1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to use a sporting gun for trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ahab, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Would anyone really care? Nope!

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

IF it shoots shoot it. I shot 870 exspress 28" for trap for 1.5 years before settling on a trap dedicated gun. I still shoot the 870 well.

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i've seen guys shoot decently with a 26" tactical shotgun. Looks silly...until you break 25 straight with it.

4. oz

oz Active Member

I use a sporting clays gun for everything. I have shot 100 in registered trap and have shot several 98's also. I have fun and I really could give a s*** if someone looked down their nose at me. Trapshooters are a nice bunch and trap is fun. skeet is boring. sporting is the best, most fun. oz

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The 2007 ATA rule book states: "No Skeet, field or SPORTING CLAYS guns are to be used in any registered events, unless they have release triggers installed". That's on page 27, see for yourself.

Tron.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I think I shot trap for almost 20 years with a field grade 1100 and a Citori Lightening before someone even told me there was such a thing as a "TRAP" gun. The past three years I've been shooting registered trap with a "TRAP" gun I do shoot better with my trap guns, but I had as much fun with the others. If it fits and you shoot it well, enjoy it.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

st8shuter:

You really don't need to worry about the shotgun you are using so long as you are able to break targets with it and are mindful of other shooters. If it is a semi-auto, use of a shell catcher will be appreciated by the other shooters on your squad.

Many trap shooters started out with field grade guns and shot them well.

I started out with a field grade, plain barrel; 28” modified 870 and then moved to a field grade, vent rib 1100 with a 30” full barrel. I broke a few 25 straights with it and then bought a trap grade 870 with a 30” full and Monte Carlo stock.

My scores immediately dropped to the low teens and I could not hit a straightaway on post three. After several hundred targets, things started to click and I started shooting better.

Whenever you switch guns, especially from a field grade/sheet/sporting clays gun to a trap grade, IMO you need to shoot at least 1000 targets to let your eyes and brain get used to the new gun.

I would also suggest that you select one load and stay with it. A 2 ¾ -1 – 8 will work fine for 16’s and short handicap. Some shooters shoot this load all the way back to the 27.

Good luck.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

A general rule of thumb is to buy a gun suited to the game you plan to shoot the most. Personally, I found switching guns for different games to be very frustrating. I shoot my trap gun for all the clay target games. I would not want to carry my trap gun all day for upland, nor drag it through a swamp to shoot a duck. JMHO Bill Malcolm

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It don't matter, Shoot whatever your comfortable with and can break the targets. I started out with a field stocked 24 inch barreled 1100. The old guys gave me some crap about it, But that all stopped when I started taking some of their money.

Jim

10. gotbass

gotbass Member

That would be a felony in nine states. On the other hand worrying about how you look is felony stupid (don't mean it to sound harsh). What I have seen of trap shooters and other shooters for that matter is that no one is worrying about about looking stupid, at least no the way they are dressed. By the way I am dressed like the rest of them. LOL Mike

11. webley

webley TS Member

Tron,
    Regarding your comment relating to the ATA rule book:

How exactly do the ATA define a "sporting clays" gun?

Regards
    Russell

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gordy- You would have enjoyed shooting with Walt Meadows (West VA, now deceased). Walt sometimes shot a Mossberg bolt action with a rib made from wood he glued on the barrel. In his later years he shot a Mossberg O/U that looked like he stored it buried in the ground between shoots.

Walt made his own wads from heavy cardboard and used tissue paper as a filler wad. He put a little less than 7/8 oz of shot in his reloads.

Walt won more than his share of trophies including a couple of state championships. I miss watching Walt sleep sitting on the bench between events.

Pat Ireland

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot a Browning 425 Sporting 32". I was intially sort of forced into it when we were required to shoot steel ammo and all my other guns were belgium-made vintage firearms up to that time. Since it was the only gun that was "modern" enough, I began using it and have continued to use it for the past 8 years.

I've put a mercury recoil reducer in the butt and comp-sight on the rib, but otherwise that's it and enjoy it! I look NO different than most of the other guys on the line using a O/U.

Jay Spitz

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I and my wifes uncle went to a shoot in Southern Ill back in the 70's. It was a fairly nice club, and the people were very friendly. There was this one person there who was the forth generation Great Grandson to Davie Crockett. He was shooting a nice Remington 870 Trap gun. The main thing about it was he had gone and whittled down the stock and made the comment when he was asked why he did this to a good Trap gun with beautiful wood. "It just didn't fit me properly". He stood about 5'8" tall and was very stout. I'd a hated to go against him in chopping wood. Had hands like a bears paws. You could see where he whittled out the comb and shortened the leingth of the stock some. He could shoot it fairly well. It was a fun day!! Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tron gets better all the time.

HM

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Without getting into all the dribble of this and that a simple answer to your question is ... YES ... you may use a sporting gun for trap.

17. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I saw a kid in the Ca. state shoot come in 3rd in the state handicap event with a 97 using a K sporting grade gun!!!!He beat the US national 5 stand champ about 1 month prior to that using the same gun!!!Use whatever works!!
    PJ

18. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I found myself wanting to pull out what little hair I had left when I tried to shoot trap with the Beretta 686e Sporting that I used to own. Since I will always shoot more trap than sporting, I traded the Beretta for a Browning XT, and I definitely shoot better trap scores with it. IMHO, I would rather shoot sporting clays with this XT, than try to shoot trap with a sporting clays gun. However, "YMMV", and whatever works for you is the way to go. - JoeBerg

19. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

I am class A shooter and have been using 687SPII Sporting for years.........works for me

panthers314

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know now that I think about it I want to change my answer to ... NO ... you must and must only use a special trap gun to shoot trap and the more expensive the gun is the more special it is and the more special it is the higher your scores will be.

Now go forth and get your self a special trap gun if you want to shoot this sport or else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

using a sporting gun for trap shooting