1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it OK to shoot trap after work in NJ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Here is the scenario:

I want to leave my house in the morning with my trap gear in the car trunk. Spend the day at work and then drive directly to the range.

Problem is that the NJ exemption for possessing a firearm in the car N.J.S. 2C:39-6 requires that you travel directly from your home to the range.

However, the prohibition on having the gun in your car in N.J.S. 2C:39-5 only applies to handguns, an unloaded long gun if you do not have the purchaser card or a loaded long gun. It does not appear to prohibit an unloaded long gun if you have the purchaser card, which I do.

Accordingly, even though the exemption does not apply it appears that the prohibition would not apply either.

Anyone know if the prohibition applies to unloaded long guns if you have the purchaser card?

Note, I do not want to rely on the exemption which says you can transport a firearm to and from your "place of business" because the courts in NJ only consider your place of busines to be your place of business if you own the business. In other words, unless you own the business they give you the business.

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Wow, there's someplace worse then California?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get a determination from the DA, and carry a copy of it if it's favorable.

or loan your gun to your friend who lives by the range.

HM

4. Bushmaster1313

Special rule against lending your gun and DA will not give advisory opinion!

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

"If" you were ever stopped, you "would" tell the officer that you "were" going directly from your home to the range, right? That's one law that I would not be overly concerned about unless you plan on sticking up the local 7-Eleven somewhere along the way.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

My personal knowledge of New Jersey Law is nearly nothing. I would never try to answer a question based on no knowledge. I suspect some others will offer answers and I hope they know more about New Jersey Law than I do.

Pat Ireland

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As one said above you are coming from your house to the range. If the officer asks to search your car, No sir you may not unless you have a warrent. Hope you have a garage. Put your car in and close the door and put your gear in. Come home do the same. Don't tell when asked don't inform for any reason. Just do it and shut the hell up. The way people get caught is when they open their mouths and say the wrong thing.

8. Bushmaster1313

Not looking for how to get out of the law.

Looking to determine what the law actually is in the Liberal anti-gun state.

If I did not care about the law I could take my chances, but there is a real risk of my car being stolen at work. Remember, this is the crime free utopia of New Jersey, where you can go to prison for years and lose your 2nd Amendment rights forever over a flash suppresor and a bayonet lug! .

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

DA will not give an opinion. I have run into this crap before on other issues.

Ask him if he would prosecute for posession of unloaded long gun with card?

Also WTF do they do if you buy the gun, how do you transport it home?

HM

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Not to be cold but if your that scared MOVE like someone in a post above said.

11. Bushmaster1313

Job is in NJ

Looking for answer not criticism, even if the criticism is well meant.

And it's not just a question of being scared for myself. I am also looking out for my guns. For the slightest technical violation the gun grabbers at the State Police would grind my antique and historic trap guns into smithereens

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Make sure your employer isn't like AOL - prohibit firearms on their property. AOL fired two employees some time ago for having their guns locked in the trunks of their cars for the same reason.

Ed

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

"Anyone know if the prohibition applies to unloaded long guns if you have the purchaser card?"

The answer is no. The exemptions that seem to be confusing you seem to mainly deal with nonresidents or others that aren't required to have the purchaser card. The exemptions allow them to travel for the stated purposes. If you have the card, you can possess unloaded long-guns; the restrictions, and thus the exemptions, have no impact on you.

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

There is really no clear answer here. NJ sucks (I know I live here too) and it's vague.

1) If you do get stopped, just say that you are going home or to the range. Better yet, don't even mention it. They won't ask unless you raise a flag.
    2) If they do search (unlikely to begin with), then just say that you have it. You own it legally so no sweat. Preventing the search by asking for a warrant is guaranteed to cause you a LOT more problems.
    3) Lastly, I would be more afraid of having it stolen out of the car or just having the car stolen with it in the trunk.

15. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Bushmaster, I face the same issue being here in NJ. I decided a while back not to have my Citori in the car even broken down in a locked case unless I was going to the range. My Company is very clear as well....any gun on the property of any kind in any condition (broken down, unloaded, etc) will result in immediate dismissal. It just is not worth the risk. I know how you feel, though. I would move but jobs paying what I make do not grow on trees. Someday, I will be a native of Tennessee, Arkansas or other state where the authorities do not take an immense personal pleasure in enforcing laws that do not do one whit to reduce crimes committed with firearms. And where the weather is better!!!

16. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

N.J.S.2C:3-6e.&f exemptions it is ok to transport to and from,hunting,place of business,residence and target range. They must be transported as follows: 1 unloaded 2 contained in a closed fastened case 3 and reasonable deviation from origin to destination. You can take you gun from home to work and then to range then to home.Source is Evan Nappen on NJ gun law.A book by Evan Nappen gun attorney Nj.Page 136 Hope this helps

If you are coming from out of Nj to Nj then according to "The firearm owners protection act"U.S.C.18 926A you may transport your firearm as long as you are lawfully able to possess a firearm in your state and they are not, and the ammo is not readily accesible to you in the passenger compartment.Source Evan Nappan on NJ gunlaws page 136.He also recommends aquiring a copy of the firearms owner protection act and keeping it with you because many officers are unaware of this right.Shoot well.You might want to buy his book its very informative in a Q&A format......Don

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

To you NJ shooters with the purchaser cards, what statute is worrying you? I don't see anything in the statute listed by the OP that restricts transporting in your vehicle, other than the usual unloaded, locked etc.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I would accept what ks5shooter and 870 have stated, plus the chances of being stopped are very slim to none. If you have more doubts then a stop or call to the nearest police station or State Police barracks or office can ease your mind. Biggest problem I see here is whether your place of work has a ban on weapons of any sort being stored in your car on their premises. I life in NJ and only 4 miles from my Trap range so this wouldn`t apply to me but I do detour to family and friends houses after shooting but I have no worries.

19. Bushmaster1313

N J statutes are confusing to say the least but on further relflection there does not seem to be a prohibition on keeping an LONG GUN in the trunk provided it its UNLOADED you have obtained the PURCHASER ID CARD.

Still, be careful out there

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hard to believe we live in the same country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.