1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

That ammo manufacturer's are so preoccupied making ammo for one thing that they have no time for the other such as shotgun shells? Is that why we are seeing so little on the shelves and having problems getting powder and primers?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The big guys, especially Walmart are hogging most of the loading time. Most legitimate ammo distributors will tell you that. I've watched W control many a manufacturer's production with little regard for those manufacturer's bottom lines ... squeezing most of the profit out of their relationship and, eventually destroying or greatly wounding them.

I certainly hope that isn't happening in the case of the ammo companies.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Many corporations are led by people who would sell their ass, and have nothing to sit on, in exchange for a guarantee of 8 quarters where their sales numbers never go down.

I, like you, Barry, hope the ammo companies aren't like that. Because I see a steady future of Russian/Turkish/Asian crap, with much US production shut down, if they are.

This $50 a box boutique "premium defense" ammo stuff is just plain silly, and shame on the newbies to the sport who are falling for it. The ammo companies have got this figured that they can make as much on one box of that as they used to make on 10 of the regular stuff, and no longer see any reason to make ammo in USA for people who actually shoot their guns (instead of just keeping them on the nightstand).

Russian crap or $50 a box...your choice. Thanks in advance, WalMart!

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Personally, I believe that it's the component manufacturing that is causing the bottleneck. Primers and powder types are made in runs, and when the order schedule screams for large pistol primers, the 209's suffer?

As for prices, it's just predatory at this point.

Kip

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I owned a Gun Shop for 2 years in North Georgia. Although it went under, I still maintain friendships with people that I met throughout the Gun and Ammo Industry. I contacted a Regional Sales Mgr. of the largest wholesaler in the US not to long ago. I asked him where is the ammo? Manufacturers are claiming to work 3 shifts 24/7 and making more than ever. His answer to me came in form of a question:

"Consider the amount being manufactured. Consider the rise in prices over the past 6 months. Then get a good definition of Capitalism!"

Supply & Demand is the answer. Limit the supply by storing it and releasing only enough to generate price increases. This is what I believe.

blade819

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I buy what I need for a season of shooting.

From what I have seen at the Cardinal, people are stocking up. Some would say it's hoarding.

I'm not living in fear of the unknown.

If it gets critical I can slow down or quit.

Regards.....Gerald

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The volume of shotshell ammo on the shelf began diminishing about ten years ago. Back then my local WalMart would have pallets of cases of Rem-Peters 7/8 oz at 1390 12 ga for dove season at 2.89 a box. I noticed in subsequent years, long before now, that volume was way down.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Manufacturers of any type will put there maximum efforts into the highest profit, highest volume item they make with minimum effort. Everything else is made as required going down to the lowest volume, highest effort, lowest profit item. That is business. Dollars on the books rules everything short term.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

People are buying ,hoarding out of fear of the Obama administration. You could see it at the recent Cardinal shoot.

1OT