1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth switching to two eyes.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've been a one eye shooter for over 45 years, have about a 95 average and have three 100's and numerous 99's. Only been shooting registered birds for 4 years and have only made it back to the 22 1/2 yard line, Class C doubles but do get into the 90's now and then.
    I have a number of shooters telling me that the only way to get better is to learn to shoot with both eyes open. I tried it tonight and found I could do it, but it just does not seem normal or comfortable. Is it really worth the trouble to try and change my style at 63 or should I just stick with what I've been doing.

2. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Two eyes are better than one!!

3. bhandzus

bhandzus Member

Nora Martin Ross is a one eye shooter!

Bob

4. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I had to re-learn my self years ago. Seemed awarkward at first, but bthe change is worth ithe trouble.
    Sonny

5. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Just started shooting trap in Feb of this year, was dead set on 1 eye shooting. Had numerous people tell me I needed 2 eyes. Best thing I did was went and shot the dreadful S word, skeet. You have to have both eyes open to be able to shot the first bird and find the second quickly. Worked for me, after about 5 rounds of skeet I noticed that I wasn't trying to keep both eyes open. Went back to shooting trap and now it feels comfortable and natural with both eyes open. Just one mans opinion!

Allan

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

God gave you two eyes.

Hauxfan!

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Thanks NU2 Allan, that's an interesting approach to it. I'll have to try that. Bob

8. kolb

kolb TS Member

When you're looking at a pretty women walking down the street, do you close one eye or do you keep both open??? I hope this will help for an answer)

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I wonder if the answer depends on your own eye dominance. If you're same eye dominant, the answer may be 'yes'. If you're cross eye dominant, the answer is 'no'. What are you; same eye dominant or cross eye dominant?

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

if your dominate eye matches your mounting side, give it a whirl.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've convinced a few to work on and become 2 eyed and they've all been very pleased at the other end of some work. However, those I've determined are cross eye dominant, their choice is one eye or change shoulders and that's a lot more work. If your dominant eye is the same side as your shoulder of choice, you should take the time to try converting to 2 eyes.....Bob Dodd

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you can manage it then keep both eyes open. You will enjoy the experience.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a left handed,left eye dominant shooter who shoots right handed and uses both eyes, it is simply a matter of discipline to watch the target.

To help in initial acquisition of the target, I hold the barrel of the gun a little below my line of sight, and focus on distant scenery. When I see the movement of the bird, my eyes focus from far to near and lock on the bird, NOT going back to the front bead, and I attack the bird. I do not crossfire. I do use the Hi Viz front pipe system.

Training with living legends, such as Les Greevy, Wendell Cherry, and Terry Hetrick, have transformed my shooting and training techniques. However, age and health issues take their toll some days. LOL

Again, it is a matter of discipline. I would not like the idea of driving, looking at that pretty young woman, or shooting with one eye closed.

I shoot all Clay Target disciplines, as well as Rifle, both Precision, Game Shooting, and Open sights with my Patrol Rifle. I also shoot open sighted Defensive and Sport sidearms.

I Instruct and Coach most disciplines, Defensive, Law Enforcement, and Sport Shooting in Shotgun, Rifle, and Sidearm. I shoot right handed two eyes open for all shooting except for Bullseye. I shoot Bullseye Pistol left handed, left eye, since my left hand is my precision hand.

As was said above, the Good Lord gave us two eyes and stereoscopic vision. Learn to use it! A willingness and desire to improve will cut down on your transition time and effort.

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It seems your doing fine with the way your currently shooting so why honestly change things now that are working?

If others told you that if you threw your shotgun in the mud before shooting would improve your shooting because ... well ... would you listen to them if your happy with your current scores?

Are you not happy with your current scores?

15. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I'm left handed and left eye dominant, shoot left handed. I was a little surprised at the scores I got the first time I shot both eyes open. (22,23) I may just have to try it for awhile. A well fitted gun sure helps.
    MrNewbius: Until I'm AA27AA I'll continue to try and improve, don't you?

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Two eyes open will provide a wider field of vision and increase depth perception - neither one is required for American trapshooting.

17. wm rike

wm rike Member

Most people will say you can pick up the birds more quickly. I think it tends to even out any blurriness if your eyes water like if its windy or cold, and it's probably an antribute in low light conditions.

I started out shooting one-eyed when I was young. When I decided to make the change to both eyes I put out of my mind any concern for scores, just shoot 'em. After a hundred birds it was wholly natural. I shoot competitive rifle with both eyes open, too.

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

When I first started shooting 4 years ago, I shot with one eye, left eye dominant, left handed, really my scores weren't that great (15-16). After about 3 or 4 weeks of constant low scores, we couldn't find what I was doing wrong, my setup was right, the way I mounted the gun was right, but I was still dropping targets. Finally, one week when the conversation got around to 2 eyed shooting (don't know how it came up) they started discussing how much easier it is to pick up targets, which I figured out was my problem, I wouldn't see the target until it was at it's peak, I would then jerk the gun and miss. So I decided to try two eyed shooting, immediately my scores began to go up, and I was consistently shooting 22-23's in about 2 weeks. So anyway, my lesson was learned when I couldn't see the target coming out of the house. But if one eyed shooting works for you, and you can see the targets, stick to it. JMO, Josh.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There are three correctable things that kill scores. Flinching, a gun that shoots too flat and cross eye dominance issues. Just because you test right eye dominant does not mean that you will not have occasional loss of dominance in that eye. While I am sure there are several reasons for this to happen, such as fatigue, it does happen and when it does, depending on the target presentation and yardage, you will lose that target. Phil Kiner's DVD can provide some insight into how you can tell if it is happening to you.

I learned to shoot with two eyes, made the 27 in less than 18 months and shot my first 100 straight using two eyes. However, I discovered that I was losing eye dominance and so 4 months ago I switched to a tape patch. It took me a while to learn the new hold points and to make the right move to the various target presentations. Finally got it sorted for 16s a month ago and have posted 200, 99, 99 in ATA since. Handicap is coming along and will catch up in another couple of months as all I have left are the hard angles on 1 & 5 to get automatic.

So, in short, I am a lot better shooting with 1 than 2 eyes and I am confident that it will allow me solidify my techniques for each target presentation so that they are more easily replicable from day to day.

20. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

That's interesting, almost all of the trapshooting stories I've heard have been starting out 1 eyed and switching to 2 because of a problem with hitting birds and not getting good scores. But for someone to shoot good scores with 2 eyes and switch to 1 because of eye dominance is a little different. Guess it shows how everyone has their own unique shooting style. Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.