1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is new colt 10 MM built on a 1911 frame

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

could you just get a different barrel and magazine to shoot 45?

or is everything different?

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My Delta Elite 10mm is on a 1911 frame. I don't know what "new Colt" you are referring to.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

they just reissued the delta 10mm - think they are all stainless now

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If it's anything like their old Delta series (I have a stainless Delta Gold Cup) then the slide face is narrower, and the extractor and ejector are inboard more, because the 10mm case head is smaller in diameter. I do not believe it will convert to .45 ACP. Even if you installed a 45 slide, the ejector is still the big question.

Frankly, you'd be better off leaving a 10mm as a 10mm. The reason is you'll want to modify it with a full length metal guide rod with a Shok-Buf, and if you shoot full power 10mm loads as God and Jeff Cooper intended, then you'll also probably want to install a 24 lb recoil spring. This is eliminate frame battering. I also added a Pachmayr rubber covered semi-arched mainspring housing. This made the gun very comfortable to shoot with full power loads, with about half the felt recoil of a Glock 20.

If you're going to shoot 10mm "Lite" loads, then just pass on the gun. You can get the same performance from a 40 S&W or 45 ACP. The 10mm is a true magnum, exceeding the .357 Magnum in some loadings, and by shooting reduced loads, you're just duplicating the above cartridges.

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gene,

I have a Springfield Omega in 10mm. Bought a slide and had Austin Biehlert (Pipersville, Pa) complete it to fit the frame to which I had him install his pivoting trigger. He installed a Barsto barrel, fitted match bushing, full length guide road, ?#spring, extractor, match sights, and gave me two Wilson .45cal mags. He told me the spring was for 185gr SWC and gave me a different spring for 230gr ball. Ended up with two complete uppers (slides) for the same frame. Don't recall how much it cost me as this was in the mid or late 80s. Austin has since passed on. Both calibers shoot extremely well. Subsequently, I also bough a Mech Tech upper in 10mm for this frame. The 10mm in carbine length barrel with appropriate sights is a potent home defense or "entry" weapon.

Chichay

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Springfield Omega is, in my opinion, the ultimate 10mm.

It was designed as a true multi-caliber slide, and has two extractors, one on each side, to accommodate different rim diameters.

The slide is a heavy chunk of steel, much larger than a 1911 slide. This mass helps it with the 10mm and other magnum-level handgun cartridges.

Pity it did not catch on. I could kick myself for not buying one.

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I own one of the deltas made around 1987. Really like the gun. I shoot it with the hottest loads I can. One thing, the safety had to be replaced as my loads really beat the gun up. One poster stated he thought the new deltas come in only stainless. I believe they can be had in a blue also. If you're thinking of a colt 10mm you'd better jump on it quick. I don't think they'll build them for more than two or three years this time. And may never make them again. Jim

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Listen to what Mike/PBB said, he did a few experiments on 1911s.

From 10mm to 45ACP on a 1911, you'll need a complete 45ACP slide (with barrel & spring), magazine, AND ejector. i've done it more than once.

BTW, I have complete Colt commercial & WWI, WWII GI 45ACP slide & barrel or complete 10mm slide & barrel for sell if you're interested.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have a very nice S&W Model 10 all souped up with a bull barrel and action job. Very fast and accurate. Don't have to wait for a slide to move back and forth either. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.