1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is MX3 twice the gun as MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by teddy34, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

A current For Sale makes the comment that an MX3 Special is twice the gun as a
    tired Ithaca MX8. I shoot a Mirage (Ithaca)but it is not tired. Should I be
    looking to get an MX3 Special or any other Perazzi, that would be better than
    a well maintained Mirage or MX8? I use mostly on Sporting Clays and am not
    yet interested in a higher rib.
    Thanks for any opinions.
    Gary Owen

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No. shoot what you have.

3. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

The MX3 Special is a super nice gun, but certainly no better then a MX8. The statement "MX3 Special is twice the gun as a tired Ithaca MX8" I would say is made as to convince people that his gun is worth what he's asking. I think he also states the a "tired MX8" sells for $4500-$5000. There are some super nice ones from $3750-$4000 which I would say is an average price. Once again I believe this statement is to justify the price. Just my 2 cents.

4. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Thanks, MIA. That means alot coming from you, as I get tempted every time
    I see the beatiful guns that you sell. Gary

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The old MX3 is an adaptation of the older two trigger MX8 platform. Back before the popularity of the "un-single" the MX8 combo had a top single and Perazzi provided two triggers.......one that shot the top barrel first for the top single barrel and one for the OU barrel that fired the bottom barrel first. This and the frame design made the MX8 more expensive.

The MX3, with it's pared down monoblock and single trigger that fired the top barrel only, was Perazzi's answer to a lower cost gun. The very first Mx3's had problems with loosening prematurely. Perazzi got on the stick and fixed that problem with the gun but some damage to the value of the Mx3's remained for several years. Since then some have promoted the gun and shooters like Dan Bonillas and David Kelly, who have shot their Mx3's to the record books, have bolstered the gun's reputation and the value for these guns has risen.

Are they better than an Mx8? Not by a long shot. Are they good guns? Hell yes! Both are great tournament trapshooting platforms.

The Mx3 Special is just a copy of the Mx8 Special with some changes in how the barrels are supported and a tapered top rib. It's more akin to the Mx8 than the older Mx3.

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Thanks Barry for the history lesson. Gary

7. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

The MX-3 is definitely a less expensive design than the MX-8. It has a less expensive, less robust mono block design. Is the MX--3 a great shooting gun? Of course, but to call it a superior gun is clearly inaccurate. John

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The only people who think an MX-3 is a better gun than an MX-8 are the ones who own them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The main thing I like about my MX3 is the design of the rib.

10. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

There needs to be a Perazzi sticky somewhere...

Now which one has the rounded monobloc that uses mx8 locking bolt?

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a few "late model" MX 8 O/U's for sale for less than the asking price of a 20+ year old MX 3 Special.

I'll take the MX 8 any day....old or new.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't know who would make that statement. There're no bad Perazzi, only better ones.

MX-3 was Perazzi's first attempt to step into lower price category, to compete with guns like Beretta 680s. It certainly did it's job, and did it well. Through out the years, many trophies won by great shooters using MX-3.

MX-3 spl was an improved version like MX-4 in Europe at the time, it utilize the MX-8 style squared monobloc to avoid the weakest point of original MX-3. But it still uses non-sculpted frame to lower the cost.

MX-8 is the bench mark of Perazzi shotgun, and it sets a world standard of modern shotgun design. It's the first choice of most Olympic medalist.

13. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Where does the MX-6 fit into this?

Just a cheaper version of the MX-8 or an improvement on the MX-3 or is it something else?

Jim

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I guess most TS.comers haven't been around long enough to remember when Phil Kiner posted a 400x400 thats 200 in 16's 100 in doubles and 100 in the caps at one shoot. He used a MX-3

15. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I thought phil Kiner shot a mx 10 top single for at least one of the two 400 x400.I have his first video,and that is the gun he used in the clinic tape .Maybe I am mistaken.

joe

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Steve W said. "MX 8 is the benchmark of Perazzi shotguns and sets the world standard of shotgun design."

Many other manufacturers have copied all or part of that design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

use mx3 as gun