1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it poss to swap mx8 wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lovethesport, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

From one mx8 to another mx8 without requiring alterations to the wood--

Looking to buy a used stock and fore- end and want make sure it will work.

Any tips on what to look out for are appreciated

Thanks

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

loves. Usually no problem. Just go slow as you tighten the screw and watch the tolerance of the tangs to the wood cutouts. If the metal seats in the top tang or at the bottom trigger frame, then you will need to Dremel out a few thousandths other wise the stock will crack at the bottom and usually chip on the top. I have a pic of my repaired MX3 stock somewhere. I bought my stock years ago and had it in inventory and did not know it was chipped. I repaired it and relieved the tang area and plus I had Doug Braker "accrabed" the bolt tang area around the stock bolt. I'll go find a pic and come back. (I hope)( I can find it)

[​IMG]

The forend will switch out similarly if the wood was made for a type 4. But not for a type 3 to type 4. It has to have the bolts that go into the end of the iron. Again, I'll look for a pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look Ma... no gloves.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Newer stocks will fit on older MX's but the older ome's need a little work with a carving tool or dremel, to make room for the locking block trip cam on the right side.

Ed Yanchok

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good discussion by MIA

I think it has more to do with the tolerance of the wood fitting- just be careful but any fitting required will be minor in nature- but that minor could result in a crack(usually right behind the tang) if you arent careful

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. gordy h

gordy h Member

What about a MX3 Spec. Will a stock from any MX fit with miner wood inleting?
    Thanks Butch H

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The MX8 type is slighty different from the flat type MX3/MX15 around the lower area near the trigger guard. The wood follows the "sea shell" contour of the receiver. They will fit fine, and most won't notice it unless you look close.

7. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Thanks guys -- after using a pfs - have found out that I am better of shooting a Monte Carlo__i appreciate the insights very much--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.