1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it that hard to just yell PULLLLLLL?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 6, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    If you have been in this sport for any length of time you have heard about every variation of calling for a target other than the word pull.

Every time I go to the club my wife ask me why can't shooters just yell pull when it's there turn to shoot?

I usually tell her because they want to annoy you. In truth, I think it's because if you say pull it affects the way some people have their face mounted to the stock?

Just last Sunday, I heard the following when shooters called for a target, out, a whistle, a bark like a dog, hah, now, and so forth and so on.

So here is my question, if you yell anything other than pull, what do you call, and what's the reason? I often extend the word pullll until the target breaks especially to get my rhythm back.

Does any shooter annoy you in the manner that they call for a target? I know a shooter that yells pull so loud that some times targets on an adjacent trap release.

Management has even asked him to call softer but it doesn't work for him and he annoys other shooters.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. FredB

FredB Member

PULL....immediately followed by "please, please god help me break it!"
    Does not seem to bother anyone

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have found that passing gas real loud serves the purpose too.

GneJ

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The only real issue is with the hog callers who set off the VR's on the fields on either side of them.

5. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Last year at the PA state shoot in the middle of my round I changed from pull to any of the following animals to call for my target. Pigeon , ducks, turkey, grouse I received some strange looks from my fellow shooters on that trap. This was practice though not competition.
    All in fun.

Jason in PA.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Shot with two men from KY at the 86 Grand, one said Awwwww, and the other said Chittttt. I laughed the whole first box.

7. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Very early in my shooting career I took some lessons from a very well respected champion shooter. One of the very first things he had all of us do was do away with all the funky stances......too many muscles to control 100 times out of 100. The second thing he had us do was quit screaming for the target. He showed us how hollering certain words, in a certain fashion.....makes your head move, makes the chest move, makes the gun move. Say what ever you like in the most calm confident manner you can. (This was before voice releases so it had to be loud enough for the puller to hear.)

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know how anyone can call a target so loud. By doing so you tense up your diaphragm and face muscle making it hard to break the target at least for me. I call pull, but with the emphasis towards the L and increase the tone as I call. Like "uullLL...." I use to actually say "PULL", but my P was soft and I was getting late targets.

Bryan

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

You may want to get a copy of the instruction manual; e.g., Canterbury's. The electronics are set to respond quicker to sounds such as pull vs Ho. Not to say that "H.." sounds won't work if a loud call is used but the manufacturer indicates a "P.." sound gets a quicker release. On the other hand, on Monday we had a guy in a league shoot use "pull" but his "p.." was at a lesser volume than the "..ull" which resulted in late pulls. To regress, I use to have a light call back in the old days but since the electronic voice releases, I start my call with a loud and short "Pull". I rarely get a "no bird" or a late pull. Personally I want the target when I utter a sound. My next point: I've scored over 500k targets and those who get a no bird who fail to start their routine over (such as lower the gun from the shoulder), 50% result in a lost bird when they fail to do this. Now my experience is only with pulling trap and over varied skill level shooters. Take it for what it's worth. BT100dc

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the extended pulllll as well. It seems like the guys that usually have problems with the CVRs use a real choppy call and even though the volume may be sufficient, the duration is not. Also the long drawn out call helps you look for the bird as opposed to just start moving the gun without seeing the target. The deep breath required before the call can't hurt either - our blood stream can use all the O2 we can get into it especially when we need to keep our minds sharp and focused.

But yes I have heard a bunch of funny calls - the dog bark is always a favorite.

11. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

At an ATA shoot I watched an older gentleman who was small in stature and seemingly in very fit condition shoot a couple of rounds. Each time he called for the bird he was very loud, his whole body jumped and the muzzle of his shotgun would dip about 4 to 6 inches and then he had to race like hell to catch up to the bird. Needless to say he missed quite a few targets. I always wondered if he realized how much his body was moving or if anyone ever mentioned that fact to him. Even though he missed several targets he was laughing and seemed to be enjoying himself and that's what its all about isn't it?

12. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I use an extended call more for a timing thing than anything else. About the time the call ends the gun goes off. I've noticed others do this as well.

HJH

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Get'em up!

14. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I use HAH for my call,I shoot a release seems to fit better than Pull

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I, for some reason started using "UPPP"...about 35 years ago and it stuck....nobody ever complained about it...and it seems to work fine with voice pulls. Britt Robinson called for his targets with "HUH"....and I damn sure wasn't gonna tell him to yell "PULL"...
    ron Burr

16. twotimer

twotimer Member

I saw an older gentleman At the Bama state shoot last week who had a microphone which he softly said pull into. A wire ran to a speaker on his belt, which was amplified, facing the speaker. I thought that was a great way to avoid any diaphragm movements. He shot quite well also! Mike

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I like it if the shooter that shoots just before me has a really distinctive call, helps me to keep track of when it's my turn to shoot.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It is an old man's disease

Lots of 24s... You are exactly right. Great ppost

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I agree with Old Cowboy.

-Gary

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I wanted a call that left my mouth closed at the end of the call

Pull leaves mouth open and gives variations in gun placement