7k rounds through it and all I have ever done other than a couple of orings was I drove a roll pin in the receiver to keep the trigger in because the hole had egg shaped and my trigger kept falling out..

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Interesting observation.

Wonder why most Olympic winners are using Perazzis.

I'm also wondering why the most winning cars in F1 racing are (the high maintenance) Ferrari.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Avaldes,I have a 1978 Mercedes Benz diesel with 450,000 miles on it that runs great and is pretty much original except for brakes and U-joints definately would have outlasted a Toyota Corrola in repairs in the same number of miles,which is my point.Jerry

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This question should be addressed to the Germans in the fatherland who were competing in the olympics that traded their K guns in for P guns. I heard mention that one of them quoted "if you don't compete with one, you will be beat by one" I worked with a guy who had 450,000 on a 1991 Ford Explorer who went back and forth 174 miles every day.

9. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Ford/Chevrolet - 8-7/12. Been shooting a TM1 since 79. Rebuilt couple
    times. Last time end last year. They all perform good. They all have
    broken parts. Doubt U will find a gun that can shoot for 30 years without
    a breakdown.

Doyal

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

ask jack{MIA} what he thinks of p guns. he has owned a few of them,probably still does..dwain

11. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

first explorer has 300K on it, sold it to a freind who parks her mustang in the winter and drives the 97 explorer. Explorer #2 has 200k, son #2 drives it at college. Explorer #3 106k, I'm still driving it. no major repairs to any, just brakes oil. and ball joints, all still have orginal exhaust/

My P gun Mx3 built in 1984, rebuilt in 02, still going strong, having the stock refinished and checkering sharpened up, only one broken leaf spring, fixed it in 5 minutes.

12. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Of course no one honestly can say that Perazzi is the best made gun in the world but Mr Perazzi had renounce to some procedures that make the gun last longer but gives you better performances for example he did not chrome the inside the barrel and tin solder the top and side ribs this way the barrels don’t get over heated keeping this way their flexibility. For this reason they cold blue the barrels and the bluing don’t last. He decides to use the flat springs instead of the classic ones but this way if you break a spring you can change it in two seconds without taking a gun shop with you and so on and so on. No is not the best quality made gun but for a lot of reasons it is the one that it is choose by the top shooters in the world because was build and think up to win medals.
    Marcello

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you want a shotgun to last...Any of them.. Learn how to correctly clean and oil it.. You'd be amazed at how much longer a properly maintained firearm lasts.. NOW.. the little tiny BS springs need to be changed yearly.. or at times.. even more often.. Sorry.. that's the way it is.. All Guns.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When the Perazzi TM-1 and MX-8s were first introduced into this country there was no comparable US made shotgun, workmanship, tight fitting parts, and nice wood. They immeaditly won attention as well as their winning trapshoots. Perazzi was then called the Rolls Royce of shotguns as I recall. That was in the late 60s as I remember, and the rest is History, Perazzi took the USA to a new trapshooting level. The first really good American trapgun was the Model 12
    and the Rem 870s and 1100s and then came a guy named Al Ljutic and he designed a trap gun and put it into the hands of a guy named Dan Orlich, he became a legend, then one went into the hands fo Britt Robinson, the fastest shooter I had ever seen, and then there was George Snellenberger, Larry Gravestock, Franl Little, Doug Bedwell, Ken Jones, Bueford Bailey, Britt Robinson, Dan Bonillas, Lawerence Russo Jr., Ray Staffoerd, Kay Ohye, Jerry Hauser, Don Ewing, gene Sears,Steve Carmichael, Brad Dysinger, Roger Smith, Eddie Schneider, Terry Bilbery, Don Slavich, Vern Brown Jr., Leo Harrison, William e. Johnson, Reggie Jachimoski, Phil Ross, these guys were the Rolls Royce of shooters and have distinction of holding the Platnium Grand Slams, earned on the 3-hole 1200fps distinction rules.These guys deserve the utmost recognition before the rules were relaxed by a poor ATA administration and Executive committee and rules making relaxing the standards of trapshooting.

We had more shooters in this trapshooting eran and it was ould grow a few more years and then leveled off and started the downard decline. The crowds of shooters would follow these guys as they moved from trap to trap to watch them shooting, it was absolutely amazing.

The top shell at that time was the Federal Paper Shell and the AA Red 3 Dram
    all others were a distant second.

Those Federal Papers sure did smell good after shooting them. And the base wads
    little RED Base got a few targets called here and there as they would seperate and look like a piece of the target had come off.

Winchester changed their product to the HS hull and lost a drastic percentage of shell sales, and were quickly surpassed by Remington with their STS Hull amd the Nitro-27.

The rest is the present, and the past is HISTORY and RECORDS that will never be broken as the rules have been changed.

The rest of the record grand slams will be known as the BRONZE SLAMS to me and should be to others near my age being 68 years old.

Just like ROCK-N-ROLL of the 50s and 60s and 70s that was trapshooting at it's best.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it!!!!!!

To these past record breaking shooters my sincerest congratulations and the ATA should Honor them with a special Platinum Pin or Something.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Well, I have had my MX-8 for over 31 years and have been very satisfied with it. I don't know how many shells I have shot through it but, probably something over 50,000.

I agree, proper maintenance is very important (with any gun)!

Allen

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bought my MX-8 in '98, and have the same springs in it. Still have a 4.25# trigger pull.

17. Steve W

Kim Rhode's 4 time Olympics winning Perazzi has way over 1 million rounds through it, I personally don't know any other gun had that kind of mileage.

As for the original design concept on American trap guns, Al Ljutic made a wonderful example in late '60s. It has been copied by others and sold at higher prices.

18. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Perazzis are hard to buy and easy to sell. An old TM1 or MX3 is worth about 50% more than it sold for new. There is a reason for this.

Steve W thanked this.
  19. Steve W

Rick made a valid assessment.

In 1973, the lowest MSRP for a Perazzi O/U was US$795.00

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Rick979, any gun you bought in the 60's 70's is worth at least 50% more then what you paid for it back then. I bought a new Rem 760 in 1976 for $170 I sold it 3 years ago for $300 I bought a Win 94 in 1966 for $89.95 I am sure it's worth $250 today. It's all inflation related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are perazzi shotguns that good

perazzi quality

why are perazzinshotguns so good