1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to sell a gun to the highest bidder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

When selling a gun on this site is it ok to sell by bid, or is it better to sell by a given price? Thanks, Dale

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Put a price in it with a note that you'll accept other offers, then sell it to the first person who say's "I'll take it" or accept the first offer you like.
    but then never back out of that offer if a few minutes later a higher one comes in.

3. 548

548 Guest

It's just fine to sell to the highest bidder if that's what you say you are going to do in your original post. Once you declare the gun sold, higher offers must be refused.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Put a time frame on the auction. Just make it long enough so it gets good exposure. Add a reasonable minimum bid of what you are willing to accept.

5. lwr_

lwr_ Member

If you are going to auction a gun, put it on Gunbroker or GunAuction. If you are going to sell it on Trapshooters, post an asking price.

6. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Agree with lwr on this one. This is a classified section, not an auction site.

7. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

This is not an auction site.

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

It seems a bit distasteful to troll on this site for the highest bidder on a firearm. Do your research, post a reasonable price, and perhaps that you will consider offers if that is your wish. Done in this manner will generally result in a sale.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There have been a few that tried an auction sale on TS.Com, not sure how they turned out ... Personally, I wouldn't get involved with an auction unless I considered the price to be really below the actual market value ... If I was the highest bidder I would expect the sale to be completed, unless there was a stated reserve price ... I would think that if you have an auction on this site you would pay the owner a percentage of the sale for affording you a place to post it in the first place ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have seen some unknowing sellers offer things for a ridiculously low prices. Then are snapped up by the dealers and resellers on here in minutes from posting. I think in these cases it's obvious they were not aware of the true value and have no obligation to sell it. This isn't ebay and I don't think it's any different when someone says I'll take it and later decides not to complete the sale. There is no recourse with this site. I hope it stays friendly and no one is taken advantage of. Sellers should do their homework or just post pictures and ask what their item is worth. Someone is sure to make an offer for them to consider. My 2 cents

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

This is a trap enthusiast website with a "For Sale" section. Here, as with other enthusiast forums (cars, wine, boats, etc), you will find educated buyers who are aware of the current market value of an item. The Sale section is full of overpriced items that have been available for a long...long time.

In general, if you come here to sell an item, you should do some homework by looking at other similar guns and price that item fairly so that the seller and the buyer end up happy. If the price is too high, it will not sell. Just because your Perazzi/Browning/Beretta/Remington only has 30 rounds thru it rather than 500 doesn't mean it will fetch another $5000. The market is pretty well understood at this site. At that point you re-evaluate your pricing or your desire to sell your item.

Last, understand what you are selling. If you have a rare or expensive gun, there is a much smaller pool of potential buyers than something more mundane. It may take some time to match up the right buyer with the right gun. Not everyone can afford a Fabbri, but that doesn't mean there aren't Fabbri enthusiasts here.

If you want to auction something or feel that your item is worth more than similar items sold here, then by all means take it to an auction site and try to swim in a larger pool. But that generally means you will be selling to a less informed buyer and will have to deal with all of the other risks of selling online.

Oh and one final note. All of my comments assume that you are a legitimate seller looking to make an honest sale. There are a lot of good people here whose word is their bond. If you come here looking to swindle a few bucks, be aware that you will find few friends and your intentions will be outed.

Good luck!

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The only auction I would particpate in on TS is help a member or for a charity .
    IMHO Buddy

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I was not aware TS.COM was a "ebay" style format?????? If you want to auction something take it on over to gunbroker. Do your own research...figure out what YOU want for it. Dont do this bs and say "whats my widget worth" in the general discussion area just to fish for a buyer. That pizzes me off.
    Good sellers here know what there stuff is worth and price it either to sell or price it to just hang it out there and if some sucker buys it at that price fine. But if you price it and someone says.........."I will take it" to me that is as good as a handshake with my word. A seller that drags his feet even after a FULL price offer has been extended just to try and pull a few more bux is not a good seller IMO.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Agree 100% ,..if you want to hold an auction go to GB.com...on TS..just post a price and don't play BS games...Not mentioning names but I stated I would take a gun at the sellers asking price within 2 minutes of its posting... a good 2hrs after my PMs and posts with my info and PMs..someone came after me offering a $100 addition to the asking price,..the seller then said I was first but he wanted the asking price plus the $100 which I begrudgingly agreed to knowing it was dirty pool the way it played out..often wish TS would have an established sellers policy like some sites for ads

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wow Calvin, that is BS. I would have named names. Them again I'm not sure I'd have paid the extra $100. Talk about some dirty play.

On the subject of this thread, I agree with the majority. This us a talk forum that happens to have a For Sale section. Nothing here is set up for an auction.

Just Say'n.........

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If it not that the asking price + $100 was still very reasonable and it was a FTF deal I would have definantly called foul and withdrew my intent to purchase

17. 682b

682b Member

Himark , not everyone who asks what his widget is worth is fishing for a buyer. I have asked what a item is worth several times because I just didn't know. If you have something that is not a well known item (gun type or strange model) where should one go to do their du diligence I routinely put notes in or on my stuff so someone knows what I think its worth. That does not mean my wife will not do something foolish. I did this after my wife said she would throw 40 bags of shot away when I die to just get it out of the garage. I always thought that was a function of the board to give honest information on shooting related topics. I trust the members opinions more than at any other general site (shotgun world) Some members of the board like to give their opinions on gun values. This brings me back to the dying guy who told his friend to make sure his wife does not sell his guns for what he told her he paid for them but what they are worth. I am not trying to be confrontational but that is how I feel. Jim

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you are going to auction a gun, put it on Gunbroker or GunAuction. If you are going to sell it on Trapshooters, post an asking price.

I also agree with Buddy, if it is for a charity then ok

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

Didnt Foggy have an auction on here a few years ago ? Maybe my mind is playing tricks again .

20. himark

himark Well-Known Member

bigboy,
    I do agree there would be some items that very well may be hard to pin down no matter how much internet browsing you can do to find a value (odd rare items). However, there are people that abuse that in the way i describe. ie, "whats my bt99 worth" holy crap that is one of the most sold guns on here and they post things like that. Those are the ones that ruin it for legitiment claims like yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.