1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to wear out a K80 beyond repair?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LI, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LI

LI TS Member

I have been following with great interest the discussion on the MX guns; would anyone care to comment on the K80 in the same vein? Larry

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

I don't really know, but they have four sizes of replacement trunnions and top latches, at least on the 32s. I would expect one might start getting nervous around a million and a half rounds, given proper care and lubrication.

3. hcopd

hcopd TS Member

There was an article in Skeet Shooting Review a few years ago on a K-80 rebuild, it may even be archived on krieghoff's website, and from what it looked like if it could wear out there was a way to rebuild it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am doing the best I can to wear one out. The first 300,000 registered birds did not do it. I will report back after the next 300,000.

Pat Ireland

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a friend that is a AA shooter and never cleans his K-80---Sends it to Ottsville once in a while for a once over and thats it---These guns are made to last a lifetime---I have a Springfield Trap-Door 1884---It went through the Rev war and still shoots like it was new---I also have Krieghoff 32s that are like new---I don't think you can wear them out---JMT---SJB---

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

In how many lifetimes????

Question - Which will wear out first Pat or his purple K gun??

Don

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you are a "real" trapshooter, you won't own either a P gun or a K gun long enough to wear it out.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From hcopd:<blockquote><I>"There was an article in Skeet Shooting Review a few years ago on a K-80 rebuild, it may even be archived on krieghoff's website...</I></blockquote> K-80 or K-32 rebuild articles from the Krieghoff website: <I>Part 1</i> and <I>Part 2</I>

MK

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I think Unknown1 tells it all---They'll last many lifetimes---SJB---

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

You can blow them up so they are beyond repair...happens pretty often I hear.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Gee southblue thanks for the history lesson......

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Most of the blown ones I see are easily put back in service with a new barrel..and forend.. If you read my other thread about Perazzi steel being softer...The Krieghoff steel seems to be harder.. Perazzi has.. and always will double proof to higher PSI ratings.. same with Kolar.. I really like Kolar steel.. plus.. its built like a tank.. While it's heavier..like a Ljutic.. I don't think in 10 lifetimes you'll wear one beyond being able to easily rebuild it..

As American shooters demanded long barrels.. to keep the dynamics..some gun manufacturers went to thinner barrels.. Remember the Sterlingworth???Excellent field gun.. but blown barrels were quite common.. Many people got into trouble backboring some of the earlier barrels.. They shot fine.. but removing any steel in a already thin barrel was not always the best idea..

Hopefully.. in years to come.. higher grades of steel will be used in barrels.. Perazzi bores from solid stock each and every blank..and test steel and barrels all along the barrel making process.. Seitz and Kolar buy the highest quality barrel steel.. and also constantly test for quality and imperfections.. The Alferman brothers are also masters at steel quality as was Bill Cole..and not to leave out Bruce Bowen.. Not only a master.. but a gentleman who has my highest respect..

But.. the bottom line is.. quality cost money.. While I've never seen a Beretta O/U blown by barrel fault.. I can't say the same for a 391.. Remington and Mossberg both had issues when barrels were made in Mexico.. (short lived)..trying to save a few dollars..

i'm sorry to see Hastings go out..They made really fine barrels of excellent steel.. Anyway.. All Good.. Mike

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I know of a K-80 (Shotguns of Ulm)that was one of the 1st in this country . I remember us kidding him about paying more for it than his new Honda car.

The poor thing has practically no finish left on the wood and the checkering is barely visible because it is worn smooth ... but it still shoots like a champ!

14. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I plan to try to wear mine out but I may not live long enough if what I have read af the longevity of a K-80. I also have a 1884 Springfield that is a shooter. I believe the Revolutionary War started in 1775 and ended Around 1783. Neil

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I guess I had the wrong war--Lets try the Civil war-sorry about that but my Springfield is a real shooter---SJB---

16. webley

webley TS Member

Southjblue,

I'm sure it's a great gun, but didn't the American civil war finish somewhat before 1884?

Regards
    Russell

17. pfofml

pfofml Member

Southjblue, the Civil War ended in April of 1865.

Peter

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Well lets try the nxt war---Maybe WW2-or maybe the Spanish American war--It was one of those---SJB---

19. Crock

Crock TS Member

Larry, you don't own a gun long enough to break it in, let alone wear it out.....lol

Crock

(Ron Crockford)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.