1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to declare up in handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The threads about the automatic reductions got me to thinking. Is it possible to declare up in handicap, that is to say shoot from a yardage further back than what you are assigned? In other words, say I'm a 22yd shooter. Can I declare 27yd, and shoot from the back fence at any given shoot?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

No.

You can request a yardage change no further back than the 25 yard line.

And you won't be reduced below your requested yardage for 2 years.

3. skeet_man

What is the likelihood of receiving your request to be moved to the 25yd line? Is the request a formality, or is it subject to approval?

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I think that most, if not all, requests are granted.

A shooter making a request would submit it to their Delegate or their Zone's Central Handicap Committee member. If submitted directly to the CHC member it is customary for the CHC member to ask the Delegate if they approve of the change also.

(See rule VI, G, 3b.)

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ian, you can do that but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it! The people standing beside you more than likely worked their butts off getting there and to have someone learn by missing a lot of targets in front of them is just not right. That was another bad rule that needs abolished! Shooters should have to earn their yardages in handicap shooting on the way back!!

Hap

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I support Hap

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

And I think these days it is harder to start moving back for a variety of reasons...one of which is that the majority of shoots are smaller, therefore scores under 96 will rarely be punched. I also have a hunch that it may be easier to shoot from say the 23 yardline than the 21 or 20 simply because the shooters at the 23 are, in theory, more rhythmic and serious. It is not fair in my view to "butt in" and shoot with those who have earned it...kinda like dues paying. Heck, I'm almost a lifetime shooter at the 20, but have been back years ago a bit...and find that my scores in the low 90's to mid 90's no longer get punched. In the old days, bigger shoots, I got punched for crazy scores in the high 80's. So we get what we put into the sport and I'm very fairly "unpunched" by today's standards and my ability, or lack of, and lack of participating often enough.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If a shooter is not shooting for prizes or awards (i.e., for "targets only") and wants to shoot from further back, why would anyone possibly care? Just asking. Regards, Ed

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Because it's the rules. Why can't you accept that. The old "what harm is it going to do" BS will ruin any sport quicker than anything else.

You don't like the rules then get them changed or not.

Don

10. APrice

APrice Active Member

Ian, what's your ATA membership number?

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Chango -

I'm not following your logic that with smaller shoots it takes higher scores to get punched, and when shoots were larger the lower scores got punched.

When you say small, are you talking about shoots with less than 14 shooters (i.e. no punch for the high score)?

At our local shoots, which I consider small, with sometimes only 50 people it's not uncommon for a low-90's score to get punched. Throw in a little wind/weather and I've seen high 80's get punched. Go to a large shoot like a zone, state, or satellite grand and scores below 96 almost never get punched.

Scott

12. skeet_man

Just for clarification, I am not an ATA member, purely a hypothetical question (but then again, you probably knew I wasn't an ATA member, since you can look up anyone on the ATA website by name, and its not hard to find my complete name...)

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My concluding statement above was: "Just asking." Okay, I can accept the explanation "Because it's the rules." I withdraw my question about "who cares?" - somebody does. Was not trying to "ruin" the sport. Geeezzsshh! But Best Regards, anyway. Ed

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

In rural areas here in west central Iowa there are lots of registered shoots that have less than 15 people. Also here the wind blows about 30 MPH until at least July which makes it pretty tough to shoot good scores at yardage.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. The purpose of the rule was to allow people who wanted to shoot in the same squad to be able to.

16. APrice

APrice Active Member

Full disclosure is always enlightening!

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Shooting from any yardage other than that assigned is an auotomatic disqualification.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Because it's the rules. Why can't you accept that."</I></blockquote>Why? Because that's the most pathetic rationalization there is. It's not a reason. Rules don't get changed because there are too many old whiners in the ATA who have this ludicrous idea that rules exist to make conditions perfect for them. They can't/won't shoot otherwise: "Mommy. I can't hit my targets because the bad man beside me keeps missing his. Waaa!" That's complete and utter garbage!

I quit the ATA years ago because belonging to it took all the relaxation and enjoyment out of trap. This is a perfect example of that.

Keller

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Keller, since I was the only poster that mentioned having a shooter next to him miss continually I'll say this. I can see why you no longer choose to shoot in competition events.

" "Mommy. I can't hit my targets because the bad man beside me keeps missing his. Waaa!" That's complete and utter garbage!"

Garbage is great food if your a pig? Shooters at the 25 yard line have put forth the necessary effort,time and money to be a competitive shooter in ATA handicap. Watching all but 15 targets sail off to the ground from a person shooting next to you certainly isn't adding much help to your game! If one is fun shooting only, there's practice traps for perfecting a two bit aim.

That's why I said the ATA EC made a huge mistake giving these fun shooters that choice so they wouldn't have to earn the steps everybody else paid damned dear for!!

Hap

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting trap, a man or woman who made the 27 yard yard line was respected for his or her accomplishment. This was a big deal and still should be today. Over the years, I have seen some shooters attend very small shoots to get back to the 27 yard line quicker than normal. Than when they attend large shoots most fall on their face.

The way to get to the 27 yard line is to earn your way there, as you would also have the respect of your fellow competitors. I feel it would be very wrong to ask to be assigned on the 27 yard line, what would be next, buy your way there?

To get to the 27 yard line without earning your way there, would be a slap in the face to every 27 yard shooter that ever participated in our sport. I realize that you are just asking a question, but every shooter needs to respect the people who paved the way, and respect the sport, the ATA, and it's rules.
    Just my opinion.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.