1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to dry fire my shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Will I break my firing pin if I dry fire my shotgun? I hear some guys say you will and some say you won't. I just bought a new Ruger sr1911 45acp and the manual says it's ok to dry fire the pistol. Thanks, Dale

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Break open gun, no, don't dry fire them. Semiauto or pump gun, it shouldn't hurt them. Mark

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's OK. The more you dry fire it the smoother the action will get. If something breaks you can buy a new gun. HMB

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It is said that for some guns it is safe and for others it is not. Snap caps are cheap and you can make one for free. Why not just use a snap cap? Jeff

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

you should never go swimming either until you wait 60 minutes!!! I often wonder how much truth to any of these type of statements and dryfiring seems to be right in there with that IMO.

I think its a good question. Anybody with some reasons why dryfiring hurts a gun? It doesnt seem like it should???

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

This is the Terry Jordan snap cap: Cut a hull in half (not sideways) knock out the primer, squirt in a nice dollop of RTV silicone, push in a wad until the RTV comes out of the primer hole, let it set for a few days, until hard, cut off the excess flush with a razor blade, and you've got as good a snap cap as you'll find anywhere. Use that and don't worry about the firing pin(s).

best.....mike

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

My BT 99 I dry fired 1000s of times never a problem.

BT 100 twice, two broken firing pins.

Snap caps are a pain the azz if you have ejectors.

8. 3357

3357 Member

Mr. Ljutic told me to NEVER dryfire my mono-gun. Always use a snap cap.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't. Doesn't make sense to put the pin through a job it wasn't designed to perform. Perazzi says it's Ok and their factory smithys do it regularly but I cringe when they do it on my gun. Snap caps are cheaper than firing pins.

10. creek

creek Member

It depends on the manufacturer. Kolar advises you should dry fire their break open shotguns...other companies say not to do it. It all depends how they are built.

John

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'll tell you a story that Gary Rainey told me once. He was one of the first junior shooters to shoot Pguns. His dad, Ralph, bought him two. A Comp One OU and a Comp One single barrel. The single barrel is the TM version of their fine guns and has a pin that travels parallel with the barrel.

Gary had his SB in to the Perazzi booth at the Grand and one of their smiths dry fired it with the gun pointing straight upward. The tip of the pin broke away traveled up the barrel and hit the florescent tube above the work bench and shattered it.

Probably just a fluke but ... I'm just saying. Don't do it unless you have to.

12. 548

548 Guest

Here's another question. So I use a couple snap caps to relieve pressure on my firing pins before disassembly and storage. But, don't I "re-cock" my firing pins when I open the action for disassembly?

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The answer is , "No". With break-action guns, the action of cocking the hammers is accomplished when the fore-end is affixed to the action. When you relieve the spring tension on the hammers through firing the gun either with a live shell, a snap cap or "dry firing", and you remove the fore-end before opening the gun again, the gun's hammers cannot be cocked. There may be some odd-ball break-action guns where this is not the case but I can't think of any offhand.

14. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I had a very similar experience with an early TM-1. Tip of pin came right out of the muzzle end of the barrel. I had a machinist friend precision grind a new pin out of an allen wrench. Worked very well but I never, on purpose, dry fired it again. I believe shortly after (early to mid 1970's) Perazzi went to a two piece pin design.

Why take a chance with any gun. Snap caps are cheap and easy to use insurance.

Hint: Perazzi TM's and Ljutics will let the hammer down slowly and softly by having the trigger pulled and held while closing the action. I then disassemble gun for storage and the hammer spring is relaxed. May work for other brands but not all.

RWT: My friend has a KS-5 and he told me the hammer is cocked by opening movement of the break open lever. Has nothing to do with forend being affixed. I know of no other made like this. Marc

15. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Not if you remove the forearm first

16. 548

548 Guest

Thanks birdogs.

17. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Luvstrapguns,

I had a Beretta that cocked with a "trigger" in front of the trigger guard.

I have seen a few that cocked with the tang also.

18. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

As a trapshooter I am surprised that you didn't know that.

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Never let an opportunity to slap someone go by.

20. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Yaki,

Is that like, "never let a crisis go to waste"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does it hurt to dry fire a model 32 kreigoff

safe to dry fire a kreigoff shotgun