1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS IT STILL CHEAPER TO RELOAD?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hELLO:
    is it still cheaper to reload? in 1970 when i started to shoot, a local gun club operator told me, start to reload your shells, you can reload them for half the price of a new box of trap shells. around 10 years ago, i sold my mec grabber, and started purchasing wal marts 4 packs federal shells. i have herad shoot has sky rocketed, but what can you reload a box of trap shells for using a high quality bag of hard shot now adays for?
    steve balistreri

2. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Cost to reload runs between $2.00 - $3.00 less than a box of AA!

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Steve, right now, my Excel spread sheet shows I can reload for about $.216/round. That's figuring Red Dot @ 89.75/eight pounds, lead @ $50/25lbs, and primers @ 32.00/k, and wads@ $70.00/5k. I don't include cost of hulls, or the cost of my press (MEC 9000G). The hulls are "free" since you get multiple reloads, and the price of a MEC 9000G figures to well under $.004/round

This cost/round is above last years early average of $.16/round.

Right now, at Dawson Enterprises, the cost of Gun Club is about $.22/round, and STS is about $.244/round.

Of course, proper reloading will yield STS quality. So I use the STS as my comparison.

YMMV

Best,
    Dennis

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Yes, it is cheaper (less expensive) to reload. You also have the ability to load exactly the shell you want. As mentioned above, about $2 a box cheaper than premium shells.

After reloading 2000 or so steel cased shells, I have decided to stick with brass cased shells. The brass is softer and simply flies through my MEC Grabber and 870 Remington.

The steel headed Federal Top Gun and Estate loads shoot well but sometimes are hard to eject from the 870. It is not a resizing problem as the difficult to eject fired shell will easily re-chamber. The steel head somehow sticks in the chamber and will not easily come out.

I enjoy reloading and, to me, is almost the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I find estates to hang up new or resized in my browning auto And 870.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I never really thought about saving money reloading. What I do like. 1. On days I would normally shoot, if I do not I reload. When I am bored I reload. 2. Theres something in shooting well with "your" reloads. I got my first 50, 75 straight with my 1oz reloads. a few weeks ago I had a hot day and went 85str8 then scoreing my first 99. I have not been any where near that since. My winter leauge average is a 22.6. I cant wait until ATA shoots start up here in MA. Reloading is fun for me. If I wanted to save money I wouldnt try it by reloading. Id cut other things out, use more coupons ect ect.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

The short answer is YES its cheaper to reload. On the order of $2 per box.

TB

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

It costs me $3.98 plus tax to reload with bought shot...significantly less with my homemade shot. Wally bullets are $5.50 plus tax and STS are $7.50 plus tax.

Buz

9. nipper

nipper TS Member

Its less expensive to reload but not cheaper

Bill

10. A23B

A23B TS Member

I find I save no money reloading, I just reload more shells and shoot more.

-= ed nast=-

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

4.21 per box with current prices paid on last componant order.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Definitely less expensive for us "steel" guys to reload with shell prices at $7/box retail. $1/# shot, $0.02 wads, $12/# powder, $0.027 primers.

I've mentioned this before, go to garage sales, keep your ears open... its amazing how often you can find folks with unused lead, wads, and primers they longer need.

Jay

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

$3.70 per 25 on 1 oz. singles load. $4.30 for 1 1/8 handycap load. AA or Remington componants, Green Dot or Clays powder, and off the shelf shot. 5000 piece prices. What is that, about $2.00 per box of twenty five cheaper for quality shells (AA or STS)? Are they better (my reloads) than new? They are custom made to work in my gun with a low recoil. After 30 years of reloading, I know what works best for my style of shooting. Is reloading worth the effort? I would say, yes, for me, anyway, but you have to like messing with cooking up new shells to make it worth while. Things work different for each shooter and each gun.

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

If you bought your components in bulk over a year ago it is definetly cheaper.

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

darr: If you bought your components yesterday it is still definitely cheaper. Ed

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

For awhile last fall with shot @ $50 a bag and Wally World still selling STSs & AAs for $6 a box, it was questionable? Now that loaded shells have went up to more like $7.50 a box it is plainly again cheaper to reload. Hopefully by summer the price of bagged shot will come down to $30 or so making reloading an even BETTER bargain?

John C. Saubak

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

It's a LOT cheaper for me. My primary load is international trap and I'm reloading them for under $4.00 per box using premium components and they are equal in performance to factory shells based on pattern and chrono tests. Factory shells are up to $70 per flat so I'm saving $3 per box. Takes me one hour to produce one flat of high quality shells so a couple of nights a week takes care of the shells for a weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.