1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it the gun, or is it me?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I started shooting trap in April - traded in a Browning Recoiless (defective) and bought a new Browning XT with adjustable comb; Shooting about 100 rounds a week and I've gone from being ok with high teens to be unhappy with 20. A couple of days ago I picked up a really clean (honestly, inside and out it looks new) Winchester Trap 1200, 30" fixed full choke. It was going to go in the closet for friends or my son to use. I took it with me to the league shoot yesterday just to see what it shot like and it left me perplexed. I shot four practice rounds with it - 21, 20, 21, 23. In between those rounds I shot my league 50 with the XT - 36. I look at the XT - $2,700 - look at the Winchester - $300 - I have one relative who thinks you have to have a Ljutic or Blaser, or similar to even start this sport and here I am after a couple of months and outshoot myself with this old pump. What the *&^%!

2. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Probably one of two things. A: It fits you better. or B: You relaxed while you were using it.

3. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Thats the problem with this sport ... In my limited experience, I am finding that all guns shoot different for ya. There is no telling how the gun will work for you ... until you try it. Gets expensive trying lots of guns !! I have bought 6 guns and sold 3 so far ... in less than a year. Would be a lot easier if there was a supermarket of guns ... with a range out back you could test them on !!

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

It's not the arrow, it's the indian. I suspect your XT has not been dialed in to fit you correctly.

Robert

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As you guessed, you don't need a high buck shotgun to break high scores. What you doo need is a gun that shoots where you look and you need to buy lots of ammo and shoot it at lots of targets.

I think you made a real upgrade in going to that XT Browning and that gun should take you as far as you want to go in the game of trap - you may need to get it fit/adjusted however.

Sounds like you are at the point where some professional instruction would really help you separate the truth from the fiction. I reccomend you start with Phil Kiner's DVD and then if that works for you take the next step and get into one of his two day seminars.

6. BudLight

BudLight Member

yakimaman, Put each on pattern board. Ron

7. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Start with BudLight.

SW

8. ismah

ismah Member

Yakamaman, I believe a shotgun is basically a pipe that shoots BBs. I've owned Parazzi's and Brownings that were professionally fitted to me. My best scores have come from an off the shelf 870 bought at Walmart. Hitting clay targets depends on your state of mind; if you're in the zone you will hit them all, if you are impressed with your expensive gun you won't.

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm clearly not someone to give advice, but it seems harmless to chime in on this thread. I've done well with my older BT99 and decided to raise the stock and comb. While the stock is being worked on, I dug out my Browning pump (BPS) and found that I was crushing them like never before. The new rib is on the BT and the stock will be back next week.

According to the gurus, my scores will probably suffer a little while I get acclimated to the heads up configuration on the BT. I'm hoping it isn't too bad. Not that there's anything wrong with using the BPS for trap.I guess the BT just seems to fit my personal perception of a "trap gun". I'm planning to shoot it well.

Larry

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yak, Don't even think about it. One day does not mean a thing. Now take them both out a couple more times and try again if you like. Then make a choice after the 3-4 time and some time to think about why you like one over the other at that time. After you shoot around 30-50 thousand rounds you'll get used to shooting comp. targets and get good if you take some lessons and are a real serious shooter who really hates to lose. Because that's what it takes!!! It should take 2-4 thousand to get used to any gun!!! Now you see the high volume of shooting it takes to get good??? So now you know why it takes a gun that will not break-down while shooting targets in these higher numbers. A O/U if serviced properly once a year or two will not break down if its a decent gun. How ever pumps, auto's have problems breaking small cheap parts at the worst time. You need to be a good gunsmith with your pump/auto and carry all parts for it to every shoot you want to go to. Even the traveling gunsmiths of today don't carry parts for Rem. and Win pumps and auto's anymore. But they still will shoot just as strait as any other gun. Have you had your XT fitted to you by a good rep. stock fitter??? If not, I would suggest it ASAP. Breake-m all. Jeff

11. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Just to summarize:

1) One day, while it doesn't quite "mean nothing", isn't near enough to draw a conclusion.

2) Have you verified the gun shoots straight at a pattern board? Had it fitted or at least gotten advice from someone who knows what he's talking about? (Careful with that!)

3) Have you received *competent* instruction? Not necessarily professional, just the basics. Without instruction, your ability to self-diagnose is small. And being new, you haven't yet had time to realize all the bad habits you've formed, whereas good instruction would save you all that grief. Which leads me to:

4) Yeah, it's probably you, assuming the guns shoot straight.

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Oftentimes, shooting a "strange gun' will result in a temporarily elevated score. It is likely that your awareness to how you were shooting as well as your concentration (perhaps unconsciously) improved when you changed guns.

I would be willing to bet that the improvement is only temporary.

The XT is a wonderful trap shotgun. It is well made, properly configured, (or configurable) for most people, and very durable.

I would be surprised if the Win 1200 held up under serious trap shooting.

So yes, I agree with fritzi, it's probably you.

Been there.

bluedsteel

13. butcher

butcher Member

Blue Steel is right on. You might try setting your XT to shoot about 7 inches high on the pattern board and ajust from there.Don't worry whether the beads make a figure eight or not if their is space between them that's okay.

14. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

I'd trade both in and get a Blazer. Brownings don't shoot straight enough.. ;-)

15. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

16. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I personally like the longer sight plane of a pump or auto, but I shoot a bt 99 for the reliability factor. Stick with your xt, you'll be happier in the long run. Bill in MI

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Every gun has it's "sweet spot". It's usually different for every shooters shooting it. It's your job to do what it takes to find the "sweet spot" for yourself.

In that regard, it's you. The gun wont do it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.