1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is lock time important?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are shooting international skeet it is

Piddle - you should know that

you were never toliet trained it seems

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Consistent hammer fall is important. Todd

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Yes, Yes, and Hell Yes!
    That is the reason that I had to give up on a 390 and a 391. I loved the guns, but couldn't deal with the slow lock-up time of the trigger.

ec90t

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's french

other than internatioal skeet -- fast lock time wont matter because your body will adjust to it whatever the lock time is

international skeet- you can lose the second shot out of bounds

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- What is Nort?

5. PITA ; please move East

PITA ; please move East TS Member

Lock time is THE SINGLE most overrated hype that has ever been spewed to try and sell a gun!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Poor Vic Reinders, Rudy Etchen, hell...Arnold Riegger would have been better shooters if they just had better lock time (tongue firmly in cheek)on their old shooters.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Lock time has nothing to do with the trigger pull weight. A good crisp trigger can give you the perception of fast lock time, but that perception will differ among shooters.

Lock time is only, the time it takes for the hammer or striker to trip, fall, then stop, all measured in milliseconds.

Don't know about the fact that springs will rebound at the same rate, but I'm sure that the rate changes with regards to the mass (size of hammer or striker).

Doug

8. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

The only thing I know, is that the target breaks at the same time I pull the trigger...

9. gjmen

gjmen Member

Could you speed up lock time by making your hammer lighter? gjmen

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

WTF is lock-up time????

Jim

11. gjmen

gjmen Member

I wonder if these "skeletonized" hammers are the only reason why Precision Triggers are quicker, or claim to be a quicker lock time? Has anyone had any experience with Tom Wilinsons titanium hammers? And what do they cost? Thanks, gjmen

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In aanswer to the original question, "Is lock time important", it sure is if you can get someone to buy a titanium hammer.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can buy faster triggers for Model 12's and then it don't matter because they are as fast and they need to be ... I happen to think "lock time" does matter if you think about it rather than the matter at hand when shooting ... Triggers are available for most guns out there today to take the "Lock time" out of the equasion and let you consentrate on the targets ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Except, Mike, there is nothing special about the lock times of Ljutic triggers at least in Monoguns. How can there be?

As you explain, lock time is a function of hammer-spring force, hammer weight, and distance of hammer fall. Ljutics are in the lower range of spring force, at least the ones I have owned, the higher range of hammer weight, and about mid-pack in hammer-fall distance.

This means it can do no better than average in lock-time. There's no such thing as "the Ljutic Law."

But the point is that people switching from other average-fast locktimes commonly reported right here how much faster the Ljutic was and, worse, how they had to change the vertical POI to compensate for it.

None of that was "real" or course, but that's how screwy things can get when you think too much and "shoot the target" too little.

Neil

15. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Just point your gun a little ahead of, and online with, the target. All the rest of this is bullshit.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What 2labman says is true. It's what works for each individual to attain that measure of consistency whether it happens to be fast or slow. In that light, we have to ask ourselves, which is easier and quicker to accomplish that consistency with a shotgun for trap and other games? Most of the top shooters have stated that trap shooting is a matter of inches, not feet as some think. When your eye says that things look right, wouldn't you want a more quick response since we're dealing with a matter of inches here? I certainly do, same with my rifles when shooting at a running silhouette target that varies it's speed down the wire.

Richard Luckett above is a very good consistent shot with his choice of trigger and it does work well for him from what I've seen. How long would it take to get that consistency with a flint-lock if our game is measured in inches? It's different strokes for different folks but I'll take the quickest route every time. Hap

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Probably not as important as trigger time (practice, that is...)

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Lock time is only important if somebody with a handgun is chasing you and you are running for your front door. It is at this moment that you will want a faster lock time the most and every 10/10000 of a second will be felt in a very real way. Yes Virginaia, Lock time is important. P.S What Mike said.... Jeff

19. JLW

JLW TS Member

Neil Winston and PerazziBigBore,

I'd suspect hammer weight has lesser influence on lock time than distance of travel unless there is a very weak hammer spring and a very heavy hammer present. I do agree that perception is a relevant issue.

How do you relate "lock time" to the Silver Seitz with adjustable trigger, May '07, Trap and Fild, pg. 95; "...a trigger mechanism that operates like a fine rifle trigger. The trigger is fully adjustable and has an inline plunger instead of a hammer"?-Jerald

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jerald, it's not really a case of any element's "importance." Distance, spring force, hammer weight all play an absolutely determining part.

It looks like spring force and hammer weight are straight tradeoffs. Pesky Newton sticks his nose into yet another thread with F=MA, F being (spring) force, M hammer mass; A is the acceleration of the hammer. Halving the spring force has the same effect on A as doubling the hammer (effective, since it's pivoted) mass. So the two are simple, and equal, tradeoffs.

Distance works this way. The formula is S=(1/2) AT**2 where "**2" means "squared."
    So let's in our heads double S, the distance the hammer falls. What happens to T, the lock time? It looks to me like the locktime just doubles. I'm a little uneasy about that, but I can't see any error right now.

So it appears that the three elements are equal partners. Double mass or distance and double lock time; double spring force and halve it.

The rules for plungers are the same. But you can make them have a short fall and pair them with a strong spring and speed lock time. I don't know what the weight comparison is, but you can't just put them on a scale since you have to move the whole plunger the whole distance, not so with a hammer, so in this aspect it's ad-hammer.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.