1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Buying flats from $5.00 to $5.50 a box. Considering reloading again. Considering a Sploar Gold reloader. What is your cost of a box of shells if reloaded. Thanks

2. smsnyder

Buying flats from $5.00 to $5.50 a box. Considering reloading again. Considering a Sploar Gold reloader. What is your cost of a box of shells if reloaded. Thanks

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well loading with the shot, primers, powder and wads i had purchased this last fall my last figures came to $3.73/box. Thats $37.73/flat for STS. Of course now that shot is alot higher as well as Powder the next batch will be higher but i still bet giving i buy in bulk again i'm not much over $4.00/box. Thats worth my time. If you are going to factor your time into the equation you may as well not reload. Its my relax time besides the fact that i get a personal enjoyment when i shoot a good score with my shells.

Matt

4. smsnyder

Thanks

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

smsnyder--remember if you go drop that money on a Spolar, bushings, scale and any other extras it will take a little while to get back in the green. Try to buy your components in bulk. You usually get better prices that way. Also look for good deals on the components and buy when the deal is there. If you have to order your supplies you'll pay a Hazmat fee but usually only one charge for no matter how much you buy. Buy alot and the Hazmat fee barely shows. Best bet is to find a local supplier.--Matt

Opinions will vary

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No it's not.

I'm buying loaded ammo for $54/flat. I can load for about $48/flat. (if I shop around and buy in bulk)

I am an avid reloader and have been for my entire shooting life. Yes I can make great ammo but no it is not cost effective at today's componet prices.

Me telling you about what it cost to reload using components bought in a different era has no relevance on today's reality.

Bottom line, there is no way you can justify the Spolar based on the differential between today's loaded ammo Vs. componet prices.

Now if you want a hobby and like nice things then get the Spolar.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have not loaded a shell in over 5 years. Around these parts 5 years ago,primers were non existent. I can buy new at around $50/53 a flat. I still have 25 bags of shot, 3 or 4000 primers, wads and powder. Maybe next winter I'll load some. Right now, my spare time means more to me than saving a quarter/box. My Wife, Daughter, Granddaughter and myself like Estates. For the State Shoot I'll splurge and Wife and I will shoot STS. Larry Evans

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Never cared about the cost. I reload because I enjoy it and when I soot ball my targets I get the satisfaction knowing I did it with my own shells. Brings a smile to my face. Dave T.

9. wsk

wsk TS Member

Makes a lot more sense economically if you're reloading 28 or .410 given the cost of those new shells. (Not that there's much trap shot with those gauges!)

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

As with many situations, it depends.

I buy in large quantities, and scored a ton of lead last summer. There are several guys at the club that pool our needs together and beat hazmat and freight issues, but close to wholesale I suspect.

1-1/8 oz loads in Nitro hull runs 3.64 a box. 1 oz no doubt are slightly less, but not enough to make me look.

I enjoy reloading, heading up to do quite a bit this weekend. I use a hydraulic Spolar and it is a pleasure to use. My loads are crazy consistent, I believe better than factory loads..including Nitro and STS. No comparison to the cheap shells, using West Coast hard 8's.

If time and trouble concern you more than a great shell to shoot, I am sure buying flats in bulk you could still get them at around 5.00 a box. I see various ads around there. I personally enjoy the job, and the finished product is worth the effort to me. It is just an extension of making them empty again.

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If all you need is standard target loads, and you don't already own all the equipment, with lead costing what it does right now I think you'd be crazy to load.

12. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

To me it is more than cost of the shell. You need a good place to load or the wife will make it not fun. You need a good place to store all those shells. You have to save and handle the empty shells it just get to be to much to save a dollar on a 9 dollar transaction. Tom

13. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Rumor has it that those $50 to $55 flats of shells will be up over $70 by the end of the summer. Might make reloading a good idea again (or a just in case option.)

Terry M.

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I started reloading when new shell were 3.00 a box, and reloads cost me 1.00 a box. NOW, it's a waste of time. I haven't used my P-W 800B in years.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I figured this all out on a different thread of which the link is above. This is at todays prices with tax. I do not know how to attach a link you can just click on. Click on Stl Flyn about 2/3rds the way down the list. Jon

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Just did some checking, With Clays powder and cheddite primers, downrange wads and Lawerence mag shot. l l/8 oz. loads at $4.66, l oz. loads at $4.32, now Universal clays powder in the next two and Hll0 for last--$4.00 a box for 20 ga. and $3.54 for 28 ga. and $3.05 for 410's a box. Now add in reloaders,scales,e-z-pak,extra bushings, misc. Not worth it right now in 12 ga. at all. Now if shot prices stay up there this summer and do not come back down because of high gas prices and other reasons, new shell prices are going to go way up again. Right now new shell makers on locked in there total year prices, but when there contracts with there lead miner come up again. Well you get the idea. Have fun while we can for as long as we can. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I don't know if reloading is worth it or not but I enjoy reloading as much as shooting, almost. It is what I do in the winter when they are long and cold. Load up and stock up for the summer shooting. I also like putting my own little touch to the loads. That is why I reload. Not for the cost savings.

18. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Use this link to figure it out yourself:
    http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The only way you will save money is by purchasing reloading components in volume. It really doesn't pay for me as I purchase 1 lb. of powder, 300 primers, 1 bag of shot, and 500 wads at a time. The reason I do this is because I am continually trying to come up with a really good reload and trying new recipes. Once I find something that works well I will order from Recob and have them deliver enough supplies to last me awhile.
    Steve Balistreri

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Nope...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.