1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my crimp right? and some other questions.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.R.Buchanan, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I just loaded my first shotgun shells.

I have some questions for someone who knows what he is doing.

[​IMG]

The shell on the left is a new factory loaded AA from 20 years ago.

The second from left is a new universal hull loaded by me (1st one)

The third and fourth are old style AA hulls loaded by me. 2nd and 3rd

The load is 17.5 gr Green Dot, 1 1/8oz reclaimed #8 shot, Fed 209, CB/WAA12.
    Machine is Pacific DL266. 10 Powder and shot charges were weighed and found to be within 2% of expected.

Problems I want to correct are:

1. On all of the shells I loaded the crimp is slightly dished inward. approx 1/16" using the factory round for a reference. The shot column measures 1/2-9/16" from end of hull before crimp.

2. the wad pressure apprears to be 50 on the scale provided.

3. the crimp and front edge of the shell are octagon shaped instead of being round like the factory round.

My questions are concerning the adjustment of the wad pressure, precrimp depth and final crimp depth.

Question #1 Is the wad pressure too high? what exactly should it be? (range?)

If the wad pressure is too high will this affect the height of the shot column adversley, and thus the inny or outty of the final crimp?

Question #2 Do I need more or less precrimp to get rid of the octagon shape or is the octagon shape normal for a plactic hull reload?

Any help will be much appreciated. I have and have read the instructions for this machine. I need some practical advice from someone who is experience with the Pacific DL-266 press.

I know I am close, just need to fine tune a little bit.

Thanks Randy

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should be able to correct the problem. Only make one adjustment at a time until you get the crimp you like. First I would reduce the wad pressure to about 10. The precrimp depth only needs to be changed if you are getting a hole in the center of the crimp. Adjustments will only be good for one type of hull, so stay with one type while making adjustments. You can also get rid of the dished in crimp by dropping a little more shot, or by using a different wad. HMB

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Those crimps would work but I am way to picky. Mine look like your factory shell.

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Your load sounds very lite for a green dot load. My guess is that you have too little a powder charge for the type of hull / wad you are loading. Most (certainly not all) green dot loads run 19-21.5gr for a decent target load. Try a recipe that uses the same components with a slightly larger powder drop in the 19.5 - 21.5 range, but DO NOT try this without verifying from a recipe that you can safely use the other components too. You can go to www.alliantpowders.com and get all sorts of green dot loads.

also chilled and high antimony shot drop a little differently as volume is concerned and this may be what is happening to you, but you did say that you weighed 10 drops and all were 2% of 1-1/8oz right? I too would first back off the wad pressure and see what you get. If your loads and still dished in, select a different recipe that calls for the same components.

Happy Loading!

J.F.

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Suggest U back your wad pressure off as previously mentioned.
    This should correct or help the dishing. If that doesn't work,
    increase the start crimp a little at a time until looks better.
    Too much start crimp will cause swirling in the crimp.
    DON'T adjust components to correct the problem.
    Doyal

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

1) The powder charge is on the very lite side for Green Dot, if you really do want the lower velocity then go with a faster powder like CLAYS. Otherwise consider going to 19.5 to 20.0 g of Green Dot, that will help with performance and help fill the volume.

2) Wad pressure should be just enough to deflect the indicator on your loader (20 pounds)

3) Raise the crimp starter up a bit. (start with one turn) You want about 3/8" opening on the mouth of the shell after the crimp starter.

4) Raise the final crimp plug up about one turn. You want the top of the crimp either flat or just slightly convex.

5) When your old AA hulls wear out, get some STS or Gun Club Remingtons. Don't mess around with those 'Universal' hulls or mix hull types/brands. Forget about all the cheap Estate and Top Gun Federal hulls that are in abundace and free for the taking.

You should expect to make shells that look as good as the factory shells other than being a little bit dirty. You are close to doing that and on the right track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pacific dl-266 start crimp