1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to go back to pull trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Is it possible to go back to a pull trigger after shooting a release for 40+years?

I flinch and I jerk with the pull trigger.

What is the best trigger to help correct this flinch?

Dr.longshot

2. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Whats up Doc ?

You stated that:

"I flinch and jerk with the pull trigger"

What do you do with a release trigger? and why would you want to go back to flinching and jerking ?

Maybe you ought to try Bass fishing as you already made a good cast here.

Kenny U.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't go back, go foward, and get an electronic trigger. This trigger is programed to work from electronic impulses from your brain. Flinching will be a thing of the past. This trigger will definately solve your flinching problem. HMB

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HMB--Will Allems have a Roller Electronic version?

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

It is possible. I can shoot equally poor with either a pull or a release.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

With God all things are possible.

7. Automan

Automan TS Member

Yes, turn the gun backward and push trigger.

8. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I, too have shot release for trap for 40 years. What is strange is that I can shoot skeet or sporting all day long with a pull and never flinch at all. If I shoot gun off the shoulder a little bit I can shoot pulls. Ain't the brain a strange thing? Might try shooting gun down a little just to see if you can do it.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I went back after about 3 years and I'm still shooting the pull. I'm shooting less registered targets and more games.

We have an older gentlemen at our club that shoots games and has gone back because he does not trust himself with the release any more. He has probably shot well over 20 years with the release and does pretty well with the pull.

Ajax

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bad pull triggers brought about the necessity for release triggers. Some of our top shooters in trap continue winning with (good) pull triggers, Leo H. comes to mind here.

I personally use both types but my pull triggers must be right before I use them and my scores are about the same with either. That said;

It's easier to get a decent release trigger than a decent pull trigger! A good pull trigger in an O/U is tricky and not every gunsmith around can cut the mustard getting it set up and working properly!

Choice is a mind over matter, if you have no mind, it don't matter????:) We must figure out the reasons some people must shoot a release with a mounted gun and still shoot well on game with a good pull trigger? No one can shoot a decent score with a bad trigger of either kind, or I should say with any consistency!

So, yes, you can make the switch and be successful, depending.

Hap

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Well I found out I cannot go back to a pull trigger. Release will be here about wednesday or Thursday. It is one of those state of the art Solid State Release triggers with Electronic Release Parameters, the switches for the settings are on the left side of the stock where there is clearances of accidental switch settings, It is powered by 2 9 volt Copper Top Batteries, Battery life is about 6-9 months.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

No! Jerry

13. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I strongly agree with Hap about it being easier to get a decent release trigger versus pull trigger. And furthermore, a gun with mediocre pull trigger can be converted to quite a good release trigger. Like Allems did for my last 682 combo. On the other hand a bad release is a real horror. Don't even think about shooting it until you can get it fixed.

I can shoot a pull trigger all day long if it's a gun-down sport or hunting, i.e. gun not pre-mounted. And I'm not alone, it's common. Never read a really convincing explanation for it, but there you are.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hope I never have to consider anyting else....releases scare the $hit out of me...

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

ljutic 73 why would a release scare you or anyone else? a good release is a two motion operation (set/release) over a pull trigger which sets the gun off in one motion. It is all in mindset of the shooter, if you can't learn to shoot a release safely, you probably shouldn't be handling a gun.Period. Simple rules like Don't close your gun until you are ready to shoot.Keep it pointed down range, always keep muzzle in a safe direction, Learn to disarm your release. I have shot releases for years and the good ones don't pull through. My Ljutic release was very reliable, a little slower than I liked but it was a good solid release. The Seitz release was a perfect match for me and performed flawlessly,the K80 release was exceptional as well and provided good service, the only factory release I had an issue with was in a 90T, it would pull through on occasion and it drove me nuts, a trip to Racine improved it slightly but it would still pull through on occasion, I found out after I sold the gun, that sometimes a faulty cocking rod was the blame it never fully rest the sears, too bad I shot it very well, and is one of the guns I'd like to have back in my life.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

ljutic 73 must be one of those individuals with fear issues. I doubt he even drives a car and probably walks to every shoot-can't be too careful ya know!!

17. pdq

pdq Member

Sure -- to go back to a pull trigger do the following:

(a) remove the release trigger from your gun and smash it into oblivion with a 10 pound sledge hammer.

(b) install a pull trigger. Since it's your only option, you'll adjust to it as your only alternative is to not shoot

(c) If the flinch still occurs, have your gun modified to have external triggers and start loading black powder shells. The black powder produces about 1/2 the peak chamber psi, so recoil is almost nothing. And, given that you can't then see anything other than a billowing cloud of smoke, you won't even try ot raise your head to see if you broke the target.

Me? I used to have a flinch with my pull trigger, but I cured it.

I mount the gun as I normally would, but just before shooting I move my left hand back, and pull the trigger with my left index finger. Excellent for shooting singles and caps, and even better on doubles.

Pete

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Automan, I don't think suggesting suicide is funny at all.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Ollie....hold on there, pal.....I've just not been comfortable with the process when I had the chance to shoot a release....I know everyone that uses one says it's a more natural movemment then shooting a pull trigger, but to me it isn't. And I do NOT have fear issues. Don't know what gave you that idea...been driving cars, trucks, tractors, combines, shotguns and you name it for 50 years....so put your sanctimonous attitude where the sun don't shine...I JUST DON'T LIKE RELEASE TRIGGERS....nothing more...glad they work for those that need them...

Ron Burr

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ron, you used the word "scared" in your original comment. If you are willing to visit the dictionary you might see a few synonyms that aptly describe "your" words-not mine.

Yes, I agree, some shooters should stay away from any trigger-including releases. Some individuals' brains are unable to set and release a trigger-my #1 son is one of those. Sure doesn't make anyone more right or wrong-just different!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.