1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Obama lying about gas tax savings?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Obama claims that your savings from suspending federal gas taxes is a half a tank of gas.<br>
    <br>
    Let's do some math....<br>
    <br>
    Federal gas tax 18.4 cents per gallon.<br>
    (From http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp)<br>
    <br>
    Average per capita gasoline useage 464 gallons.<br>
    (From http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/gasoline_per_capita.html)<br>
    <br>
    The proposal is to suspend federal gasoline taxes for six months.<br>
    <br>
    464 gallons per year divided by 2 = 232 gallons for 6 months.<br>
    <br>
    232 gallons x $.184 = $42.68.<br>
    <br>
    At an average price of $3.50 per gallon (at least it was when the ad first ran), dividing $42.68 by $3.50 = 12.2 gallons.<br>
    <br>
    Looks like the math is correct. The savings is about a half a tank of gas for the average motorist. Obama has not lied about this.<br>
    <br>
    The next question is - can Obama deliver on his promise to actually investigate Big Oil for price gouging and do something about it?<br>
    <br>
    I doubt it. Other than the Windfall Profits Tax, which never affected Joe Average anyway, not much ever got done. If you look at the returns on individual shares of oil company stock, the earnings are often less than a dollar per share. There are plenty of industries that make far more than that per share. All I hear is the phrase "we need change". OK, how about a little substance? Just how is Obama going to change this? What's his plan? I'm tired of hearing "change", "change", "change". To quote the old lady in the Wendy's ad, "Where's the beef"?

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

There will not be a change in the way big oil operates or in what any canidate says when they are running. They are pawns & out right liars and have no guts to change whats wrong with the Govt.

3. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

REMEMBER HE IS A POLITICAN, IF HIS LIPS ARE MOVING HE'S LYING !!!!!

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hes a communist. We might as well ask Putin to run for president.

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

frenchy got it right

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Obama also stated that drilling in ANWR would only result in a savings of "a few cents per gallon"

Obviously Obama got his economics education from Marx, et al (Not the brothers).

What he, and others of his ilk, fail to take into consideration the effect on internal oil generation. The U.S. dollar will strengthen, driving down the cost of oil on the world market. It will also have the effect of dramatically increasing supply, further driving down prices. It's estimated that ANWR could move the price of oil down to the $35-$40/bbl range. Our secure position in oil supply would also be enhanced significantly by offshore drilling in the adjacent continental seas. There is also a significant supply of oil available from the current Alaska wells, since no new wells have been drilled in years.

Best,
    Dennis

7. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Did I read or hear it wrong somewhere that all the oil from the alaska pipeline is sent OVERSEAS? If that's true it's an OUTRAGE--somebody enlighten me.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

It is a shame that an American President has to go overseas and ask a foreign government to increase oil production when we have supplies right here in the good ole' USA. Get serious with the environmentalists and reluctant politicians and develop our own supplies, build refineries, build nuclear power plants, etc. There is no excuse for blocking our own energy resources and new refineries while decrying high prices and demonizing the oil companies.

As to the oil in the Alaska Pipeline being sent overseas here is report in 2000 regarding the exports. It may have changed by now.

http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/natural/nrgen-25.cfm

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

One obvious solution to the cost of gasoline at the pump is to drive slower. Just remember to keep right except to pass, and that driving too slow presents its own risk. So far, it appears many are adverse or oblivious to this idea, even when its benefits are immediate. At 60mph, your vehicle may get 10-20% better mileage than at 75-80mph.

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"Obama doesn't support the break from the gas tax, that's a Hilary and McCain thing"

Read the first sentence of the first post Trappy, then read the whole first post again. Sheesh.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Driving slow is not a bad idea. Today I was following the owner of my home club to eat dinner. He was driving his antique truck at about 60 mph on the Interstate. I have the digital bling in the dash, and was getting almost 35 mpg in my Cadillac!

We were on a pretty flat road in good shape. When I have to drive to Ohio next month for a week of firearms training, I think I will leave early and drive a little slower.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It always cracked me up when the truck drivers whined about the national 55 mph speed limit. "That ol' double nickel (55) sure burn da fuel, yessir." Excuse me, but trucks don't get more streamlined at 70 mph. The truth was they got paid by the mile, and the fewer miles you could drive in a day, the less you got paid. But that didn't sound as good as lying about fuel mileage.

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

What about all the conspiracy theorists who think that the Bush family and the Saudis are 'in bed together'? I suppose they'll now say the reason the Saudis won't increase production is because the Bush family only made that trip for 'show' and what they really want is for the price to keep going up, right? Sheeeesh. And don't think there aren't people who'll believe that.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.