1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it safe to use a once fired wad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I had some wads I had fired at a gun range myself and I picked up about 25 of them and I was just wondering if they are safe to shoot again? and should they still pattern about the same? Thanks

2. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

search this site for recycled wads...there are a couple threads already.

3. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Nyttro

How many cycles do you get out of your once used powder? Sounds like an interesting phenomena to say the least.

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Search and LEARN

AJ100

5. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Used wads are absolutely safe. Now that I’ve cleared that up for you, I just happen to have a large quantity of once fired wads. I’ll sell them for 1/4 cent each as long as you pick them up yourself.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

When you figure the cost of shot, powder, and primers, is it really worth spending all of that to take a chance on poor wad performance too? Even reclaimed shot is expensive. I have seen people re-use wads, but I don't. I'd rather spend the extra 50 cents or less per box and not take a chance on used wads. Just my "Not-So-Humble" opinion!

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I've got to find me another forum. Can't handle the stupidity here any longer...

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

My opinion is that there are folks out there who are not very smart. If you want to shoot target shotguns, you gotta spend money. If you do not relate to this fact, you have picked the wrong hobby. I think the primary reason I get on this site is the heartwarming feeling I get when it is clear that many here are mentally challenged. Do you change your underwear every day or do you also recycle your drawers to save money??

9. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I usually wear my under wear one day then turn inside out and wear for another day. The 3rd day I use then as a hanky to blow my nose. Fourth day is wash day !
    Now wads are another story. I only use them once then pick em up, wash them with the under wear, dry them,and sell the wads for new.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you buy 5000 claybuster wads at a time at 70.00 dollars a case it costs only 35 cents a box. No way is it worth it to me. My 2 cents worth. Break-em all. Jeff

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

yes, targetmaster, it's perfectly safe. Whether it's worth the trouble or not- only you can answer that. The armchair experts her can't do that for you.

12. pull!

pull! TS Member

i've been trying some once fired primers and I will guarantee you that they are safe to reload!!!!

13. jethro1629

jethro1629 TS Member

Back in the'70, when the "Oil Embargo" was in effect. We would go to the range an pick up wads just after a regestered shoot. Then I would put the wads into a pillow case, tie the end & throw into the washing machine with sopa like you use to wash your clothes with, warm water. When finished spread out & air dry.

Now for the hard part..........you MUST inspect each wad, make sure all petals are intact & the gas seal at the bottom is NOT DAMAGED.

Hope this helps.

Jim Dye

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Is a twice fired wad safe?

Just kidding folks.

I will shot one less box per session if I get that desperate to save 35 cents a box.

Don (who is not rich, but too lazy to pick up and wash the freaking things!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.